Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2018, 06:47 PM

Regarding the price, the word obscene fits here.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Dave Weagle is perhaps most well known for the DW-Link rear suspension design bearing his initials.

I've raced on a few XC bikes with very light Girvin Vector Pro Carbon forks, and can say that, with a frame having compatible geometry to the particular fork, that linkage forks can work extremely well!

This design relies heavily on the diameter of the thru axle and the length of the "uprights" (that the axle attaches to) to realize a flex-resistant connection to the front wheel. I am surprised that it isn't much lighter.

A showdown test awaits between this Weagle-designed fork and the Lauf fork, though the Lauf fork has many years of development and sales behind it at this point.

My Linkage-forked hard-tail budget build turned out to be a favorite rider!

Old 11-01-2018, 11:32 PM

The new Weagle design has two air springs, one on each side. It also appears to have a rebound and compression adjustment on right side only. Since the only structural connection between BOTH sides is the thru axle, makes me wonder what happens when there are asymmetric forces acting on the two separate linkages, such as the (small) air springs with slightly different pressures, rebound and compression forces (one side only), etc. Telescoping forks distribute asymmetric forces through the arch connecting the stanchions, but this design has no arch ... hmmm.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:23 AM

only weagle i care about is JP.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTRider View Post
The new Weagle design has two air springs, one on each side. It also appears to have a rebound and compression adjustment on right side only. Since the only structural connection between BOTH sides is the thru axle, makes me wonder what happens when there are asymmetric forces acting on the two separate linkages, such as the (small) air springs with slightly different pressures, rebound and compression forces (one side only), etc. Telescoping forks distribute asymmetric forces through the arch connecting the stanchions, but this design has no arch ... hmmm.
Maverick duc fork does the same thing. Seems to work.
Suspension forks are so much better now than 10 years ago. I don't see it as the weak link performance wise in my riding. Pun intended.
A beefy fork nowadays is so much stiffer and precise than something from 10 years ago. If this makes a huge difference again it would be cool. But in terms of marketing I have a hard time seeing the baggy shorts bro rocking this. More spandex gravel crowd like the lauf.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 07:00 AM

As an avid MTB wanna be racer, I can tell you that forks need to be serviced to operate correctly- at least drop the lowers 2x per year and a a complete rebuild 1x per year. I would like to see the maintenance and procedures to keep this fork up to speed. I already have a bunch of specific Fox and Rockshox tools, I wonder what it takes to service this fork. Oh it’s ugly af-
Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Stumbled across this fork, while thinking about the one above...

Anybody remember what it is? The blog didn't have any info, and is not in english...

Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 AM

this makes me feel old because... it says i'm old

Quote:
Old-timers will remember Horst Leitner and his AMP linkage fork

fwiw, i'm hoping one of these linkage forks gets a foothold. i was convinced my amp fork was better than the early rs and manitou out there, it was certainly loads lighter. but that 1" of travel just didn't cut it.
at 2700 a pop, it'd better work. if it pans out in real life, i'd think the best case scenario would be to see it oem on a couple halo bikes in the next few years.

Last edited by vqdriver; 12-14-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM

here's a review from cyclingtips in Oct
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/trus...e-fork-review/
Old 12-14-2018, 12:32 PM

I find this super interesting and can see its a potential game changer. I would be inclined to do a test ride to see if the claims are justified. This fork might be an incredible upgrade for a currently owned bike. I hope they can move the price down but even if not, if this is a durable fork that could be amortized over years it might be worth the money.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
... I've raced on a few XC bikes with very light Girvin Vector Pro Carbon forks, and can say that, with a frame having compatible geometry to the particular fork, that linkage forks can work extremely well!

My Linkage-forked hard-tail budget build turned out to be a favorite rider!

Totally agree, in my case a significant improvement over the widely lauded Marzocchi Bomber it came with. Even this aluminum variant was lighter than the Bomber and so much more sensitive to even the smallest bumps, great on washboards. It was hard to find the big boy spring though.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:52 PM

As long as we're talking linkage forks. I was on a club ride last week with a fellow riding an old Amp. They're still out there and running great.

Now here's mine, stolen a couple of years ago:

Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Stumbled across this fork, while thinking about the one above...

Anybody remember what it is? The blog didn't have any info, and is not in english...

Looks to be a one-sided fork, with the linkage acting to handle torsional steering input and feed the braking force from the caliper into the fork with an optimal degree of anti-dive.

I would be interested to know how much travel was realized at what weight(?).

It does at first glance appear to feature a non-linear axle path very different from other linkage forks and from the DW design.

Last edited by dddd; 12-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:07 PM

thanks, dddd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Looks to be a one-sided fork, with the linkage acting to handle torsional steering input and feed the braking force from the caliper into the fork with an optimal degree of anti-dive.

I would be interested to know how much travel was realized at what weight(?).

It does at first glance appear to feature a non-linear axle path very different from other linkage forks and from the DW design.
I find it really interesting also. Doesn't look like a one-off.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:56 PM

I know it looks strange, but the Lauf and this both appeal to me from a mechanical perspective. The stealth bomber looks like crap too... but it and the F117 changed aviation forever.

I just wonder how much maintenance this needs... The beauty of Lauf's design is minimal maintenance required. I am intrigued.

So damned expensive!!!