Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 07:02 AM

Educate me on bike cameras

I generally ride alone and was thinking (yes I have more time than normal for hatching ideas) that a bike video camera might be a good safety feature to own and fun to look at from time-to-time. I also use Rouvy so the idea of making an outdoor route that could be shared is appealing. I loath getting my phone out to take pictures but often see things and think wow, that would make a good pic. My rides range from 90 minutes to five or more hours. Given this information what do you all recommend? I’ve done some initial checking and I thought I’d throw this out to the forum because I’m assuming others have already considered this question and probably have first-hand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2020, 07:23 AM

what could be easier and more convenient

than taking your phone out of a jersey pocket or a Revelate Mountain Feed Bag? Or a better point and shoot camera?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:32 AM

Good question. I’m asking about a Garmin Virb, GoPro, etc.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 AM

I ride with a Fly12 and Fly 6, primarily as a security feature and rarely look at or use the video clips. Since they record in loops of 5-10 minute segments, I have to use an editor and link the clips together to make a video. I started out with a Garmin Virb which I liked better for video quality and features but battery life was only about 2.5-3 hours. That being said, when I got it the Virb had longer battery life than other cameras out there. The Cycliq cameras will last 3-5 hours with the blinky lights on.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I ride with a Fly12 and Fly 6, primarily as a security feature and rarely look at or use the video clips. Since they record in loops of 5-10 minute segments, I have to use an editor and link the clips together to make a video. I started out with a Garmin Virb which I liked better for video quality and features but battery life was only about 2.5-3 hours. That being said, when I got it the Virb had longer battery life than other cameras out there. The Cycliq cameras will last 3-5 hours with the blinky lights on.
Same here. On full charge both Fly12 and Fly6 can last 5-6 hrs.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 AM

I'm not sure how running a full time camera makes you safer. Your behavior makes you safer. The camera unfortunately can't affect the behavior of other road users. It might or might not help you in court, but it won't cause you to not be injured if someone hits you.

More like might make you more "in your face" to drivers like so many of the Youtube cyclists who get themselves in bad situations as the camera makes them more aggressive with drivers. (Or they know getting into altercations gets them views.)

I have a GoPro Session.. it is about the right size for cycling. It works OK, but the battery doesn't really last long enough to leave it running for anything but a short ride. I want to say it only lasts around 30 minutes. It's not intended for an "always on" use case at all. 30 minutes is plenty of battery life to actually make an interesting MTB video for example or record a descent of a mountain road.

TBH after an initial period I rarely bother hooking the GoPro up on my bike. Road footage is super super boring and I don't MTB much. I made one MTB video and threw it on Youtube a few years ago. It was fun, and I should probably make some more, but at some point you're out making a video instead of enjoying the ride.

The camera is kind of like having too much electronics in general on your bike.. it's one more thing you have to setup, charge batteries, etc.. that takes away from the spontaneous free nature of going for a ride.

My favorite GoPro use by far is swimming/snorkeling/diving... it's pretty great for that.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post

How hard is it to link the loops. What’s the purpose of recording this way? Do you think it would be possible to upload this type of edited file to Rouvy?

Old 04-02-2020, 09:06 AM

If you do your research on Fly6, you'll find lots and lots of complaints and really crappy customer service (which is in Australia). The battery life decreases significantly over time, especially with regular use in cold weather.

I never did much research on the fly12, but if you look at their website and some of the comments, it ain't pretty.

Unfortunately, their concept design is probably the best for cycling, execution leaves much to be desired.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
How hard is it to link the loops. What’s the purpose of recording this way? Do you think it would be possible to upload this type of edited file to Rouvy?

Its not hard at all to link loops but you have to have some video software.
The purpose is that the camera can then delete the oldest loop and take that space to record the next ongoing loop. Its not so much an action camera as it is a camera for safety purposes and liability. This means u never run of of space to record new stuff and situations as the older gets deleted. There is also a feature where you can choose to manually save a loop so it can not be deleted for the purpose of a new loop. The camera also has incident mode which means if your bike comes to an abrupt halt or lean more than 45 degrees (or similar) this loop containing this information will be saved and not deleted so you can have this info at hand later to check who did what etc in case of an accident.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
The camera also has incident mode which means if your bike comes to an abrupt halt or lean more than 45 degrees (or similar) this loop containing this information will be saved and not deleted so you can have this info at hand later to check who did what etc in case of an accident.
Interesting. Does this then save a segment, if you start going again? Or does it just erase the aforementioned "loop" and just start all over again.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:47 AM

Anyone with an action camera want to weigh in? Are these cameras generally controllable with a Garmin edge device such as the 1030?

Old 04-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Interesting. Does this then save a segment, if you start going again? Or does it just erase the aforementioned "loop" and just start all over again.
Yes then that loop space is not available for the camera to use for new loops until u manually delete it from the memory card. This is at least how i remember it.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I'm not sure how running a full time camera makes you safer. Your behavior makes you safer. The camera unfortunately can't affect the behavior of other road users. It might or might not help you in court, but it won't cause you to not be injured if someone hits you.
Parenthetically, I wish cycling orgs would promote the idea that many cyclists have cameras on them, because if drivers started to think that they were caught on camera, I bet it would change their behavior. An ad campaign, or something like that?

Sorry for the thread drift... I have a cycliq, used it for a time, no longer do.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post

Not very hard. I use the iMovie software on my Mac. I've put a couple on youtube and for some reason the video quality is worse in the upload than on my computer. I've never taken the time to figure out why. Here's a video with a transition about 1 minute in.

https://youtu.be/K7leMhrAGjY
Old 04-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
If you do your research on Fly6, you'll find lots and lots of complaints and really crappy customer service (which is in Australia). The battery life decreases significantly over time, especially with regular use in cold weather.

I never did much research on the fly12, but if you look at their website and some of the comments, it ain't pretty.

Unfortunately, their concept design is probably the best for cycling, execution leaves much to be desired.
I've had my Fly 12 about 4 years and the Fly 6 about 5. Battery life has degraded but I wouldn't say dramatically and I haven't had any problems with the devices.

Regarding the post about making me safer, I mentioned in my post that I use them for security and yes, they probably don't make me too much safer outside of use of the lights. I never rode with lights in the day before getting these. I do feel more secure because if I'm run over and get disabled and unable to work for 6 months, odds are much higher that someone else and not me will pay for it.