Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 02:13 PM

You don't need to spend that much for --decent-- and comfortable bluetooth headphones. I practically live in my Sony WH-CH510 for several hours of daily international Skype/Zoom and low music for computer-based work. 60 bucks. All you need. They do a good job with noise cancellation, excellent mic and voice clarity (this is important for me, lots of my calls include others with sketchy connectivity and echo-chamber concrete and tile rooms). Light and comfortable, I could not wear earbuds all day. These aren't audiophile, but they sound pretty good for my classical music/jazz work listening habits. I have others for deep listening and bluetooth is a constraint to hi-fidelity anyway. Best thing is great battery life, a charge will last through an entire day of constant use. Plus they fold to a smallish profile for carrying in my computer bag when I travel, they're a good choice for flights (remember those???)

Edit: these are blue tooth only. Sorry! How old is that laptop without B/T? As work at home becomes the new norm it might be time to upgrade your primary work tool- you can still deduct the cost from your taxes as a necessary business expense - so real cost may be a 30% reduction or so. For working at home, bluetooth headset is a necessity otherwise I'm chained to the laptop when I don't know calls come in. Plus, I pace when I'm in tense (or non-tense, or nonsense) meetings.

Last edited by zennmotion; 04-02-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Shifty Member

Others have mentioned Sony and Bose which are both good choices. Bose is definitely the gold standard for noise cancelling.

However, as an alternative, you may want to check out Sennheiser. I have the first generation PXC550 specifically since I like their touch commands on the side of the headseat and the slightly brighter, punchier sound than Bose. I think the new PXC generation are even better. One thing to note is that even though they stretch pretty well, people with big melons have reviewed them as being a bit tight. I have a medium Bell/ Kask head and they fit me perfectly.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I know you specifically asked for NON earbuds, but....
Have a look at these, I have absolutely love them, very good sound and amazingly comfortable and amazingly cheap.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-so...?skuId=4387700
I have an older set of these. They're pretty good, but the battery doesn't hold a charge very well anymore and they get uncomfortable if I wear them too much every day.

I just ordered a refurbished set of Bose Comfort35 mentioned on the first page. They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but they get great reviews, including from people here on the forum. They should arrive by the middle of next week.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
I just ordered a refurbished set of Bose Comfort35 mentioned on the first page. They were a little more than I wanted to spend, but they get great reviews, including from people here on the forum. They should arrive by the middle of next week.
You'll love them. I have a set of QC2s that are 15 years old and still going strong. Two years ago I replaced the cups on them with replacement parts from Bose. Easy to do and reasonably priced.

Then, as I mentioned, I upgraded to the QC35. Great headphones, and wireless is a game changer, as I found out with my wireless running headphones.

The refurbished pricing is excellent, and you get a full warranty...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Love my Beats wireless. Great sound, can do calls, etc, but they aren't cheap.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 PM

I have the Sony WH-900, a little older and a tiny bit less expensive than the ones mentioned here (but still $250)

I use them for music, calls and videoconferencing. They are great for all 3. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2020, 11:48 AM

Bose QC35. work very will with work laptop, my phone, my personal laptop, etc
being in IT, an open-ish office, and now from home, i can keep the outside noise down when i need to make a call - and when i'm not on a call, i can keep my music in so as not to annoy the wife.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Bose 700 have worked well for office videoconferencing from home.
They seem pretty darn comfortable to me, yet of course YMMV.
Edit to add: They are above the pricing target that OP had listed.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:44 PM

I bought a bluetooth version of sennheiser momentum last rear and have been very impressed.
there is a corded version that is closer to your price range

https://www.newegg.com/sennheiser-mo...82E16826106648
Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 PM

AirpPod Pros

I’m not much into in-ear phones earbuds either, but if you are using an iPhone and/or iPad, the new AirPod Pros are very good. The silicone seals make them much more comfortable, to the extent that I forget I’m wearing them, and they don’t fall out of my ears like the old AirPods did. They have active noise cancellation and a transparency mode that you can toggle between if you need to hear ambient sound. I typically keep both off unless necessary. Comply is about to release memory foam ear tips for them that will seal even better than the latex.