Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 01:09 PM

Boston honeymoon this November

Going to be in the Boston area and Portland area also the first week of November. This will be are first time in the area and looking for can't miss things to see and eat. We know of a few things like Plymouth Rock, Fenway Park and a Bruins game are on the list. Legal Sea Foods, Pizzeria Regina and Mike's pastry are some food places we were told to try. Any other info would be great.

Last edited by cuwinbs; 07-31-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuwinbs View Post
Going to be the first week in November in the Boston area and Portland area also. This will be are first time in the area and looking for can't miss things to see and eat. We know of a few things like Plymouth Rock, Fenway Park and a Bruins game are on the list. Legal Sea Foods, Pizzeria Regina and Mike's pastry are some food places we were told to try. Any other info would be great.
Early November or late November? I’d book it to Maine. Spent a little time there in fall for the seacoast century and it is gawgeous. I was just a tad bit early for fall colors, and you may be just a tad bit late, but I loved it. Ogonquit was a nice town for lovers.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuwinbs View Post
Going to be the first week in November in the Boston area and Portland area also. This will be are first time in the area and looking for can't miss things to see and eat. We know of a few things like Plymouth Rock, Fenway Park and a Bruins game are on the list. Legal Sea Foods, Pizzeria Regina and Mike's pastry are some food places we were told to try. Any other info would be great.
If Fenway makes your final list, a friend in the area used to be a tour guide for the Bosox. I'm not sure what the status of tours is during these covid days, but I can get inside info if you'd like.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:54 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Not sure Legal Seafood is “worth it”. Kind of pricey and only OK. There are better places

Plan to walk the Freedom Trail to see Paul Revere’s house, Fanieul Hall, the USS Constitution, Bunker Hill, etc

The Aquarium is a good stop as well

If you have a car then yes, a drive up along the NH and ME coastline is worth it.

Old Sturbridge Village and Plymouth Plantation for more history and when you are out and about a quick stop at Lexington Green and the Concord Bridge - sites if the first 2 battles of the Revolution.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Not sure Legal Seafood is “worth it”. Kind of pricey and only OK. There are better places

Plan to walk the Freedom Trail to see Paul Revere’s house, Fanieul Hall, the USS Constitution, Bunker Hill, etc

The Aquarium is a good stop as well

If you have a car then yes, a drive up along the NH and ME coastline is worth it.

Old Sturbridge Village and Plymouth Plantation for more history and when you are out and about a quick stop at Lexington Green and the Concord Bridge - sites if the first 2 battles of the Revolution.

BK
aaaahhhhh...reminded me of the fond memories. thank you bruce pal.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:23 PM

Skip legal seafood, and go to a local place like Row34 or Island Creek Oysterbar
Old 07-31-2021, 02:39 PM

Red Lobster. Definitely Red Lobster.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:42 PM

I would suggest skipping Plymouth Rock, unless there are other things you want to do or see on the South Shore. It is one of the worst monuments in the area - literally a fairly normal sized rock in a pit…

Agree with Row34 or Island Creek if you want great seafood. If you want a unique Boston dining experience I’d go to Union Oyster House. The North End location of Regina’s is the one to go to.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:28 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Agreed that Plymouth Rock is lost time but walking through the Plantation, interacting with the reenactors as well as the Wampanoag Village and Native Americans who are there to educate on their history is worth the drive and the (slightly pricey) entry.

The Mayflower II is kind of cool if you are into the history of the voyage.

BTW, I don't think we have any Red Lobsters around here...

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:28 PM
VAV

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
Plimoth Plantation is worth the drive IMO just like BK suggested.

Helmand - Afghani food in Cambridge
Taberna de Haro - Spanish Food in Brookline really close to Fenway
Casa Romero - Mexican Upscale in Back Bay
Monument Restaurant & Tavern in Charlestown a block away from Bunker Hill monument

If you like beer, touring Harpoon or Sam Adams is not bad. If you like Rum, check Privateer Distillery

and JP Licks for ice cream
Old 07-31-2021, 04:57 PM

If you’re a food person Portland has all the choices you’d want for any type of food. Legal seafood is good but it’s basically 1 level above red lobster at this point.

Early November is still nice around here but you’ll miss foliage by two weeks. Also the higher you go into Maine the less stuff will be open. I was in Bar Harbor in winter a couple years ago for work and I couldn’t get a soda at the restaurant I was at because they don’t order enough syrup to keep the fountain running that time of year. I resorted to drinking instead.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:03 PM

Boston science museum is great.

Also, I second the comments about spending more time in Maine.

Boston is a cool city, but it's a little underwhelming as a tourist.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:25 PM

I agree with the others, skip Legal Seafoods - its over rated and over priced. And definitely skip Plymouth Rock - its just a fabricated tourist trap, based on a myth. (The earliest mention of Plymouth rock was in 1741, 121 years after the Plymouth colonists landed - it was never mentioned in any known writings of the people who actually arrived in 1620). The Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is worth a side trip, as is the USS Constitution. Skip Funeuil Hall and Quincy Market - too touristy.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbiker View Post
I would suggest skipping Plymouth Rock, unless there are other things you want to do or see on the South Shore. It is one of the worst monuments in the area - literally a fairly normal sized rock in a pit…

Agree with Row34 or Island Creek if you want great seafood. If you want a unique Boston dining experience I’d go to Union Oyster House. The North End location of Regina’s is the one to go to.
Second this. Plymouth rock is pointless. I grew up in the area, and the whole waterfront is nothing but a tourist trap full of mediocre food and gift shops.

As a secondary item for food, don't forget about Rhode Island. Providence has some great restaurants, provided that they all didn't shut down since I moved in 2019.

Last edited by mjf; 07-31-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:04 PM

We are staying over night on 08/2-3 for our anniversary but are bringing our daughter. Is the lantern light show at the Franklin zoo worth it? We are going to the aquarium on the third and probably walking around town a bit after before heading back out to the cape.