Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 12:10 PM

OT: I hope this youtube video can help calm people down, it did me! ( virus content )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P7x0dNQs_I

It’s long, but it’s worth watching every second of it. There are a few glitches as well, ignore them.

He is a front line ICU doctor in NYC at one of the premier hospitals in the world. This doc has cred!!!

I have watched it twice now and will continue to watch it and pass it along to everyone I know.

Everyone, be safe...
Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM

Anyone watch this?

No comments?

Hopefully you are all out riding and keeping your distance.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:39 PM

It may be a good video, but I can't devote an hour to watching it.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:47 PM

My wife forwarded that to me the other day. I posted it to the Covid thread - no responses (no worries - there's a lot of action over there!).

My takeaway is that (according to him) 99.9% of transmission is from touching something that someone else has touched that has Covid and then giving it to yourself by touching your face. There is very little chance of catching this virus through the air. Good news for cycling!

Last edited by morrisericd; 04-01-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
It may be a good video, but I can't devote an hour to watching it.
It’s not that it’s a “good video” . It’s a video of a frontline NYC ICU doctor explaining how to stay safe during this time.

It may help save your life or the life of a loved one. Or, at a minimum, calm you or a family member down.

If you go to YouTube and type in Dr David Price, there are a bunch of edited down versions of this video as well.

Be safe!
Old 04-01-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
My wife forwarded that to me the other day. I posted it to the Covid thread - no responses (no worries - there's a lot of action over there!).

My takeaway is that (according to him) 99.9% of transmission is from touching something that someone else has touched that has Covid and then giving it to yourself by touching your face. There is very little chance of catching this virus through the air. Good news for cycling!

Is his opinion the only opinion out there? Certainly not. It did make me think we are going a smidge overboard in our reaction to all of this. I have older parents and my family and I are staying at home and adhering to all of the restrictions. It does help with the hysteria, though.
You know what they say about opinions...anyway, I would trust a Doctor that spends 12 hours a day working in an ICU in NYC that is only dealing with very sick people from COVID 19.

But, you know what they say about opinions...

And, thank you for posting this! I feel strongly that the information this doctor talks about needs to be disseminated to everyone.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Since he's just guessing, I think it's better to be on the safe side and assume that it can spread through the air as well.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:

People are refusing to learn the difference between airborne transmission versus droplets. Covid is of the droplet variety.

The face mask is key for not touching your face after touching materials where covid could live on. Immediately wash your hands and refrain from touching your face. The CDC has said over and over, the entry points are the Mouth, Eyes and Nose which are things we commonly touch without even noticing.

I socially distanced myself from a close friend who wanted to argue with me over Covid being on her shoes, so she needed to mop her floors over and over. I was saying "So you stepped in a puddle of Covid outside?" haha The mentality she has, is the reason there's literally no dish soap, bleach or anything at the Targets where I live. She even said "I don't trust the CDC or government, I'd rather listen to what my friend told me.."
Old 04-01-2020, 03:03 PM

Try this video instead.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/07/5...m-the-bbc.html
Old 04-01-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Watch both videos!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Since he's just guessing, I think it's better to be on the safe side and assume that it can spread through the air as well.
Covid spreads via Droplets. Gravity pulls droplets down, which is how it would be on objects (Door handles, etc). It's not airborne, like in the movie Outbreak. The CDC and World Health Organization report that it's not airborne. The Flu isn't airbone, and we seem to catch it yearly. Mainly by someone being sick and sneezing in his/her hand and touching things, that we in turn touch and touch entry points (Mouth, Rub Eyes, Dig in ya nose).

If people don't want to believe the CDC or World Health Organization, then I don't know what to say.. My job (City of Hope Hospital) is working on a vaccine and we had a company wide webinar yesterday. Going over the transmission, etc. NOPE! It's not airborne.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
People are refusing to learn the difference between airborne transmission versus droplets. Covid is of the droplet variety.

