Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 AM

OT: Anyone wrenching on their own vintage Porsche?

I've seen the occasional inadvertent reveal in garage shots of bikes.

As crazy as it is, I have been getting the itch again and I need the skinny--the highs, the lows, maybe why I should buy a Miyata instead.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 AM

I have a 30 year old 3.2 Carrera and it's been completely reliable. It's a simplistic design that is over 60 years old at this point. EVERY possible issue and modification has been documented and discussed over the years and can be found online at multiple sources including Pelicanparts and Rennlist. Other than the lack of clearance around the motor (due to FI and exhaust components) to do certain maintenance items (valve adjusts/plugs/etc), it's an easy car to work on. Most parts are still available. However, each era of 911 has certain factory flaws that can cost big $$$ to repair. The 3.2s have headbolts that like to randomly snap and short-lived valve guides that require a top end rebuild which can run around $8K. You can buy a nice Miata for that amount!

With that said, I do believe that a Miata (or better yet - a S2000) would be easier to live with. The cars have as much support as the 911, have fewer big $$$ flaws to suck money out of your pocket, and have functional AC if that is important to you. Plus, they're both competent platforms and are a blast to drive. The entry point to play is also much less. The S2000s and first two generations of Miatas have already reached the bottom of their depreciation and nice examples have been increasing in price the last couple of years. Personally, I'm tempted to sell the 911, buy a minty Gen 2 S2000 and leave it at that. They're just so easy. Miata/S2000 = less wrenching/more driving.

Texbike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 911.JPG (49.9 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg 911 2.JPG (46.8 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by texbike; 08-12-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 AM

I wrench on my avatar ( the '57 Citröen 2cv) because, as an old French mechanic told me in explaining ring tolerance, " this is not a Porsche!".

It's soothing, in a way. The simpler the car, the better, though.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 AM

Emissions and other laws made the return of the easy, simple and reliable type of cars hard to come back. Those 2cv are so hard to kill IN my country guys were racing on those, tricked the stock engines and the suspension, same with other cars like the fiat 600 and the fiat 125. Bigger carburetor here and there, resizing of the piston levers and the cars were getting pretty quick for a 1000 cc engine. Really fun to drive

One of my friends at the univ. had a fiat 600 tricked, top speed of 140 km/h in that thing was just insane.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:05 AM
ferro verum est

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
With that said, I do believe that a Miata (or better yet - a S2000) would be easier to live with. The cars have as much support as the 911, have fewer big $$$ flaws to suck money out of your pocket, and have functional AC if that is important to you. Plus, they're both competent platforms and are a blast to drive. The entry point to play is also much less. The S2000s and first two generations of Miatas have already reached the bottom of their depreciation and nice examples have been increasing in price the last couple of years. Personally, I'm tempted to sell the 911, buy a minty Gen 2 S2000 and leave it at that. They're just so easy. Miata/S2000 = less wrenching/more driving.
But if you don't drive a Porsche how will you let the world know you are sophisticated with exquisite taste??
Old 08-12-2017, 08:58 AM

Considering I just listed my Miata for sale for $3200, it hurts to see a Porsche owner recommend one. A 911 has been my dream car since my "poster on the wall" days. Fun to look at, sucks to think they are a financial timebomb! That's a beauty you have there Texbike!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
But if you don't drive a Porsche how will you let the world know you are sophisticated with exquisite taste??
Get a Pegoretti with Campagnolo and expound on how all other bikes are inferior.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 AM

Give up a 911 for a Miata?

Oh man. There's so much wrong in that line of reasoning.

Might as well get a Toyota minivan, lower it, tweak the suspension, and have a go at it. You know, because it's so reliable and easy to maintain.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Nice car, Texbike, and thanks for the unvarnished appraisal. I have (over the years) hung out on Rennlist, used to subscribe to Excellence and have had the desire ever since my brother and I caught the bug (from Car and Driver) BITD.

I had a short time owning a beater 944 (so I can say I owned a Porsche?)--and experiment that was cut short by a transmission failure and us leaving the country--car was donated since time was short...

Part of what prompted my post was the realization that the 911-964s (that I had picked a decade or so ago) as future classics have now had runaway appreciation and are now out of reach for me. (In fact, I just put my 'Companion' guide to the 964s by Adrian Streather on eBay that I purchased in case I ran across the 'right car' more than a decade ago). The older 911s too have gone from being cars that average people could own to either complete beaters (and even those get real money if Bring a Trailer is any indication), or fully restored and even more unaffordable. I suspect you may be in the minority as a long-term owner of that falls somewhere in between.

Lately I have been looking at 968s, the later 944s, Boxters--all the models the true believers question.

You're not the first person to say S2000--I have to say I know nothing about them so I will have to look.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Waiting on my inheritance and kids to leave....whichever comes first.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:58 AM

i was watching a tv show the other day (british car restoration show) where they got excited about a 912e that was bought in the u.s. and shipped over. price paid: 25 grand!!!! my eyes rolled.

man, you couldn't give those away back in the day. i can't believe they've appreciated, let alone to the kind of figures seen today.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM

VW Porsche

I have the poor man's Porsche, a 1973, 914. A great vehicle, and it feels like you are in a go-cart.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:08 PM

Now THAT is the fun entry level Porsche.

Prices high there too. Amazing.

At least you have less costly engine options in VW land vs. Porsche land.

Back in the stone ages, as a kid we had fun hopping up VW blocks to the point of implosion. Nothing like roasting a then-new 911 off the line with a Super Beetle on steroids!

My first car was a '67 that I restored and built up as a sleeper. Other than the muffler, it appeared stock, but could get up & go! Lifting the crankshaft out in two pieces during one particular "rebuild" was kinda funny. The amazing thing was that it ran for a mile or two in that condition. Sounded godawful and smoke galore, but it put-putted into the garage.

p.s. talk about price appreciation. Those old VW's that could be had for $1k and be a fixer upper are now....not $1k!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerman View Post
I have the poor man's Porsche, a 1973, 914. A great vehicle, and it feels like you are in a go-cart.

Last edited by 54ny77; 08-12-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Give up a 911 for a Miata?

Might as well get a Toyota minivan, lower it, tweak the suspension, and have a go at it...
Don't have to; when the wife gets in, SHE lowers it!

Bada Bing!
Old 08-12-2017, 01:41 PM

One could argue the ND Miata is closer to the platonic ideal of sports car than the latest iteration of porsches...Spec Miata is going strong too apparently.

Otoh, to get ever further OT, those Singer modified 964s are amazing if you have half a mil to burn...