Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Solo 33 miles of county roads and almost 60 degrees yesterday. Today been snowing all day and 30 with 3" fresh in town. Tomorrow might be a skinning day, springtime in Steamboat. Good number of folks out riding yesterday, knew half the people I saw. Small town goodness as we isolate...
Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM

COVID Ride psychology

While I suspect many of us are enjoying the relatively traffic free roads, I find I am being extra special careful on the road since the ER is the last place you want to end up by hitting a pothole or catching a front wheel. In the pre-COVID days, one of my ride buds caught a squirrel in the front spokes and is still recovering from a busted clavicle. That would be an even worse fate now.

Many drivers seems more courteous than previously, but about 10% are taking advantage of the empty roads to drive crazy fast. Today an M3 (of course) buzzed passed me on a blind curve and nearly took out two dog-walkers who were also not expecting an on-coming car at 60 in a 30-mph zone. Never a shortage of nuts, and many are not on trees.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:30 PM

I've been riding only on a bike path that runs through my city and doesn't cross and streets. I can do 30 miles with no intersections.

The worst part is the first time rollerbladers. Just awful and scary to watch.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Older Than You

I pretty much stay off the bike paths. Too much congestion with all the walkers, bikers, and kids all over the place.

I'm really enjoying riding on the city streets with almost no traffic. Unfortunately I have seen a few cars that have taken advantage of the minimal traffic and drive like they are in a race.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:20 PM

Tucson is fortunate to have The Loop, a 135 mile network of paved multi-use bikeways. The Loop is always busy, so I've been avoiding it. One day last week I decided to see if I could ride a portion of the path and maintain appropriate spacing. It was not possible. Too many riders insisting on still riding two abreast, passing pedestrians without maintaining 6 feet spacing. I was surprised at how relaxed I felt once I left The Loop and returned to the streets. Who would have ever thought that riding in traffic would feel safer than riding on a car-free bikeway.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Every day around here is like the Sunday of a 3 day weekend. Light traffic & people seem to be driving slower. I wish this one thing could hold over to the post-Covid world.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:40 PM

I parked at the Gym and rode around Otsego Lake today.
Three cars in the gym parking lot.
Passed by a couple of cars in the village and none that I recall the entire loop around the lake.
It feels like being outside after the zombie apocalypse has hit.
It really was incredibly peaceful.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:48 PM

Over here the trail havent been full of people, has been ok and the people has better temper. Many arent working so no stress anymore. U can tell there's no tension in the air which is a good thing. Here in this area you can go and do exercise but if this gets worse they will close parks and this will be extremely interesting, weather getting better and unable to go out, i do not have a trainer either. Hope all gets better soon.

What ive seen is a lot, A LOT of guys riding brand new pinarellos. THere is like a rest stop where there's a tiny restaurant (it is open but dont see people getting in tho), when I was coming back I saw a group of like 4 pinarello guys talking in that stop. Got off my bike and started adjusting the saddle (second ride in that bike) and they went mute, that was hard to miss One was staring at me... and the others like looking everywhere.... said hi... he said hi... and I said back to him... "always somebody has to show up with something arguably better eh? ".... he said... "u got that right!"... When I left heard one saying... "hate when that happens!!!"... It made my day big time
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM
Randomhead

I was a bit worried people were driving faster, but I really haven't seen it. I think they were even driving the speed limit on the highway out of town, which never happens. I was also worried someone would harass me for riding on the shoulder, but nobody did. OTOH, there was a lot of traffic up into the state forest, and it did get a bit annoying. The first mountain I climbed without getting passed until the top, and then 10 vehicles passed me in quick succession. No problems with that other than dust. So much for not driving to recreation spots.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I pretty much stay off the bike paths. Too much congestion with all the walkers, bikers, and kids all over the place.

I'm really enjoying riding on the city streets with almost no traffic. Unfortunately I have seen a few cars that have taken advantage of the minimal traffic and drive like they are in a race.
This. I'll only take the bike path going out early in the morning. Otherwise, it's a **** show will all the trail users meandering around walking 3 wide.

I put in around 13hr riding this week. Just solo interval rides and nice long submax rides. I'm riding like a normally do. Alert and aware of my surroundings at all times. The group rides are the real danger. Which I do miss, much better workout.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
^This. Not just driving like it's race day but hey, screw the red lights as well. No cops in sight just some cyclists. Rant over... back to enjoying the bike lane.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Administrator

merged related threads to keep the conversation together.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Rode yesterday, 75* and sunny. Recently moved farther from town but still within the edge of my old riding areas. Maybe saw 10 cars and a half dozen cyclists. Very pleasant not thinking hardly at all about the world’s problems.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:32 PM

normally I never run red lights, but traffic today was non-existent.

went thru at least six controlled intersections where there were no vehicles in sight in any direction.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Got a nice long ride in myself today. Great weather here.

I declare it is an excellent time for road cycling. The roads are empty, local trails and paths are chock full of walkers, dog walkers, joggers, etc, but the actual streets are a great place to be right now.

good day out!