The face mask is key for not touching your face after touching materials where covid could live on. Immediately wash your hands and refrain from touching your face. The CDC has said over and over, the entry points are the Mouth, Eyes and Nose which are things we commonly touch without even noticing.

I socially distanced myself from a close friend who wanted to argue with me over Covid being on her shoes, so she needed to mop her floors over and over. I was saying "So you stepped in a puddle of Covid outside?" haha The mentality she has, is the reason there's literally no dish soap, bleach or anything at the Targets where I live. She even said "I don't trust the CDC or government, I'd rather listen to what my friend told me.."
This is the crux of the Doctors video. He lays it out very calmly, methodically and succinctly.

My wife is freaking out about not finding bleach. I’m just happy we have hand sanitizer ( for outside ) and plenty of hand soap ( for inside ).

A doctor friend of mine said to use cheap vodka as a hand sanitizer if you cannot find Purell. A quick google search shows alcohol and aloe combined makes a great hand sanitizer.

Or, you could just drink the vodka, not go out and practice “ safer at home “ . Your choice!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:29 PM

There's so much information from so many sources, that it's becoming a lost cause to give people common sense and people are giving themselves anxiety from all of it.

People are watching bright red headlines of body counts, and freaking out.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, it was said this spreads via droplets (Coughing/Sneezing), and highly contagious because of that. Washing your hands to remove the virus is key to not infecting yourself, by touching entry points. The 6ft distance stemmed from the distance droplets could spray if sneezing/coughing occurred.

People act like this is an alien host leaping from body to body inside of walmart or something. If people took the time to read in between all of the scary things, you'd see that washing your hands and not touching your face is key to being safe.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Covid spreads via Droplets. Gravity pulls droplets down, which is how it would be on objects (Door handles, etc). It's not airborne, like in the movie Outbreak. The CDC and World Health Organization report that it's not airborne. The Flu isn't airbone, and we seem to catch it yearly. Mainly by someone being sick and sneezing in his/her hand and touching things, that we in turn touch and touch entry points (Mouth, Rub Eyes, Dig in ya nose).

If people don't want to believe the CDC or World Health Organization, then I don't know what to say.. My job (City of Hope Hospital) is working on a vaccine and we had a company wide webinar yesterday. Going over the transmission, etc. NOPE! It's not airborne.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-masks/609235/

Quote:
When the World Health Organization asserts that the new coronavirus is “NOT airborne,” it’s claiming that the virus instead spreads primarily through the close-splashing droplets, which either land directly on people’s faces or are carried to their faces by unwashed, contaminated hands.

Such messaging is “really irresponsible,” argues Don Milton, an expert in aerosol transmission at the University of Maryland. The scientific community doesn’t even agree about whether aerosol transmission matters for the flu, so “to say that after three months we know for sure that this [new] virus is not airborne is … expletive deleted,” he says. Milton and other experts who study how viruses move through the air say that the traditional distinction between big, short-range droplets and small, long-range aerosols is based on outdated science...
And as the article says, what happened to the Skagit Valley Chorale indicates that the virus is airborne.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Anyone watch this?

No comments?

Hopefully you are all out riding and keeping your distance.
Watched it last Friday. Good account, first-hand, of the situation and stress of dealing with the pandemic. A couple of minor contradictory positions presented, like handling of food/shopping and washing food/self. Don't fully agree that aerosolization is ONLY a threat to medical professionals, but in most situations that is most likely true. Having a mask in the presence of riding in a spaced paceline and traveling into viral laden sputum droplets from a rider sneezing in front of you might be beneficial. Extreme example for emphasis, but also could hold true in a grocery store aisle from a violent sneeze/cough.

Hoping against hope that the latest modeling numbers won't materialize. Living life as "normal" with responsible precautions, not fear, and looking forward to the day when the tide turns. Personally don't believe C-19 will every "go away" but will become part a manageable pathogen risk to humanity.