Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Shopped till I dropped today, and ended up with a 2015 Audi Allroad. Just "fit" me, moving from my Saab 9-5. Hope it works out well. Nice car, dogs in the way back
Old 12-14-2018, 05:37 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
You're thinking of the C5 allroad (2001-2005). Current generation allroad is built on the A4 platform (as you note) and it has coil springs. No air suspension.

Agreed that it is far better than the V60 -- more comfortable, more fun...

Go out and drive one.
Thanks for the correction
Old 12-14-2018, 05:38 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Shopped till I dropped today, and ended up with a 2015 Audi Allroad. Just "fit" me, moving from my Saab 9-5. Hope it works out well. Nice car, dogs in the way back
congrats!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Thanks for the correction
No worries. Air suspensions aren't that expensive to maintain, if you have a *good( private mechanic and keep after any issues. Typically an airbag leaks, which causes the compressor to run overtime, overheat and then fail. Catch a leaking airbag early and you have no issues with the compressor. Occasionally valve blocks fail. Again, no big deal...

I've had four vehicles with air, a County LWB, RR 4.0, Touareg V6 TDi and an '04 allroad. Only had minor issues over the years. Love the flexibility, particularly for towing with the Treg, and for older parents getting into tall SUV more easily. Replaced the Treg with a Q7 TDi, would have gone with air if one had been available...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Sweet. Welcome to the club. If you live where it snows a lot, pick up a set of four Nokian snows on 17" wheels and enjoy winter even more!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 AM

pre-purchase inspection paid off

Update - I took the Prius in to a shop to get a pre-purchase inspection done, and they found that there was major corrosion in the fuse box, to the point that they couldn't get the computer hooked up. They also found engine oil leaks, and some of the under body panels were missing. They told me that purchasing this vehicle would be a poor decision, and I'm going to take their advice. I'm so glad I'm only out $100 and not stuck with a $4400 car that has major issues.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:39 AM

I've had 2 cars with air suspension, and both have needed very costly repairs. First I had a CPO Audi Allroad with a 6 speed manual transmission. I really liked that car, very handsome, great size(bigger than the newer Allroad, as it was based on the A6), sporty enough. But the fuel economy was not good at all, and the air suspension had 2 big repairs. They were covered under the warranty, but looking at the costs for those repairs, there was no way I was keeping the car when the warranty was up. Sure, the repairs would be cheaper at an independent shop, but each one was many thousands of dollars. Not fun walking out of work in the middle of the winter and seeing one corner of the car on the ground!

The other was a Mercedes GL diesel SUV. That thing was a tank! Huge and actually got decent mileage for such a big car, but again MAJOR repairs to the air suspension and other systems. Every time that thing went in for a service, the bill was $4000+. it was a company car, but we still dumped it soon after the warranty was up.

So yeah, I'm not a fan of air suspension. I like the concept, and I'm sure others have had better experiences, but I'm staying away!

The newer Allroad is nice as well. Smaller than the older one, nut no air suspension. Sadly, no manual transmission either.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:18 AM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Sure, the repairs would be cheaper at an independent shop, but each one was many thousands of dollars. Not fun walking out of work in the middle of the winter and seeing one corner of the car on the ground!

The other was a Mercedes GL diesel SUV. That thing was a tank! Huge and actually got decent mileage for such a big car, but again MAJOR repairs to the air suspension and other systems. Every time that thing went in for a service, the bill was $4000+. it was a company car, but we still dumped it soon after the warranty was up.
We had an airbag go on our MB500 wagon. Sounded like fireworks in our garage when it went. I decided to replace both fronts with Arnotts and had my MB indy (who purchased the parts from arnottt) do the install. Bill was around $1800 parts and labour. Still not cheap but the air suspension is usefull for 80+ down interstates then raise the car up for light off roading.

I learned (a bit late) that Mercedes dealerships are........effectively thieves. What a mechanic can do in 15 minutes on a Mercedes a MB dealership will charge 2-4 hours inflated labour. I think a MB dealership quoted my dad $2K for a transmission fluid change. The people at MBUSA are smoking some wicked weed.........he found an indy who did it for $400.....and allowed him to watch the work (per factory spec) being done.

Really curious where the pri fuse box is located and why it was so corroded.

Tags
honda, subaru, toyota, volkswagen, volvo