Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: To Potenza or Not to Potenza
Get the Gruppo 16 41.03%
Get the Gruppo minus the brake calipers 3 7.69%
Keep the 2005 Record and replace damaged parts 20 51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Law Bomb

I have one bike with record 10 and one bike with potenza.

I like both. However, I give a slight not to the record ten. The shifter throw in the potenza isn’t quite as positive, and different gears feel like they require a different throw. I’m forever overshifting which makes for the odd skip when shifting out of the saddle. Never had that problem with the record.

Also, the 10 speed levers are rebuildable. An hour and $60 in parts and you’re good for another 15k miles. Potenza is also ‘rebuildable’ but it’s a single shift unit that goes for $125.

That said, I ride the potenza bike more these days. I like the saddle better.

BL
Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM

Everyone:
Thanks for your input and certainly photos of some sweet builds. Net result - I've decided to stay with what I've got, for the most part. The change is that I will be mounting a slightly used Chorus 10 sp RD, with a medium cage. This accomplishes two things: 1) It is polished aluminum - no carbon, so it will look more aesthetically pleasing with the chrome; 2) The medium cage will allow me to use larger cogs that the Potenza gets (though not 11 of them).

For the frame: it is red and white, just like the one that got wrecked. The other color choices are outstanding too, with the black & white very sharp. In the end, I went with my heart. Will post photos of the new build when it gets finished.