Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2024, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
All I need now is Old P telling me SRAM is crap, Shimano has no soul, and I need Campy..

I am, of course, just kidding.. as JK pointed out, this will be on a pre-built bike so I'm not too worried about having wires to deal with since I won't be dealing with them.. I do like the idea of the longer-lasting Shimano battery and I'm usually, knock on wood, pretty good about keeping things charged..

One of my questions/concerns is when we move to Oregon in a couple years and I am forced to ride in less than sunny weather.. I know the SRAM is stupid easy to use with gloves on, not sure on the Shimano.. and to be fair, I really doubt I'd be our riding if I needed to wear full ski gloves.. also, I have a couple pair of Bar Mitts from when I was in Alaska last..
Gee, really funny ,but true..Get Shimano and don't look back...Since you are talking 105 level, Campagnolo, even tho far superior, is a 'few' more $.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
On the plus side both Di2 and AXS are easier to set up than EPS from what I have heard from other mechanics!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
I only have personal experience with 1 EPS groupset install. The syncing/tuning is definitely it's own kinda process, and I'm sure someone who does them one a week would just know what to do. but I only have the 1 bike and need to google instructions every time I want to adjust anything.

My biggest gripe on EPS would be the limited number of frames that can accept the larger wire connectors. Or at least limited information about frames that would indicate that the entry/exit holes are large enough.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post
Having ridden both with many miles under each, and worked on both in professional shop settings and at home with my own bikes, its 50/50

My main con for AXS is battery life and brake feel, aside from fat hoods and several bleeds they just dont feel as good as my D/A and rs785s. Period - ie shimano wins

Batteries sure, AXS is a simple swap/charge but you better have a spare battery on you for those long rides. Shimanos battery lasts much longer, however your really screwed if an illprepared rider hasnt charged the shim bike and is headed for a long ride ie it dies. PS never has happened to me no matter the charging state. Tie game

As for the intuitiveness of each, AXS is simpler sure. Di2 smaller buttons but one can get used to that. Plus you have e-tube (or app) that allows you to program every single button, so theoretically one could set up a di2 bike just like an AXS bike. Shimano wins

Both are durable enough, and expensive enough structurally and aestheically. Not really a care I have personally. AXS mechs (rear) do look a bit cooler - tie game

Both brands have rear mechs with clutches - tie game

Set up?, duh AXS wins, dont really think the wires are that fragile esp if your remotely careful but yeah, a hassle to set up if one is doing it themselves and not the most attractive. Never really bothered me. AXS wins

Shifting for both is excellent, no issues there - tie game

AXS does allow for a bit of a wider range, even for 1x and XD wheels are widely available now. AXS wins

thats my 2 cents. do with what you will
I have both and agree with everything in this post. I have both and prefer Di2. Mostly down to battery life for me.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:39 AM

Timely conversation. I had SRAM 2X on gravel bike, went to XPLR 1X and it is awesome. And to complete the parts change, taking the mechanical group off my Cervelo and putting the SRAM 2X gear on it rather than Shimano Di2. This would be a Rival set up. While a bit heavier, the equipment is less expensive, and frankly, I've had no issues with any of the shifting or brakes people speak of. Slower shifting? Maybe, but better than the mechanical currently on the bike. I will admit, my Colnago has Ultegra Di2 on it. This would be my "A" bike, while the Cervelo is a daily driver and whatever happens to it, happens. My $.02.

GP