Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 PM

Replacing a steel steer tube

I have a steel fork and need the steer tube to be longer. It is a 1" and appears to be brazed into the fork crown socket. If I send this to a builder can it be replace with a longer tube without much trouble?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 PM

Nope.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM
Randomhead

There are reputable builders that will lengthen it or replace it with a longer one. Have to search for them though. There are also reputable builders that will tell you it's a bad idea
Old 03-31-2020, 09:30 PM

Even if some builder were to do it, for the expense and hassle a new steel fork would be the correct option. Probably not much more expensive, certainly much less hassle/worry. The old legs and crown won't save any real money.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:57 PM

Contact Dave Kirk for a replacement. It'll be better than the original in every way. It may even open you up to some options that the original fork DIDN'T provide that you may be interested in.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:57 PM

I have a guy that will extend a steel steerer....many strongly advise against it, but I've had 3 done...

Last edited by wallymann; 03-31-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 PM

Just get a new fork.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:16 PM

Im not from the US, so the way I see the fixes are very different ok?

One solution is what wally says, braze an extension, I have seen that fix a few times...

Second solution just remove the tube and put a new one in, thing I have seen at least 20 times to be done by 3 builders in my country. Get the materials here in the US is not a problem, in my country it was so that's when u had to have in the shop a collection of old busted forks to work with. Heat,,, pull... clean really well, braze the new tube... put that in acid, good to go.

Here is more of a safety/I dont want to be sued if that fails situation, in my country was more of a ... Master would you please fix it???, when you are racing and have no dime you had to save as much as posible of your bike.

3rd option, buy a new or get somebody to make you a new one.

Is a fork that has a logo in the crown???
Old 03-31-2020, 11:11 PM

I had my steerer bent in a crash, and the original builder (Rick Hunter) cut it out and brazed in a new, thicker one. No troubles so far, and he didn’t hesitate to do it. An extension sounds sketchy but I wouldn’t be afraid of a new steerer if the price is right compared to a brand new fork.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:23 PM

Forum member David Tollefson of (Mjolnir Cycles) will build you a road fork to your specs for well under $200. I have commissioned two (one segmented, one sloping crown) and they both came out great. Definitely an option worth considering.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:19 AM

When you have a vintage fork with original paint and chromed crown, you need to do something creative, like get Mikkelsen to extend the steerer tube. I have seen it done by brazing a sleeve, or even grinding and TIG welding an extension. For a modern steel frame that can be paint matched, a new fork is probably a better option.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:41 AM
Vendor

Mikkelsen did one for me.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
Forum member David Tollefson of (Mjolnir Cycles) will build you a road fork to your specs for well under $200. I have commissioned two (one segmented, one sloping crown) and they both came out great. Definitely an option worth considering.
Can anyone recommend a similar value with curved fork blades? I was all psyched up until reading that David only likes straight-blade forks.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Is there a compelling reason to keep the original fork? I ask because replacing the steerer will ruin the finish and you'll need to have it repainted.

I'd opt for a new fork whether it be custom or a stock replacement fork. When forks fail things get really ugly. It's not a place where I would take any chances.

dave
Old 04-01-2020, 11:54 AM

I was gonna say that I've spoken with reputable builders about this type of fix and all advised against it, but instead I'll say listen to Dave :-) ^^^