Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2022, 08:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Thanks guys.

As soon as these Easter holidays end, I’ll be on the phone to my closest repairer and have the deed done.

I’ll keep you guys posted on outcomes…

Interesting about the EPS….how can I determine if 11S or 10S?

Splash
There is no 10s Campagnolo EPS, just some proto type stuff 2005-late 2009...11s happened in 2009, EPS in 2013...How many cogs ya got 'back there'?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-17-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There is no 10s Campagnolo EPS, just some proto type stuff 2005-late 2009...11s happened in 2009, EPS in 2013...How many cogs ya got 'back there'?
Thanks for this - I will confirm this later this month - currently working away from home.

Cheers
Old 05-02-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
As a fellow XR1 rider (and lover) I feel your pain, mate.

Please report back once repaired.
OK - I have committed to the repair.

Luescher Teknik Pty Ltd are the repairer.

They have performed a visual scan, ultrasound and acoustic sweep over the affected area.

The reported damage was "crack/delamination in the DS SS 30mm x 16mm at the outer face located 105mm from the DO. Grade 3."

"Grade 3 - Damage to carbon structure, including partial breakage of structure (-50%), delamination and cracking."

The repair will include re-painting and comes with a 5 year warranty.

When I receive the frameset back, i will upload photos of the repaired area.

Splash
Old 05-02-2022, 07:54 PM

Old 05-02-2022, 08:10 PM

im riding a carbon bike that had its seat stay repaired.

the bike has been fine ever since

keep enjoying your xr1 .. a fine bike

Last edited by Forza20; 07-05-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:50 PM

Thanks Forza20.

I have read online that Bianchi chose to have ultra thin seat stays on the XR1/2 just to save a bit of weight.

If this is true, it seems ridiculous and yes an amazing design oversight in my humble view.

Just how much weight would be saved by reducing the section size of these 2 members?

Anyway, how would you think the XR1 performs/handles when compared to the XR4 with CV?

Splash
Old 05-03-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza20 View Post
im riding an xr2 that had its seat stay repaired.

the bike has been fine ever since

i have seen dozens of xr1/ 2 with the same issue

clearly a design deficiency

keep enjoying your xr1 .. a fine bike

This surprises me. I have 30,000+km on my XR1 and I'm 1.98m and 81kg with an FTP well over 350w and no issue whatsoever. Bike is robust!
Old 05-03-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
I have read online that Bianchi chose to have ultra thin seat stays on the XR1/2 just to save a bit of weight.

If this is true, it seems ridiculous and yes an amazing design oversight in my humble view.

Just how much weight would be saved by reducing the section size of these 2 members?
In particular with carbon bikes, this is an important design question: should you add material that will do nothing to enhance performance while riding, but will make the bike more durable in case of a crash or if knocked around in the garage?

For me, I would absolutely endure a small weight penalty in order to avoid a broken frame, but for someone who wants a high performance racing bike... maybe not?

A seatstay requires very little strength in normal use, and as we saw at last year's TdF, their existence at all isn't entirely necessary.

https://youtu.be/vPn_b1Exa58

So if you're only designing a bike for riding, you make the seatstays as thin and light as possible.

Quote:
This surprises me. I have 30,000+km on my XR1 and I'm 1.98m and 81kg with an FTP well over 350w and no issue whatsoever. Bike is robust!
These things don't break from riding, within any realm of human power. They break from side impact, because carbon fiber is generally much less strong that way (particularly if engineered for low weight).
Old 05-03-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
In particular with carbon bikes, this is an important design question: should you add material that will do nothing to enhance performance while riding, but will make the bike more durable in case of a crash or if knocked around in the garage?

For me, I would absolutely endure a small weight penalty in order to avoid a broken frame, but for someone who wants a high performance racing bike... maybe not?

A seatstay requires very little strength in normal use, and as we saw at last year's TdF, their existence at all isn't entirely necessary.

https://youtu.be/vPn_b1Exa58

So if you're only designing a bike for riding, you make the seatstays as thin and light as possible.

These things don't break from riding, within any realm of human power. They break from side impact, because carbon fiber is generally much less strong that way (particularly if engineered for low weight).
The comment I responded to was that it was a design deficiency. If it's an impact issue, duh, of course it'll snap.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:12 PM

Great video Prototoast! Thank you

Just curious....

If a very keen weight weenie who was obsessed with bike weight had a choice between 2 x aero framesets supplied by the same manufacturer with everything exactly the same - except 1 x frameset having thinner seat stays (with a total weight saving of say.... approx. 5 Oz), which choice of frameset would be made?

Would this magnitude of weight saving really make a performance difference on this aero frameset (keeping in mind that this is not a lighter dedicated climbing frameset)?

There seems to be a significant increase in thickness in the seat stays for the XR4 frameset - over the XR1/2.

It would be good to understand why Bianchi re-designed this aero XR4 frameset with thicker, heavier seat stays....

Splash

Last edited by Splash; 05-04-2022 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post

if a very keen weight weenie who was obsessed with bike weight had a choice between 2 x aero framesets supplied by the same manufacturer with everything exactly the same - except 1 x frameset having thinner seat stays (with a total weight saving of say.... Approx. 5 oz), which choice of frameset would be made?

Would this magnitude of weight saving really make a performance difference on this aero frameset (keeping in mind that this is not a lighter dedicated climbing frameset)?
no
Old 05-28-2022, 09:53 PM

Hi Team.

The frameset (right rear seat stay) has now been repaired and back with me.

The finished repair is amazing and I cannot see any difference to the affected painted area.

It feels strong and looks new.

Cost a lot of money, but the quality of repair is A1.

Luescher is the repairer (Melbourne, Australia). They are experts in this field.

Thank you all for your guidance in this journey, and the recommended repairer.

Photo of repaired job below. (Photos of damaged area shown in the original post in this thread).

Splash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (123.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (35.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (73.3 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Splash; 05-28-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:00 PM

Woohoo another XR1 back on the road. Enjoy!
Old 05-28-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Woohoo another XR1 back on the road. Enjoy!
Thanks - Yes, I will rebuild / reinstall everything and back to riding it. I do miss riding it dearly :-(.

Old Potatoe - 11 cogs at the back.

Splash
Old 05-29-2022, 10:36 AM

looks good congrats !

btw, another issue with the xr1/ xr2 is galvanic corrosion on the aluminum rear dropouts

but if the repair guy never said anything, then thats a good sign