Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:50 PM
slower than you

Can I cycle in Manhattan right now?

I live in Fairfield county. Haven't been on a bike in the city for years. Looking at the pictures of deserted city streets, it occured to me that this would be a very rare time to experience the city with super minimal traffic. I know where I'm going, drove a cab there many moons ago.
I dont think I'd be putting myself or anybody else in danger, as long as I kept my distance. Ironically, Central Park, the usual weekday loop, will probably be the most dangerous place to bike, considering the amount of people there out of work and recreating. I'd stick to the normally busy streets and take some pictures of an historic event.
I plan to drive down and park someplace out of the way, so, no public transit in and out. Just me.

I know, some may say irresponsible, but, I dont think so, as long as I keep moving. Are streets and avenues closed to all traffic in some spots?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:57 PM

All streets and avenues are open to cyclists.

I haven't been in Central Park lately, but Prospect Park has been pretty crowded even on drizzly days. So I agree that it's best to avoid the parks, as well as the West Side Greenway.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:03 PM
slower than you

How are the streets and avenues? Crowded?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

"I know, some may say irresponsible, but, I dont think so, as long as I keep moving. Are streets and avenues closed to all traffic in some spots?"

You be your own judge, but some possible considerations being:

Hospital or ER visit is NYC a good idea? If you dump or get injured any/all folks that come to help you will not be maintaining social distances.

If you get hit by a car and wind up in hospital who will being put at risk to see you, retrieve you, come sign your DNR. I know dark..

If you get mugged, a lots of ramifications.

Again, you make your own judgements, I am just posing some things that are prudent to factor in, unless you don't want to.

So it kinda really is roulette on levels pre CV-19 it would not have been.

So to me, it is like asking can I fly in a small plane without a parachute. The answer being yes, unless it quits flying at altitude.

Last edited by robt57; 03-31-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
How are the streets and avenues? Crowded?
They're much emptier than usual. I rode through the theater district one night and it was entirely deserted.

Here's a video someone took: https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...wn-coronavirus.

Last edited by fiamme red; 03-31-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 PM

Hi Mr. Pink,
we just moved our family from manhattan to fairfield county and rented a house with an 18 month lease..... i'm a 20 year nyc resident and cyclist, and my wife is a lifelong resident.
while the city is sometimes at it's most beautiful when you have it to yourself, right now i'd say to skip it. they truly, at this point, do not know full extent of the mechanisms which transmit the virus.
trust me, i'm an hour away now, and won't go back until this is over for fear of getting something, and then possibly infecting my family or others. it's so sad.
we know many people in the city who have or are battling the virus, we know many health professionals who are being called to work in the city right now, this week. even as hardened new yorkers, we are stunned.
stay safe
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 PM

Sure, ride in NYC, the current epicenter of this mess.

But what happens if you need medical care?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:43 PM

Harriman State Park. Some of the best road cycling you will find in that area.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Registered (ab)User

Bunch of weird fodder for actuarial tables in this thread...
Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
They're much emptier than usual. I rode through the theater district one night and it was entirely deserted.

Here's a video someone took: https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...wn-coronavirus.
Wow, cool, thanks. You may have satisfied my curiosity with those videos.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:55 PM
Vendor

Be careful. There is a video out there from the other night where a mass ride had cops chasing after them. It was at Times Square.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:02 PM

Question

One would think that:
popping into NYC, the very epicenter of Covid-19 in the US and approaching (we hope) the peak horror in terms of cases and past-capacity hospitals and stressed medical personnel, as some sort of tourist from outside the city just there to enjoy riding a bicycle on relatively empty (until ER, etc vehicles need them) streets, to "experience the city with super minimal traffic", and to "take some pictures of an historic event"...
would probably not really qualify as "essential activity" at this moment?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Be careful. There is a video out there from the other night where a mass ride had cops chasing after them. It was at Times Square.
Seriously? One of those "Critical Mass" things? Either way, what the hell is wrong with people not being able to or wanting to comprehend the severity of this situation? It is mind-boggling, that some still really do not get it.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:17 PM

I lived in Manhattan x 7 yrs during my training...never had or rode a bike then- no time. But I have since fantasized riding empty avenues in NYC if there could ever be such a thing.
Maybe, when this is over, head into the city @ 5:30 AM on a summer Sunday morning....
Old 03-31-2020, 08:33 PM

Even on a Sunday at 5:30 I doubt it will be as empty as it is now.
Closed Thread