Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
I lived in Manhattan x 7 yrs during my training...never had or rode a bike then- no time. But I have since fantasized riding empty avenues in NYC if there could ever be such a thing.

Maybe, when this is over, head into the city @ 5:30 AM on a summer Sunday morning....
That sounds like a much better plan!

When I lived there some of the most beautiful experiences I had were frequent Sunday morning walks in the Wall Street District. The streets were empty, silent, beautiful, and on sunny days the old granite buildings looked made of silver, the way they glowed. It was truly wonderful.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:37 PM

It's funny hearing people here talk about riding in the city during the pandemic like my relatives do about riding a bike in the city ever. It's fine. Observe common sense and take it easy. During hurricane Sandy's blacked out aftermath a friend of mine and I rode from Grand Central to Wall St in 12 minutes. We blew thru all the police intersections with massive lights and averaged almost 18mph. One of the most unforgettable rides of my life.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
It's funny hearing people here talk about riding in the city during the pandemic like my relatives do about riding a bike in the city ever. It's fine. Observe common sense and take it easy. During hurricane Sandy's blacked out aftermath a friend of mine and I rode from Grand Central to Wall St in 12 minutes. We blew thru all the police intersections with massive lights and averaged almost 18mph. One of the most unforgettable rides of my life.
i went to my office the day before sandy "officially" hit and averaged 42 down the west side highway. that tailwind was wild.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 PM

Perhaps I am a bit biased because I live here.
But I think most of the responses here are based more on fear then on facts.
It isn't like the virus is floating in the air, it comes from being in close proximity to other people.
So I would say that as long as you are smart about it, i.e. just use common
sense.
Don't stop in any store for a snack, if you have to stop at a light stop far from other people (that won't really be there) then I think by all means you should be fine and you should do it.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:57 PM

Facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I live in Fairfield county. Haven't been on a bike in the city for years. Looking at the pictures of deserted city streets, it occured to me that this would be a very rare time to experience the city with super minimal traffic. I know where I'm going, drove a cab there many moons ago.
I dont think I'd be putting myself or anybody else in danger, as long as I kept my distance. Ironically, Central Park, the usual weekday loop, will probably be the most dangerous place to bike, considering the amount of people there out of work and recreating. I'd stick to the normally busy streets and take some pictures of an historic event.
I plan to drive down and park someplace out of the way, so, no public transit in and out. Just me.

I know, some may say irresponsible, but, I dont think so, as long as I keep moving. Are streets and avenues closed to all traffic in some spots?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
It isn't like the virus is floating in the air, it comes from being in close proximity to other people.
sense.
Don't stop in any store for a snack, if you have to stop at a light stop far from other people (that won't really be there) then I think by all means you should be fine and you should do it.
I think that most of the "no" replies here are in fact not based on fear at all but rather simply a sensible request to respect current events, NYC's own needs, and the constant pleas of city, state, and the federal government to just stay the f home for now, and walk/jog/ride around one's own community.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:08 PM

Double facepalm

Quote:
sense.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Even on a Sunday at 5:30 I doubt it will be as empty as it is now.
I've done it a few times. It's really empty until about 10am. Never forget cruising down almost the entire length of Broadway and then watching the sun rise over Brooklyn going over the bridge.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 PM
head to toe Assos

If you want to do something exciting why don't you bring you and your bike down here and help out the delivery people taking food to those that can't get out.
Or you can come to my apartment building and help me help the Meals on Wheels guy make the deliveries in my building. Just a few sick people here.
I'll even give you a pair of surgical gloves. But no masks available. Sorry.
Don't want to help? Stay home. We don't want you.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
If you get mugged, a lots of ramifications.
...in NYC?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
If you want to do something exciting why don't you bring you and your bike down here and help out the delivery people taking food to those that can't get out.
Or you can come to my apartment building and help me help the Meals on Wheels guy make the deliveries in my building. Just a few sick people here.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:31 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Just don't be caught out after dark...

Old 03-31-2020, 09:38 PM

No doubt.
But doubtless fewer virus particles.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:40 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
That sounds really safe. Walk into a strange building and interact with strange people delivering packages that could very well be toxic. I'll pass.

You sound cranky. Maybe a bike ride tomorrow to relieve the stress? It's supposed to be nice. As the man said, no snacks, keep your distance. It's the same as I'm doing up here.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 PM

Triple facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
That sounds really safe. Walk into a strange building and interact with strange people delivering packages that could very well be toxic. I'll pass.

You sound cranky. Maybe a bike ride tomorrow to relieve the stress? It's supposed to be nice. As the man said, no snacks, keep your distance. It's the same as I'm doing up here.
Closed Thread