Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 02:09 PM

Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass alternatives

I've been using Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass tires for the last +/-5000 miles on various road surfaces and I've been enjoying their excellent ride quality. I've probably changed them every 2000 miles or so when they show excessive wear. What I haven't enjoyed is the constant flat tires, even when new. Since most every ride starts in NYC where I live, it is inevitable that no matter how hard I try, I'm running over glass and all sorts of other detritus that cut up my tread.

What alternative tires of similar dimension should I be looking at? I'm not interested in super heavy flat protected tires - just something a little more durable. What should I be looking at? Rivendell Fatty Rumpkins? Something from Soma?
Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM

Panaracer Gravel King.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

That is interesting, I have commuted on babyshoe pass tires for the past 2-3 years, 8 miles a day from BK to somewhere in Manhattan and can count in my hand how many flats I had.

Are you on the super light ones or standard? Mine are the standard ones so that alone may make a huge difference.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass alternatives

I have the super light ones, but I thought the tread thickness was the same as on the regulars. And that only the sidewall thickness was different.

I must be taking the 'broken glass and wire shard route' from BK to Manhattan.

Last edited by mmfs; 07-29-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfs View Post
I have the super light ones, but I thought the tread thickness was the same as on the regulars. And that only the sidewall thickness was different.

I must be taking the 'broken glass and wire shard route' from BK to Manhattan.
haha yeah maybe you are. I am pretty sure the standard is a bit more robust also in the thread but I may be wrong. I also was running them tubeless for about 1000 miles and eventually had a puncture I could not have the sealant fix and been running them again tubbed for about 500 miles (before tubeless I ran them for a year tubbed and even went on some camping trips, with not many problems).

They just released the new babyshoes, they are 1mm wider and now the standard are indeed tubeless (I was running them tubeless but they were technically not tubeless ready, that said I had no problems whatsoever). You could try tubeless, its pretty great when it comes to glass.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 PM

The first time I saw those tires I figured they would flat out a lot! Back in my old BMX days before tires became bomb proof we would run a really worn out tire with the beads cut off underneath and we never got flats. (except for pinch flats)

I always figured this would be good for Bayshoe Pass tires. Anyone ever try that?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:11 PM

Yeah, I would strongly encourage tubeless with Orange Seal whether you go with the Gravelking or updated Babyshoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanVarcoe View Post
Anyone ever try that?
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Removing the tire bead?

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 07-29-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:48 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Removing the tire bead?
I believe he's saying installing the old tire under the new. Essentially doubling up, and using the old tire as sort of a tire liner. Not any sort of thing I would want to try.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:18 PM

Yeah, that's what I mean. Didn't think anyone did that on anything other than late 80's BMX bikes anyways. Haha!

I'd sure never do it now!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Some evidence to add to the mix. I have been using Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass extralight tires for some time (with tubes). I have had good luck with very few flats. I think my current pair has about 1500-2000 miles on them.

I usually run them around 45 psi and don't re-inflate until they get down to about 35psi.

A few days ago I accidentally pumped them up to 55psi because I cant see the gauge that well (getting old). When I reached down to take the pump head off of the valve I noticed that I had over inflated it but I decided to just leave it.

Got a flat the next day from a small piece of glass......

I have always thought that the lower pressure gets you less flats thing seemed a little silly, I just can't imagine it would make that big of a difference. Not a believer yet but I thought I would share my experience.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Some evidence to add to the mix. I have been using Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass extralight tires for some time (with tubes). I have had good luck with very few flats. I think my current pair has about 1500-2000 miles on them.

I usually run them around 45 psi and don't re-inflate until they get down to about 35psi.

A few days ago I accidentally pumped them up to 55psi because I cant see the gauge that well (getting old). When I reached down to take the pump head off of the valve I noticed that I had over inflated it but I decided to just leave it.

Got a flat the next day from a small piece of glass......

I have always thought that the lower pressure gets you less flats thing seemed a little silly, I just can't imagine it would make that big of a difference. Not a believer yet but I thought I would share my experience.
Do you have any real-world experience to compare std and extra-light casings? I've read Jan's comments, but wonder how a typical Paceliner might compare them (not to imply you're a typical Paceliner if considered derogatory). Buying a pair of Babyshoes and have only ever ridden standard casing in 700c offerings.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Do you have any real-world experience to compare std and extra-light casings? I've read Jan's comments, but wonder how a typical Paceliner might compare them (not to imply you're a typical Paceliner if considered derogatory). Buying a pair of Babyshoes and have only ever ridden standard casing in 700c offerings.
how PC of you

I have only run the extralights, I commute on them and tan walls get trashed. I have been thinking of getting the new gravel king 650bx42 but I suspect the 66tpi casing will be less supple.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanVarcoe View Post
Yeah, that's what I mean. Didn't think anyone did that on anything other than late 80's BMX bikes anyways. Haha!

I'd sure never do it now!
I used to do that during the winter in the 80's on road tires. Where I lived at the time, they put cinders on the roads in the winter, it was like broken glass everywhere, 1 or 2 flats daily. Doubled up tires got me to 1 or 2 flats per winter riding 300 plus miles per week.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 PM

Though not the exact tire I have been using Gran Bois Hetres and I finally gave up because of flats. Too many to count and I was tired of fixing flats. Flats on the road, flats when I woke up in the morning and flats late at night after meeting friends. The tires rode so well but not the tire for Toronto streets. But now after reading BicycleTricycle's comments, maybe I am too blame for some of it. It is possible I over inflated the tires. Now I am going to have try this again. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM

I've been a big fan of the Panaracer GK's, back when I first tried them as Pacenti Pari-Moto's. I'm pretty sure the Compass tires are the same (made by Panaracer).

Having said that, we did get a lot of customers saying they got too many flats. We changed to a WTB Horizon Road Plus for this year. I've been testing them myself for ~6 months. They take a bit more effort to spin up, but they roll just as smoothly. The added thickness helps prevent small cuts from debris in the City. I expect to see these on a lot more bikes in the next few years.

Also testing the WTB Byway's right now. Might be a good option if you do more gravel/dirt/trails.