Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 PM

Fix Scuffed Up TT On Serotta Fierte?

Ive stumbled across a Ti Fierte that has been kept indoors and only ridden about 3K miles. And it's exactly my size. However...a women rode it who always scuffed the top tube with her cleats when putting her leg over it and has done quite a bit of scuffing on the top of the tube. About four inches of really scuffed up clear coat on the carbon tube. I've only seen pics but there does not appear to be any structural damage to the carbon. But some clear coat appears to be gone completely and then real bad scuffed up area probably at least four inches long and at least an inch wide.

The price is good but I don't think I can live with this. I keep my bikes pristine and this ain't that. So, is there a reasonable option? Whom could I send or take it to? Also, I wonder if they can address just the problem area or if the entire TT would have to be shot? If so, I think a decal on the tube might be difficult to deal with.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:51 PM

My guess is it will always bother you unless you got it to near perfect. It would drive me nuts. And a decal over it bother me too. I'd pass unless it's a smoking deal AND the carbon wasn't compromised.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 PM

This sounds like a pretty easy fix for any semi-competent frame painter. Just sand off the old clear and spray on the new. I'd guess it would cost about $100.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:41 AM

^ I agree with this if the damage is as you describe (i.e., cosmetic). I would try to find someone local to you—you don’t want shipping to cost as much as the repair. Of course, the cost of the frame should take into account the cost of the repair.

Btw, you obviously meant ti/carbon (or iT as Serotta called it)—a ti Fierte would have a titanium top tube.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:53 AM

For maximum awesome, get the strava cue on your favorite epic race and make one of these...

Old 12-14-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
This sounds like a pretty easy fix for any semi-competent frame painter. Just sand off the old clear and spray on the new. I'd guess it would cost about $100.
Why not this? Fit first, if its that nice except the clear have it clear coated again.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM

disregard.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Yes, I did mean Ti/Carbon and I was not clear when I mentioned the "decal". I meant that just shooting the tt with clear might be more difficult and/or expensive because of the Serotta decal on the forward part of the tube. Guess I'd have to live without it or check to see if I could find a copy somewhere.

I'm mulling it over and checking to see if I can find someone in the Atlanta area that could prepare and shoot it but who also has some bicycle experience.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:45 PM
v a n i l l a

if you are thinking about buying it I would make sure you work a deal that helps to offset the re-clear

If you already bought it I would build it and ride it before I did anything.

Even though you say it fits you may not like the ride. I had an ottrott once and while I liked the ride, I was indifferent versus my Parlee Z3c or my current Moots CR. Is the Fierte a keeper? That may or may not end up being the case.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:39 PM

Are you talking about a Fierte Ti frame or a Fierte IT frame? No carbon top tube on a ti frame, but there is one on the IT. If carbon tube is just scuffed and not damaged beyond that, you could have the TT re-clearcoated at some point, once you figure out if you really like the bike. (I like my IT alot, btw.)

Edit: OK, I see you do mean the IT. The TT decal comes off with scraping with a plastic credit card. Or just put a piece of black vinyl electrical tape over it, and/or try putting the electrical tape over the area that's scuffed for now.

I had my TT re-clearcoated by Dick Drummond in Enfield, NH (Drummond Custom Cycles), and took off the TT decal at the same time to clean up the look of the frame. Charged me $200 and it looks really great. Other places I asked wouldn't do just one tube - they wanted $500+ to do the whole frame re-clear.

Last edited by tv_vt; 12-14-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM

If u were here i would fix you up that clear w/o any problem, but shipping will send you off...

Fix clear coat problems is not hard and can be done at home, just sand it and then get a 2k clearcoat spray can, and start applying coats till you notice that is almost even with the old clear, sand to make it even, polish and you will be good to go.

The nice about clear is that doesnt need to be super perfect because you can sand and fix the thing that way, add a super polishing work and good to go.

this one...

https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...-AL-FRAME.html

Last edited by ultraman6970; 12-14-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 PM

Here's a pic of the top tube the owner sent me. Bike doesn't have many miles as I mentioned and based on other photos I've seen looks very clean. All Ultegra.

I would imagine the entire tube would have to be redone. Not sure how to address the Fierte decals on both sides of the front of the tube? Leave them unless copies could be found?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fierte 48cm.jpg (61.7 KB, 207 views)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Pff thats nothing, you dont need to redo the hole thing....

Actually that ne in specific w/o looking at it in person because pictures are deceiving sometimes ok? You have to just sand with 1000 grit wet sand paper and then polish the thing like a madman. Done.

Or do what i was telling you... sand with 600 grit just like 1 ich around the scratch... put 2 coats, 1 light and one heavy coat... then sand using 600 grit sand paper in a little piece of wood to get the whole thing even, once you are right there close... polish... done.

U were here i would offer you to fix that for free...

Last edited by ultraman6970; 12-14-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:44 PM

A good bike painter has access to recreating decals or a very good painter will paint the logo on...a la Joe Bell. At a cost, of course...but, it will be better than new...

Just don’t use Ruckus, it will come back worse than when you sent it....
Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 PM

It just doesn’t look all that bad to me. I have a Serotta Ti, not the IT like yours, but very similar geo, I think, and it rides wonderfully. So you have posted to probably the most partisan group of SOS (Save Old Serotta’s) folks on the planet. We think you should get it, try it and fix it!