Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM

OT: Beware of scammers

I just made a rather big purchase at Costco via instacart (getting stuff for ourselves, my parents and my sister.) And one hour after delivery I got a text saying citibank noticed some unusual activities on my debit card and that I should call a number to verify.

I called and they asked for my CC number. I hung up because:

- Bank at most asked for the last 4 digits.
- The text actually showed the sender address: rehabilitation-s611see@calcuttachef.com. This should have been the flag to tell me this is a scam.
- I don't have a debit card from Citibank.

I called Citibank directly from the number in the back of my card just be sure that they didn't send anything.

They didn't.

Be careful.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:16 PM
Administrator

good catch.

never call an unverified number back. always use the number on your card or from the vendor's official web page.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:52 PM

^ What Angry said is totally on point. I've seen several people that have been scammed when they either called a number back that was left on their machine or they followed a web link that at first glance looked legit.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
^ What Angry said is totally on point. I've seen several people that have been scammed when they either called a number back that was left on their machine or they followed a web link that at first glance looked legit.
To add on to this if you receive a call (actually pick up) and don't trust it just hang up and call back the number printed on the back of your credit card or what is officially listed on their website (legit one).

I've been getting a lot of spoofing emails lately the last few weeks that appear to be scam phishing emails. Either spoofing paypal or apple. It will be some random email address most of the time with no bcc just you see a ton of similar emails in the cc line or to line. By a lot I get a paypal or apple one every day or so and even if I flag it they still keep coming through to my legit important email folder.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM
#RYFB

Likely unnecessary among all these smart people, but just in case. Always a good idea to forward phishing and other scam info to the companies. I happen to know these addresses by heart:

spoof@paypal.com
reportphishing@apple.com (I've used that to report phone phishing attempts too)
Old 04-03-2020, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Got one from Amazon, 'your account has been compromised, log in here'.
Another from paypal and ebay..all 'phishing'...
Quote:
I've been getting a lot of spoofing emails lately the last few weeks that appear to be scam phishing emails.
I've been getting some via text also..I'm sure it's some message tied to a random phone number generator but still, it's 'delivered'..
Old 04-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Got one from Amazon look alike. Came shortly after an Amazon order, saying that there was a problem with the credit card, and that I may be a victim of a phishing scam. Given the timing, seemed legit so stupidly provided card no. and phone no. Later thought about it and reread the email which had some minor grammatical errors. Assume it was a scam. Called Chase and had new cards the next day.