Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 07:43 AM

Folks, I'm not really blaming Ritchey. The Logic is a wonderful bike and even easily clearing all 28s makes it a terrific contribution to the road bike community. I love the bike and will recommend it to anyone. I guess I'm just a bit frustrated with the whole bike / tire industry for making choices a bit difficult for consumers who are not as technically savvy as others. Why should I have to measure a tire that tells me on its package that it is a 30 mm? How do I measure that tire without buying it and, in most cases, not being able to return it to the retailer if I have mounted and inflated it? I've heard this again and again on this forum and others -- don't trust what the package says. I've asked people for advice on tire manufacturers and one thing I have learned over the years is that Continentals "tend to run large." OK that is helpful, but what about other manufacturers? Why should we all have to rely on word of mouth or painful and expensive personal experience to make informed choices? Why should I have to calculate (at a pretty precise level) clearances on the bike frame in order to make my choice of wheel / tire combination? In my case, the tire rubbed on the side of the rear caliper where there is a little "bubble" in the profile. The DA 9000 series is pretty old, so perhaps that is the problem. I'm not blaming Ritchey. I would just like to see the phrase "depending on wheel and rim manufacturer" replaced with something more helpful. Sorry for being an old grouch.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorkevin View Post
Folks, I'm not really blaming Ritchey. The Logic is a wonderful bike and even easily clearing all 28s makes it a terrific contribution to the road bike community. I love the bike and will recommend it to anyone. I guess I'm just a bit frustrated with the whole bike / tire industry for making choices a bit difficult for consumers who are not as technically savvy as others. Why should I have to measure a tire that tells me on its package that it is a 30 mm? How do I measure that tire without buying it and, in most cases, not being able to return it to the retailer if I have mounted and inflated it? I've heard this again and again on this forum and others -- don't trust what the package says. I've asked people for advice on tire manufacturers and one thing I have learned over the years is that Continentals "tend to run large." OK that is helpful, but what about other manufacturers? Why should we all have to rely on word of mouth or painful and expensive personal experience to make informed choices? Why should I have to calculate (at a pretty precise level) clearances on the bike frame in order to make my choice of wheel / tire combination? In my case, the tire rubbed on the side of the rear caliper where there is a little "bubble" in the profile. The DA 9000 series is pretty old, so perhaps that is the problem. I'm not blaming Ritchey. I would just like to see the phrase "depending on wheel and rim manufacturer" replaced with something more helpful. Sorry for being an old grouch.
Do you have one of those thick serrated brake washers mounted between the caliper and the brake bridge? Sometimes this helps, basically pushes the caliper up and out away from the tire.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:41 AM

I do not have one of those. I'll look into it. And, friends, just to be crystal clear I'm sorry that my first post sounded like I was blaming Ritchey. That simply could NOT be further from what I meant although I can see why my post was interpreted that way. You're correct ... Ritchey deserves credit for giving accurate frame measurement which many companies do not. Upon reflection (over breakfast on a snowy Pittsburgh morning) it seems to me that if there is a culprit here it is probably the tire manufacturers. It seems to me that it would be quite easy for them to put out a tech sheet that states openly and honestly how their tires actually measure on different size rims. They know that we all ride rims of varying size, which is part of the fun (and science) of cycling. The trend now is toward wider rims and I completely get that and appreciate it. But some of us are still riding older (more narrow) rims. I think such a tech sheet would be something very easy to do. If there is one out there, please let me know.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:45 AM

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ reports the actual measured width for tires they test on their standard rim.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:27 AM

Thanks very much. I was not aware of this site.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:15 PM

most road tires are labeled for 17-19mm internal width rims. Enve started labeling their tires larger due to current wheels generally being wider.

Best bet is to assume anything mounted on a 21mm internal width will be wider than labeled. And of course on a 25mm internal width MUCH wider.

There are always some outliers though. For example 38c GravelKings (smooth tread) on my 23mm internal width gravel rims measure out to just over 37mm.

If you're trying to push the limits of your frame clearance, there is always some risk.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorkevin View Post
I do not have one of those. I'll look into it. And, friends, just to be crystal clear I'm sorry that my first post sounded like I was blaming Ritchey.
All good! I totally understand the frustration, I'm just as surprised as you about a 28mm tire ballooning on an 18mm ID rim too much to not fit on the frame! I was just shocked!
Old 02-17-2024, 12:48 PM

Wow… I’m so jealous it’ll clear 32s with room. I wish my caad13 rim brake cleared the 30/32 specialized roubaix tires I like for all around use! The direct mount brakes contact at the mounting points. A frame design constraint but they weren’t really shooting for anything over 28s so I guess I get it…

Last edited by ridethecliche; 02-21-2024 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:20 PM

To be clear to Mr. App, it was 30s not 28s that would not fit. I just mounted 28s on it and they fit with a lot of room to spare. This has been a good discussion. I have learned a lot and all of you have helped to clear up some long-standing frustrations. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:50 PM

One further aspect not yet raised, I think, is the interrelationship between lateral and vertical clearance.

I have the same Conti GP5k 28mm (printed) tyres fitted to both elderly Mavic Open Pro rims with c. 15mm ID and H Plus Son TB14s with c. 18mm ID.

While the GP5k is c. 2mm wider on the TB14s it is also 1-2mm lower, increasingly available clearance below the brake bridge/fork crown/brake caliper and/or behind the seat tube.

Once people get to testing the limits of clearance this may become a factor.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:33 PM

Another data point to add: I've got a 2018 Heritage Edition rim brake (same frameset and clearances as the current model), which I've used with anything from 27mm up to 32mm tyres (mostly at the upper ends of that range). Currently I've got 32mm Continental GP5000s on there, mounted to H Plus Son Archetypes (17.5mm internal), and there's enough clearance all round for me to feel comfortable. As others have remarked in this thread, the limiting factor is really the brake caliper rather than the frame/fork –*I'm using SRAM Force 22, which I believe gives a few more mm clearance than a Shimano brake. (Pictures and an old write-up of my bike here)

For what it's worth, I think the Road Logic is an absolutely lovely machine. I've owned both the previous grey version and the current iteration; I had a brief dalliance with an Aethos a year or two back which (despite having very similar fit dimensions) I ended up selling on because I missed riding my Road Logic too much.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:15 PM

Panaracer agilests give measured tire widths on different rim widths directly on the box. First time I've seen that labeled.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
Panaracer agilests give measured tire widths on different rim widths directly on the box. First time I've seen that labeled.
The Pirelli P Zero does as well.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaint View Post
(Pictures and an old write-up of my bike here)
This write-up you did years ago is what made me want a road logic, and one I reference often...and what made me try and figure out the max size of tire I can squeeze in this frame!
Old 02-20-2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaint View Post
Another data point to add: I've got a 2018 Heritage Edition rim brake (same frameset and clearances as the current model), which I've used with anything from 27mm up to 32mm tyres (mostly at the upper ends of that range). Currently I've got 32mm Continental GP5000s on there, mounted to H Plus Son Archetypes (17.5mm internal), and there's enough clearance all round for me to feel comfortable. As others have remarked in this thread, the limiting factor is really the brake caliper rather than the frame/fork –*I'm using SRAM Force 22, which I believe gives a few more mm clearance than a Shimano brake. (Pictures and an old write-up of my bike here)

For what it's worth, I think the Road Logic is an absolutely lovely machine. I've owned both the previous grey version and the current iteration; I had a brief dalliance with an Aethos a year or two back which (despite having very similar fit dimensions) I ended up selling on because I missed riding my Road Logic too much.
Hey, welcome to the forum!