Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Would you buy a used carbon bike that has been repaired?

I'm searching all the usual places for a carbon canti CX bike for a reasonable price and I'm largely striking out. Last night I found a few Ridley X-Night bikes being sold by Pros Closet that are in my price range and I was ready to pull the trigger until I noticed a disclaimer that noted the drive-side chain stay had been repaired by Broken Carbon but came with a 5-year limited warranty. I emailed PC about the repair and they informed me that they don't have any more info about what the damage was or how extensive the repair was. The eBay sale post is here if anyone is interested. I can't make out any real damage from the photo of the chain stay other than some obvious chips that look like they were painted over.

My question is this: should I drop $800 for a frame set that was possibly too damaged to ride? Should I be even considering a bike that was beat on for a few seasons by a pro team?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Shifty Member

That's not a bad price for a nice frame. My question to you is would you ride a steel bike that had a repaired chainstay? Carbon can be repaired and the chainstay wouldn't really affect the quality of the ride. Bike looks like it has normal wear and tear and that repair looks good.

What makes you think it was ridden by a pro and not just a replica model? Anecdotally, my Bianchi was repaired at the seattube and I still trust it with my life.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Carbon is extremely repairable. I'd want to know who did the work and maaaaaybe what the extent of the original damage was. But, I wouldn't really have too many hangups. I've ridden a ton of repaired carbon: frames, disc wheels, forks. No worries, no problems.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
That's not a bad price for a nice frame. My question to you is would you ride a steel bike that had a repaired chainstay? Carbon can be repaired and the chainstay wouldn't really affect the quality of the ride. Bike looks like it has normal wear and tear and that repair looks good.

What makes you think it was ridden by a pro and not just a replica model? Anecdotally, my Bianchi was repaired at the seattube and I still trust it with my life.
It's a Telenet Fidea bike. Bart Wellens may have ridden it! But probably not because I think he probably rides a 52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline
Carbon is extremely repairable. I'd want to know who did the work and maaaaaybe what the extent of the original damage was. But, I wouldn't really have too many hangups. I've ridden a ton of repaired carbon: frames, disc wheels, forks. No worries, no problems.
Work was done by "Broken Carbon" in Boulder. Anyone know anything about them?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:14 PM

"Professionally repaired by Broken Carbon with 5 year Limited Warranty Included"

that says alot. i personally would have no issue with this bike.

you might even give broken carbon a call to ask about the repair, i'm sure bright yellow ridley crossers dont come thru their shop too often.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
"Professionally repaired by Broken Carbon with 5 year Limited Warranty Included"

that says alot. i personally would have no issue with this bike.

you might even give broken carbon a call to ask about the repair, i'm sure bright yellow ridley crossers dont come thru their shop too often.
I thought about that. Probably the better question to ask is should I ride a bright yellow bike?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Broken Carbon is operated by Brady Kappius of Kappius components. They do good work.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:34 PM

Does the warranty transfer to a different owner?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Calfee sells repaired frames regularly for $500. If I was wanting a used frame and was ok with repaired, I'd keep an eye on their page.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:39 PM
#bottlestorage

Used with a new warranty from a reputable company, yes. Used from Joe Smith on Ebay...no.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 PM

FWIW, I've bought a few small parts --bars, saddle, stem--from Pro's Closet as well as an XL jersey that barely fit my 145 pound 18-year-old son.
All the stuff was shipped properly and on time and was at least as good as described and generally better.
They returned the jersey with no problem.
So if you bought the frame and weren't happy with the quality of the repair upon in-person inspection, I'm sure they'd take it back with no hassle.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:21 PM

I paid $600 for a 2013 X-Night frame last year, no cracks or repairs...

If BC says in writing that they warranty the frame with that particular serial #, it should be okay...
Old 09-08-2015, 05:02 PM

Are you typically a lucky person?
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by na3s View Post
Are you typically a lucky person?
I feel lucky....

Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 PM

I don't know much about repaired carbon and just the sound of it could drive me away. $800 is a fair chunk of change that could be put towards a new frame.

Having said that if they say 5 year warranty, and have a record of standing behind said warranty. Why not? Thats as good as you would get with many new frames.

The frame looks great, took me a while to realize the white rectangle is the area in question. I tought is was a part of the graphics at first.

Tags
carbon repair, cyclocross, frame, ridley