Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 09:38 AM

I try very hard not to pass judgement on the objects of desire of anybody else....This especially holds true for those people within the same lunatic fringe as me. I don't mind describing how I may see things a bit differently from time to time....I like some vintage bikes, and I like some modern bikes. My interest in any of them is predicated on my opinion that they do their job well....extra points are awarded if they do their job exceptionally well. The whole Confente fetishism jumps the shark for me as it is based on the *story* and *drama*. They may or may not ride great, but that is not the chief driver of their value. On the other hand something like an nice old DeRosa or Gios or Prestige shop Peugeot has great interest for me as these machines are valued for how they perform. It's a great pleasure to ride one of those old machines and confirm the reputation....and to demonstrate that what was good in the 70's or 80's is still pretty good today. So I'm fine with the idea of elevating an exceptionally built bike to the level of art, but in the end it needs to be performance art as well. So, here in the lunatic fringe we all have our kinks....and they wouldn't qualify as fetishes if they weren't different from the mainstream
Old 12-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
Not my best picture, but the only one I can find right now. No Razorback decals on this one.....
Absolutely Beautiful Lou!!! Do you still have it? Hope you or the next owner is enjoying it!!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Randomhead

He made really nice frames, and I'm sorry his life ended up taking such a sorry turn and ended so early. I was always annoyed by the marketing while he was alive, and am somewhat floored by the valuations. I have a list of builders I would buy from before one of his frames. Probably more than one for the same money.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Here are two pictures of the Confente that I owned. It has since changed hands a couple of times and last report I got it was in Asia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRW_0062.jpg (54.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_0065.jpg (72.3 KB, 215 views)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM
ZhugeLiang

Vintage bike collection

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...argest/9991274

Quote:
Steve Nutt's new bike shed is bigger than most suburban house blocks and houses his collection of more than 200 vintage bicycles.

The 69-year-old Gold Coast resident believes he has accumulated the largest collection of its kind in Australia.

"I don't know anyone who has more bicycles than me," he said.

The former bike shop owner said he buys and rebuilds bikes built between 1890 and 1990.

"I mainly collect racing bikes and generally, ones with an Australian connection, either made in Australia or raced by Australians," he added.

Pedal-power passion began as a teenager
His passion for pushbikes started as a 14-year-old while attending Bondi High School, in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

He and his mates began racing and his love of the sport quickly grew into a lifelong love of steel-framed bikes.

"Mum was a single mother and she couldn't afford to give me money to buy a good racing bike, so I had to get a paper run and buy my own," he said.

"I never had a bike as good as all my mates, so that probably stayed with me and as I've become an adult, and near retirement, I decided I'd like to have the bikes that I couldn't have when I was 14."

Steve Nutt spends up to 10 hours a week tinkering on his bikes in his shed and never takes them inside the house.

He has not bothered trying to value the collection consisting of bikes ranging in value from $500 to $10,000.

"It's in the eye of the beholder," he said.

"Everyone likes something a bit different and mainly, I like racing bikes with an Australian connection."
Old 12-14-2018, 03:11 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I've seen this one the last two years at Eroica CA...

Old 12-14-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The comparison of frame building and brain surgery leaves me scratching my head. Wow. That definitely is a step far in an artisanal craft sometimes overflowing with outsized egos.

Thankfully we have builders here who communicate well and are slightly more humble.
Different skills and training and the stakes in brain surgery are obviously higher, but Brian's work was impeccable, his bikes ride fantastic, and he spent countless hours perfecting each frame, many more than he needed to.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 PM
cmg

great sad story, lots of drama over something as simple as a bike. when i first started buying bikes. the bikes i lusted for but couldn't afford were the first purchases. the era of steel had all ready faded when the purchases started. favorite memory when i got one of the first high priced bike was from a friends girlfriend when i rode it over there. "You paid how much and it doesn't come with a kick stand?' the Confente saga sounds like a niche film waiting to be made.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The comparison of frame building and brain surgery leaves me scratching my head.
You obviously haven't listened to the podcast Dr. Death. I would bet there are plenty of brain surgeons out there that don't have the fine touch and motor skills of a good framebuilder or painter.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:19 AM

it might rake in tens of dollars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
the Confente saga sounds like a niche film waiting to be made.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Not bad! But I think the ultimate collector has got to be that guy in Taiwan with something like 750 frames and complete bikes!

After all, who else has like 3 Cinelli Lasers?!

Or 3 gold Colnago frameset

So awesome or nuts!

For the article and more pics, go here:

https://www.sterba-bike.cz/item/asah...useums?lang=EN

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 12-15-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:06 AM
ZhugeLiang

bfd pal, I agree completely! I was searching for him but found this one instead.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Not bad! But I think the ultimate collector has got to be that guy in Taiwan with something like 750 frames and complete bikes!
If that guy ever gets divorced the bottom is going to fall out of the vintage bike market
Old 12-15-2018, 07:54 AM

Especially if she gets the bikes and sells them for what he told her he paid.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:26 AM

Despite the tone, I think there is a lot of truth in the Brian Baylis piece quoted above. It's poignant to me as he cites Bob Jackson as one of the over-rated framebuilders. I think that's true in most cases - BJ turned out many frames of varying quality from a well-staffed shop. When I was looking to have a custom made frame in late 1971, Sheldon Brown steered me to BJ, but he pointed me towards BJ's best model (called the Olympus, BITD). I wanted an all-rounder that would have clearance for larger tires and would accept racks and fenders so the Masi/Cinelli and similar were out. That frame has diamond reinforcements at the brake bridges, and long spearpoints on the BB shell and inside of the fork crown. When we tested a bunch of frames for stiffness at MIT in 1974 to help specify tubing diameter and thickness for the aluminum bike frame project, my BJ was one of the lightest frames and yet on the stiffer end of the frames we tested.

Sheldon wrote "A friend of mine has a Jackson that he has owned for years. It truly is one of the most attractive bicycles I've ever seen. It features great stove enamel, fun contrasting red panels, and rides great." And yet we've all seen some very ordinary examples for frames that have come from that company.

I contrast this with my 1988 Nagasawa fixed gear road trainer. I sent that back in 2014 to Circle A for a full strip and re-paint, and they sent some photos of the frame stripped, and told me it was a beautifully made frame. And when Dave Anderson made my frame in 2012, he sent links to a photo album with his progress week by week on the frame, and you can see the incredible craftsmanship he applies to his work. Being a stainless frame, with little paint when it was delivered, his brazing work is fully visible, and impeccable. I have little doubt that our contemporary framebuilders of his rank surpass the quality of the vintage high end frames. And when one adds in the significant advances in steel metallurgy, there really is no comparison.

All that being said, all three of the bikes mentioned above are in regular riding rotation, and very much enjoyed for what they are and how they ride, and how they look. The Nagasawa and the Anderson have more of what Baylis calls 'mojo' to me, but I think it is because each was made by one highly dedicated and skilled person - Anderson even does his own paint - so they feel even more as pieces of art as well as craft.