Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 05:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
All climbs are overrated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
YES!!!!!!! I only suffered up climbs for the thrill of swooping down the back side that was usually sure to follow.
Huzzah..positive hills and negative hills..gotta do a negative hill to get to the positive hill..
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Jeopardy question in the category Underrated - In Edward Pickering's new book, The Ronde, George Hincapie is quoted as stating that this climb "probably hurts more than any other climb in the entire World Tour"?

Answer - What is the Bosberg.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Yes. Highway 35. My error. I liked the Historic Columbia River Highway to the Dalles...
Ah yes, then up Seven Mile Hill and descend into Mosier? A lovely climb that is...but not on a hot summer day!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Someone mentioned L'Alpe d'Huez. If you do ride it, make sure you go to the actual professional finish and not stop at the Finish Line banner that is hanging before the underpass (wooden bridge?). I think the local bars put that banner up to get people to stop there for food/beverage. The actual finish is another KM up the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0630.jpg (104.0 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0679.jpg (109.0 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0687.jpg (107.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
I'd name the Cime de la Bonette south side (just a grind, no beautiful road in particular), l'Alpe de Huez (ain't bad but it doesn't live up to its reputation - there are way nicer and more rewarding climbs in that area). Also the Großglockner, it may be the highest in Austria, but it is a highway up a moutain, and always 1-2° steeper than would be comfortable.
Col de la Ramaz
Passo Tonale
McKenzie Pass

Check em out
Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
Someone mentioned L'Alpe d'Huez. If you do ride it, make sure you go to the actual professional finish and not stop at the Finish Line banner that is hanging before the underpass (wooden bridge?). I think the local bars put that banner up to get people to stop there for food/beverage. The actual finish is another KM up the road.
And don't - repeat do not - try to climb it on race day.

What a nightmare.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Col de la Ramaz
Passo Tonale
McKenzie Pass

Check em out
i second the Tonale, even though it was the very first (first of a few, i may modestly add) mountain pass with a name i ever climbed, as a 20 year old newbie on my dads old 1951 Girardengo, equipeed with cotton t-shirts, an US army surplus sleeping bag, a 30DM walmart tent, about 10 pounds of tools and 15 pounds of SLR in the front panniers....

Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by everbeek View Post
Jeopardy question in the category Underrated - In Edward Pickering's new book, The Ronde, George Hincapie is quoted as stating that this climb "probably hurts more than any other climb in the entire World Tour"?

Answer - What is the Bosberg.
George needed to do more climbing then (although who knows what he meant, and who am I to say that? ha!)

It's strange because the Bosberg is cobbled for only about half if I remember correctly going up.... it's wide, the cobbles are pretty good. Maybe because it's at the end of the race? Maybe it's when you know for sure won't win/podium and that's hard?

I went up there a couple years back and did a whole bunch of 'em the only one that really, really stood out as brutal was the Koppenberg. But like, magnitudes harder than the others, although by that point it had started to rain... got up in one go, but it was eye-bleeding hard which maybe had a lot to do with the tires starting to slip a bit and it was the last after a long 100ish km day.

I don't want to get into a list of overrated climbs for fear of setting the internet on fire (or the internet setting ME on fire!) but I can tell you there are a LOT of climbs out there, especially in France , that are only worth a darn because they're famous because of the TdF (or other grand tours).... as climbs go, beauty, variety, difficulty, reward, ambiance, traffic, safety etc. ... totally meh.

Last edited by rain dogs; 12-10-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Unlike others here, I enjoyed my Haleakala climb. This was back in March of 2001, but road surface was good. Traffic wasn't excessive -- drivers were courteous and occasionally friendly. I started at 6:30 am and temps never exceeded 80. I had a good time. The descent bored me, however.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
George needed to do more climbing then (although who knows what he meant, and who am I to say that? ha!)

It's strange because the Bosberg is cobbled for only about half if I remember correctly going up.... it's wide, the cobbles are pretty good. Maybe because it's at the end of the race? Maybe it's when you know for sure won't win/podium and that's hard?

I went up there a couple years back and did a whole bunch of 'em the only one that really, really stood out as brutal was the Koppenberg. But like, magnitudes harder than the others, although by that point it had started to rain... got up in one go, but it was eye-bleeding hard which maybe had a lot to do with the tires starting to slip a bit and it was the last after a long 100ish km day.

I don't want to get into a list of overrated climbs for fear of setting the internet on fire (or the internet setting ME on fire!) but I can tell you there are a LOT of climbs out there, especially in France , that are only worth a darn because they're famous because of the TdF (or other grand tours).... as climbs go, beauty, variety, difficulty, reward, ambiance, traffic, safety etc. ... totally meh.
I don't mind the suffering. But I want the payoff. I want panoramic vistas, and a sense of awe and wonder. That's why I hated the climb up Hood. I thought the scenery didn't justify the effort. That's also why I'll be hard pressed to experience a more rewarding climb than Mt. Tam.

Anyone got feedback on Washington State climbs? The gravel grind up Slate Peak is probably number one, followed by Washington Pass.

To Rain Dogs: I think "overrated climbs" is more interesting than "underrated."
Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM

He specifically used the word 'hurts' rather than 'hard'. I don't have the book handy right now, but "...your legs are still shot from the Muur a few km earlier...everyone knows that you have to be able to stay with everyone else to have a chance so everyone is going as hard as they can...".
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post

Old 12-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Nestucca Scenic Byway is solid if you’re in Oregon.

I’m partial to the hills in my area- Kneeland Rd., Bald Hills Road, Old Hwy 299, Mattole Road (AKA the Wildcat). Humboldt County has great climbing. Nothing you’d call huge but lots of fun rides.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 PM

I've been impressed with some of the climbs (whole rides really) Wildeberry & Cools have posted on youtube.

Great thread!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Great pics! Marshall Wall was disappointing for scenery or "toughness" factor? It's been a while since I've done it, but I recall it being pretty scenic...
Toughness factor
Old 12-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
If you have any intentions of heading east there's endless good riding in Western NC with some big-uns as far as climbs go. I think the actual Mt Mitchell climb via Strava is a bit overrated (starting in Marion NC). It's a tough climb but not really that scenic from that side...it's a bit blah. I prefer to climb to Mt Mitchell from the WNC Folk Art Center via the Blue Ridge Parkway (I also live 3/4 of a mile from the Folk Art Center...maybe a bit of bias) The road surface is better and the views are killer.
Yup - the ride up from Marion gets the steepest, but it's a 'meh' for scenary.

Quote:
Asheville and the Blue Ridge area are number one on my bucket list "areas." Mt. Mitchell (from Asheville), Jenkins Valley-Ox Creek, Bat Cave-Edneyville, Cherohala Skyway, etc ...
Well, it ain't Alpe D'Huez, but western NC is pretty fine as far as I'm concerned. The first is the ride up past Craggy Garden on the way to Mt. Mitchell from the Folk Art center, and the second is looking back. On a nice day, it's pretty awesome, especially as you move up in elevation into the spruce-fir. The air smells great and here's a banana for all that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0142_rsz.jpg (110.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0163_rsz.jpg (118.9 KB, 205 views)