Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 08:16 AM
Vendor

A simple slide guide to tubeless and hookless

The recent thread about hookless tubeless motivated me to make this series of slides for our shop social media and newsletter. I've shared it with local clubs and will be sending it out every so often. I know it's not comprehensive, and I know opinions will vary slightly on certain numbers. Before tearing it apart in idiosyncratic Paceline/Internet fashion, please keep in mind that this is intended for a less informed and tech savvy audience than most of the folks who frequent these parts and places similar. That said (heh), if you have any recommendations for how I could improve this, whether editing an existing slide or creating a new slide, I'd be happy to hear 'em.

For context, I've included the little blurb I posted, too. Also, the handsome dude setting up the tire in the first slide is my friend and ace mechanic, probably the most conscientious mechanic I've ever met, Ian.

"Tubeless and hookless tubeless are two of the most frequent conversations we have with our customers. Hookless tubeless in particular has been under the microscope of cycling media in the last few weeks. At B3 Bikes, we are advocates of road tubeless and hookless road tubeless, when done right. We designed this slideshow to help you do it right, so you can enjoy the many benefits of road tubeless in confidence and safety."

[IMG]What is tubeless - 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Tubeless pressure guide v2 - 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]What is hookless tubeless - 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Rules of hookless tubeless - 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Tubeless Q&A V1 - 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-05-2024, 08:23 AM

I think the tape is worth mentioning more since it is almost always the culprit for a poor setup.

Don’t use levers when mounting a tubeless tire to avoid damaging the tape.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:33 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I think the tape is worth mentioning more since it is almost always the culprit for a poor setup.

Don’t use levers when mounting a tubeless tire to avoid damaging the tape.
Ooooh, good ones, thank you.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
please keep in mind that this is intended for a less informed and tech savvy audience than most of the folks

At B3 Bikes, we are advocates of road tubeless and hookless road tubeless, when done right.

[IMG]Rules of hookless tubeless - 1 by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
I'd only maybe you suggest why, given all the rest, you are advocating for hookless specifically?
Old 03-05-2024, 08:35 AM
Vendor

Did it come across like that? I meant it to mean that we advocate both tubeless *and* hookless. Lemme have a look and see if I can rephrase it to be more accurate.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:28 AM

I think the premise is great. I also think you're going to have to greatly condense the text to have the intended effect.

I'd try to edit each slide down to 3-5 bullet points that are each easy to read on their own. I'm interested in the topic and a voracious reader, and I'm having a hard time consuming the content.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:30 AM
Administrator

IMO, that is way too many words. As a casual user I'd either be annoyed, scared off, or flat out not read most of that.

The idea is good though.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:32 AM

Thanks for sharing this. While I don't currently use road tubeless, I'm starting to pay more attention to the technology. I was on a training ride this weekend with five friends. The roads were wet and grimy with winter road debris and dirt, raising the probability for flats. Sure enough we had two flats. One was with a conventional clincher tire. It was easily fixed and we were on our way in minutes. The second flat was with a road tubeless tire. The sealant wasn't sufficient to stop the leak. The rider didn't have any tubeless plugs, so we resorted to removing the valve stem and using a spare tube. By the time we waited to see if the sealant would work, determined we didn't have any plugs, removed the tire and tubeless valve stem, installed the tire/tube and re-inflated, we lost 30 minutes. My takeaway: road tubeless just isn't for me (yet).

Greg
Old 03-05-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Thanks for sharing this. While I don't currently use road tubeless, I'm starting to pay more attention to the technology. I was on a training ride this weekend with five friends. The roads were wet and grimy with winter road debris and dirt, raising the probability for flats. Sure enough we had two flats. One was with a conventional clincher tire. It was easily fixed and we were on our way in minutes. The second flat was with a road tubeless tire. The sealant wasn't sufficient to stop the leak. The rider didn't have any tubeless plugs, so we resorted to removing the valve stem and using a spare tube. By the time we waited to see if the sealant would work, determined we didn't have any plugs, removed the tire and tubeless valve stem, installed the tire/tube and re-inflated, we lost 30 minutes. My takeaway: road tubeless just isn't for me (yet).

Greg
This is common when people are not yet familiar with how to deal with the technology. My last few tubeless flats have all been fixed in under a minute either by inserting a plug or simply stopping for a moment, placing the puncture side down, and letting the sealant do its thing. Plugging the tire on the side of the road is one of those things that most people aren't yet very familiar with, but it's very easy, very fast, and works very well.

That said, for road riding, I do use tubeless as I can ride my 28's at 70psi. If I were heavier and needing to run that tire size, I'd stick with tubes - and even at 60-70psi the benefits of tubeless are pretty marginal.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:44 AM

I'll pass on anything that needs a PowerPoint presentation.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Did it come across like that? I meant it to mean that we advocate both tubeless *and* hookless. Lemme have a look and see if I can rephrase it to be more accurate.
Maybe consider what the target reader is shopping for. I suppose you may have inventory or obligations for certain wheel companies' hookless products, because otherwise, on your listing of relevant rules related to hookles, you could asterix and footnote a good number of these and indicate 'not relevant with hooked tubeless wheels'.

Or general guidance, like hookless tubeless is ideally suited to wider tire, lower pressure riding such as for CX or MTB terrain.

FWIW, as a Giant dealer (which B3 is?), Giant themselves would disagree with your rule #3 (73psi) on their stock bike such as this one:

https://www.bikebladeball.com/produc...a-398078-1.htm

Last edited by RoosterCogset; 03-05-2024 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I'll pass on anything that needs a PowerPoint presentation.
Yep.. sales pitch to spend thousands of dollars that doesn't need to be spent, doesn't make you faster, doesn't actually yield a huge increase in traction/feel/comfort/speed and is clearly more complicated.

Gravel or MTB, yes. Road, who cares.

Awkward that when we discuss this some posters are arguing for it cause they are selling it.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:08 AM

I run my tubeless (hooked) at 75/85 without issue and I got my psi suggestions from the Sram Calc.
They run smooth
They seal
I don't see why you'd bold that like it's the most important "fact" then repeat it as #3.

Last edited by makoti; 03-05-2024 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Is this for offroad only? Because I run my tubeless (hooked) at 75/85 without issue
He is talking about hookless.

But for me the 72psi limit for pavement riding is just too limiting.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
By the time we waited to see if the sealant would work, determined we didn't have any plugs, removed the tire and tubeless valve stem, installed the tire/tube and re-inflated, we lost 30 minutes. My takeaway: road tubeless just isn't for me (yet).

Greg
Sounds like your ill-prepared riding partner was the problem, not the tubeless.
Not enough sealant in the tire?
No plug?
Did he have a spare tube?