Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Now it’s saying no rain Saturday or Sunday!
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM
#RYFB

Dark Sky says 46% probability of rain on Saturday, but that's considerably lower than it showed earlier today.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:20 PM

My "nouvintage" Bianchi finally came together, with my friend/mechanic finishing most of the work on Wednesday and me setting the contact points and taping the bars last night.

Very chuffed about this one. It's the first good bike I ever bought; I'm the original owner since 1987. I had a framebuilder modify the rear brake bridge and dimple the chainstays so that 700x34mm tires fit at the very edge of short-reach brakes.

I'll trade out for pedals with clips and straps tomorrow after a shakedown ride this afternoon.

I'll be on the "Via de los Scalatores" or whatever the former Coastal route is now called. Say hi if you see me out there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0265.jpg (100.8 KB, 958 views)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 PM
cnighbor2

Planned on going friday

I changed plans Friday at 3:00am went to ER instead
seems had upper chest muscle strain and high blood pressure
Way to go ER Got home at 6;00pm
Yes
Old 04-06-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
I changed plans Friday at 3:00am went to ER instead
seems had upper chest muscle strain and high blood pressure
Way to go ER Got home at 6;00pm
Yes
Sorry to hear that, maybe you can make it on Sunday?
Old 04-06-2019, 12:28 AM

Are they picky about saddles? My girlfriends bike doesn’t have a vintage saddle but she can’t ride 100 miles on a hard old men’s saddle...
Old 04-06-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Are they picky about saddles? My girlfriends bike doesn’t have a vintage saddle but she can’t ride 100 miles on a hard old men’s saddle...
I've ridden a Flite each of 3 times I've ridden it and not been hassled about it yet.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I've ridden a Flite each of 3 times I've ridden it and not been hassled about it yet.
Hers isn’t a flite it’s a new Selle Italia women’s saddle.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Descent fitness

Ride any saddle you would like. No issues.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:31 PM

Wow lots of sweet bikes are at the concours.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
you would be surprised...

I road the coastal last year on a San Marco regal the one with the copper rivets and damn it was comfy... despite the ride overall being fairly rough in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
you would be surprised...

I road the coastal last year on a San Marco regal the one with the copper rivets and damn it was comfy... despite the ride overall being fairly rough in my opinion.
I like regals as well (Belgian Sofa! ), but everyone is different, and we change over time. I put my old 80s Concor Lite back on, the one I rode and raced comfortably for years, the same one that L**ce rode most of his career despite sponsor agreements and now it feels like it was carved out of a 2X4 by a tenderfoot boy scout. But mostly, BITD there were very few saddles that were designed for women and they ARE different according to several sources of good authority known to me --one of whom sits directly behind me on a tandem for hours at a time and able to whisper/hiss death threats related to her comfort in my ear at any time. A hundred+/- mile ride on an unfamiliar bike is no time to experiment with a new saddle. There's nothing in the eroica code about saddles.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Good luck ladies and gents!
Old 04-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Vendor

Eroica California 2019

I rode the 75mi Santa Lucia. This has to be one of the most beautiful rides I’ve done. Is this area always this green and lush with wild flowers blooming all over? Or is it just because of the unusual rains this year? I built up an old steel Rodriguez for the ride. I did the toe clips, friction bar ends, but took some poetic license with the gearing - compact and a 32t in the back. I could’ve used something even lower. I also went with 32 gravel kings and am glad that I did. Next year I’d like to do the Saturday Nova ride on a modern bike and the short 35 miler the next day on the vintage bike. The first rest stop was nicely stocked with fat chocolate dipped strawberries, some delicious potato taco things, and real coke in glass bottles. Things were a little sparse until the lunch resttop where they had chicken soup (and wine tasting). The chicken soup was delicious. The post-ride dinner was pasta. The tomato sauce was fresh but I could’ve used some protein after that effort. Next year I’ll skip the pre-ride dinner. Lots of other options in Cambria as I discovered. Most of the route was along tiny little scenic roads with very little traffic. At the last rest stop I was thinking I had it in me to do the longer route but that all changed with the climb up cypress mtn road. I had to hoof it a few times and others weren’t shy about it either. Some poor chap at the top started vomiting - at least it was all downhill from there. The descent down was like cutting through a carpet of green grass splotched with wild flowers. I was balancing taking in the view and enjoying the rip down. I recognized Henry Wildberry and Ms Cools at the lunch rest stop and said hi to them. They were doing the heroic. He comes across in real life just like he does in his videos. It was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 06:18 PM
#RYFB

Cross post

For some reason I posted over in 'Photos from your rides': https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...postcount=3308

I really enjoyed myself, it was a special time with my brother and I enjoyed riding with Mark H. Was hoping to recognize a few other Pals but only remembered Spaghetti Legs' Moser from the advance discussion and didn't see it. Met a delightful young Italian woman, a journalist, who told me she had a particular affinity for Gios because she is good friends with Alberto's nephew. [Edit] Here's a photo of her between the two of us:

Three amigos at Eroica

I did the route billed as 82 miles though it was more like 79, felt quite strong and only resorted to walking about 8 steps when I lost grip on a particularly rutted section partway through Kiler Canyon climb. That last half mile of Cypress Mountain seemed especially hard, then after finishing it I looked down and realized I wasn't in my lowest gear. D'oh.

I'm down for this as an annual event, for certain.

Last edited by cgolvin; 04-08-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added photo