Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 PM
aka RAEKWON

Yeah but what you are saying is that while people are down in the city helping others, some struggling to trying to live a normal life or having a other struggles, you are coming down for a joy ride because oh wow gotta see the city streets empty. Go on google, check the pictures on the computer. Either go down to help or stay away.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:47 PM

Respectfully, it is impossible to fully embrace how bad it is in New York City. We need to keep all of the lanes open for the ambulances, of which there are now more running than during 9/11 (and soon more deaths). During times like this, we need to work together. Please.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:54 PM

Pink listen to what several are saying here please. It's not worth the risks involved to you, or your family. The people in NYC are hurting and it's getting substantially worse as the days tick by.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 PM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
That sounds really safe. Walk into a strange building and interact with strange people delivering packages that could very well be toxic. I'll pass.

You sound cranky. Maybe a bike ride tomorrow to relieve the stress? It's supposed to be nice. As the man said, no snacks, keep your distance. It's the same as I'm doing up here.
Not cranky just appalled.
Fairfield County isn't in very good shape either.
Maybe you should just stay home and do your part.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
That sounds really safe. Walk into a strange building and interact with strange people delivering packages that could very well be toxic. I'll pass.

You sound cranky. Maybe a bike ride tomorrow to relieve the stress? It's supposed to be nice. As the man said, no snacks, keep your distance. It's the same as I'm doing up here.
OK, so “strange guy rolling around NYC just to sight-see and photograph empty streets while strange people are dying” is NOT strange in the least, but “strange guy entering strange building and interacting with strange people delivering care packages” is REALLY strange?

I think rather than trying to figure out that conundrum I am just going to buy some stock in “peanutgallery facepalms” asap, get rich real quick, send the proceeds to Elmhurst Hospital and Albany.

All joking aside, it is a BAD situation. Try to respect others, maybe. Save the fuel, save the drive time, ride where you are, maybe try to help out in your own neighborhood.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 PM
slower than you

Sheesh. I know it's bad. It's bad up here. I fear going to the supermarket. I can't hike at my local mountain because suddenly everybody else is. But, I can bike. Alone. Nuthin' else to do.

Furgetabout. I'll stay up here. It's nicer.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:28 PM

Please do not go to the city now to ride through the streets despite the inviting low volume of traffic. Instead:

- Sign up to lead to help at the NYC marathon in 2021 to lead out the wheelchair and handcycle athletes. Doing so you get a open roads through four out of fie boroughs. Plus, riding to the the meeting point on the Brooklyn side of the Verrazano Bridge early in the am is easy and traffic free. I did it a few years ago and got to lead out the gentlemen who won the race. Got to ride all the way into CP, onto CP south before pulling out before the athletes went back into the park to head to the finish line at tavern.

- Riding to prospect park races from Manhattan in the summer always yields empty streets. The way back is obviously a different story but not a big deal after you have some race miles in your legs and breakfast is calling your name.

- My favorite way to start a day is to slowly experience the sun rising while doing CP laps in the early AM. There is always that moment heading south on the west side drive where you can see the first rays of sun hitting the east side and the reservoir. Try that. Start no later than 5:30 am (or earlier if mid summer).
Old 03-31-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Sheesh. I know it's bad. It's bad up here. I fear going to the supermarket. I can't hike at my local mountain because suddenly everybody else is. But, I can bike. Alone. Nuthin' else to do.

Furgetabout. I'll stay up here. It's nicer.
I know from reading several of your posts that your an ardent hiker. Maybe change the locale. Go on urban expeditions, if possible. Become a flaneur. I love it. Almost as much as cycling. The people watching is fantastic.

In my neighborhood, the pedestrians and cyclists are reclaiming the streets from cars. Everyone is respectful and friendly. There is a sense of calm.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:32 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Seriously? One of those "Critical Mass" things? Either way, what the hell is wrong with people not being able to or wanting to comprehend the severity of this situation? It is mind-boggling, that some still really do not get it.
Yep. Here's a link to the video .
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FCN MPR%2Fvideos%2F889002574872180%2F&show_text=0&widt h=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 03-31-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
Please do not go to the city now to ride through the streets despite the inviting low volume of traffic. Instead:

- Sign up to lead to help at the NYC marathon in 2021 to lead out the wheelchair and handcycle athletes. Doing so you get a open roads through four out of fie boroughs. Plus, riding to the the meeting point on the Brooklyn side of the Verrazano Bridge early in the am is easy and traffic free. I did it a few years ago and got to lead out the gentlemen who won the race. Got to ride all the way into CP, onto CP south before pulling out before the athletes went back into the park to head to the finish line at tavern.
Great suggestion!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Yep. Here's a link to the video.
Wow.
That is so absurd, but not shocking at all given the attitude of those idiots.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:04 AM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Just don't be caught out after dark...
I've seen some of those dudes from The Family out in broad daylight in NYC. I'd stay out of there if I were you...
Old 04-01-2020, 08:07 AM

johnm & EDS, godspeed on being continually safe & healthy out there in the big apple--to you, your families and friends.

And to everyone.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Ironically, Central Park, the usual weekday loop, will probably be the most dangerous place to bike, considering the amount of people there out of work and recreating. I'd stick to the normally busy streets and take some pictures of an historic event.

I plan to drive down and park someplace out of the way, so, no public transit in and out. Just me.

I know, some may say irresponsible, but, I dont think so, as long as I keep moving. Are streets and avenues closed to all traffic in some spots?
I live in Chelsea and work in CT. I still travel twice a week up the the office in Stamford since my works is deemed "essential" as it's construction and infrastructure based, and also at that time I check in with my father who lives alone and my brother who's had some health setbacks in the past few months.

Just to echo a lot of others, this is not the time to partake in sightseeing. If you really want empty streets then normal Sunday mornings in the summer are the best time to experience them - cooler weather, a lot of people are out of town and also the weekend revelers are still recovering for brunch.

Contrary to what 19wisconsin64 stated we know how this spreads and transmits, but specifically because of the nature of covid-19 it's imperative to practice social distancing and NOT become migratory in any way. If you're in Fairfield county then you can drive a bit north to experience the open roads just in case it's too crowded where you are, and donate the money you'd usually spend on tolls to a good cause.

The final decision is up to you, but hearing peoples own opinions and thought process should guide your better judgement.

But if you have any other direct questions you can always shoot a PM. Godspeed.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:36 AM

If I did not live and work in Manhattan I would not come in now. Central Park does have a lower volume of cyclists these days, but you only need one pedestrian to step in front of your path and going to an ER is not something you want these days. I literally stay at home if unless i need to go to work (essential worker) get food, or care for a family member. I hope all stay healthy.
Closed Thread