Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 09:11 AM

Another option

I may go this route. These get some good reviews on rando forums.

http://sunxcd.net/cranks

http://sunxcd.net/chain-rings
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Those older 5 arm Centaur and Veloce are 110mm BCD and maybe Campag rings may be getting scarce but CRs in 110 BCD are easy to find. The ones with hidden arms were the 110/112mm variety. All the square taper, Campag compacts in aluminum were 110mm, 5 arm. UltraTorque, the aluminum compacts became the hidden arm variety.
Thanks for the reminder! Now that I think of it, the crank I was thinking of is in fact an Ultratorque on my cross bike. Wore out a ring, had a bear of a time tracking something down, not initially realizing that it wouldn't accept a regular 110, but ended up with a very nice TA 110/112 in the end.

The shop had a nice selection of Carminas, which I thought had been out of production for years, even in very odd lengths. Was amazed also with the rings in 1 tooth increments.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:14 AM

I have a set of alloy Chorus compacts that I will be using on a build soon.
Have had them for years, just deciding if I want to use them or go with a different front ratio.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8eh3iub View Post
Thanks for the reminder! Now that I think of it, the crank I was thinking of is in fact an Ultratorque on my cross bike. Wore out a ring, had a bear of a time tracking something down, not initially realizing that it wouldn't accept a regular 110, but ended up with a very nice TA 110/112 in the end.

The shop had a nice selection of Carminas, which I thought had been out of production for years, even in very odd lengths. Was amazed also with the rings in 1 tooth increments.
What shop would that be? I was looking for some and could not seem to locate them.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
What shop would that be? I was looking for some and could not seem to locate them.
Alps in Tokyo, but I believe the shop has since closed. That said, I'm fairly certain that Peter White still has good stock of most TA components. I guess what amazed me most at the time was that, although Alps was a specialty shop, it wasn't all that large, and yet seemed to have literally the entire TA catalog in stock - every ring, every crank, every length.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
Huh, I guess so. And the price feels lower than it was a decade ago?!

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina-compact.php
Old 04-02-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I have a carbon compact square-taper Centaur on my Merckx.
Unicorn. Hard to find, good to look at.

Last edited by colker; 04-02-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:51 AM

How set are you on using a square taper BB? I have a brand new in a box Centaur 170 50/34 in aluminum silver. However it is the outboard Ultra Torque system. I have the accompanying Record BB also new in a box never even opened yet. I don't remember the year I bought it. I was going to build myself a frame to hang it on but decided on using a triple instead. All of my potential frame building class students have cancelled because of the coronavirus so now I'm more motivated to sell stuff I've been hanging on to but not using.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:53 AM

At the moment I'm waiting for the bike to appear before I do anything!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
At the moment I'm waiting for the bike to appear before I do anything!
Black campy 12 all over would look awesome on this bike. Keep the frame, post, stem and headset in silver and go black everywhere else. I find it better than reenactment unless you have a strong functional reason for the old stuff. Those small dianter tubing steel frames get along well w/contemporary drivetrain and wheel tech. Go chorus 12 and zonda.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Go chorus 12 and zonda.
New rule:
From now on, whenever someone mentions Zondas, everyone on the forum has to drink a shot.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
New rule:
From now on, whenever someone mentions Zondas, everyone on the forum has to drink a shot.
https://youtu.be/Pubd-spHN-0
Old 04-02-2020, 05:22 PM

I bought this because it was such a good price and I'm hoping to keep additional investment to a minimum level. I know I need bars and stem. And the easiest way to get more appropriate gears is a 13-29 cassette, $50 new in Veloce I see. So the crankset is a nice-to-have but dunno yet if I have to spend that coin. I learned a lot in this thread, as always, and am very appreciative. Folks that have a crankset to offer please PM me.

My bias is to keep the bike silver BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Black campy 12 all over would look awesome on this bike. Keep the frame, post, stem and headset in silver and go black everywhere else. I find it better than reenactment unless you have a strong functional reason for the old stuff. Those small dianter tubing steel frames get along well w/contemporary drivetrain and wheel tech. Go chorus 12 and zonda.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I bought this because it was such a good price and I'm hoping to keep additional investment to a minimum level. I know I need bars and stem. And the easiest way to get more appropriate gears is a 13-29 cassette, $50 new in Veloce I see. So the crankset is a nice-to-have but dunno yet if I have to spend that coin. I learned a lot in this thread, as always, and am very appreciative. Folks that have a crankset to offer please PM me.

My bias is to keep the bike silver BTW.
13-29 and 36-52 is a nice combo. Miche cassettes are around in case you donĀ“t find veloce.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8eh3iub View Post
Alps in Tokyo, but I believe the shop has since closed. That said, I'm fairly certain that Peter White still has good stock of most TA components. I guess what amazed me most at the time was that, although Alps was a specialty shop, it wasn't all that large, and yet seemed to have literally the entire TA catalog in stock - every ring, every crank, every length.
Wiggle carries a nice selection of TA chainrings including ones for the 4-arm Campy cranks:

X112 - 34t, 36t and 42t
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=Ta+x112

X145 - 48t and 50t
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=Ta+x145

Good Luck!