Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2024, 12:16 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Not $400. I'd pick up one of the $50 Ali saddles, which by multiple reports are 90% of the benefit for less that 50% of the cost. It'll at least give you a good idea.
I have one, and its nice...not game changing but nice.
Ali link?
Old 01-17-2024, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Antares 00 is my go to saddle and I have used it since it first came out. It simply disappears and no matter the ride length is never uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I sprung for the 00 adaptive version, in the same width. I am not liking it at all, I think it is likely due to the carbon shell being tooo still and not flexing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
I returned a power mirror previouly as we didn’t get along (too short) and no issues with return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
Moving to the Power Mirror was a game changer for me.
At least there's consensus
Old 01-17-2024, 06:40 AM

You’ll never get consensus on saddles.
I love the Specialized Romin Mirror. Very comfortable on short and long rides. It has higher stack compared to regular saddles and you need to lower you saddle few mm. As mentioned, it is also sticky and locks you in place. And is it obscenely expensive.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
At least there's consensus
For what it is worth the 00 we refer to are different saddles
Old 01-17-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Ali link?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

There are a couple variations of this-one that mimics the Power and this guy that I have that uses the Pro Stealth saddle shape. Arrived in like 10 days...

There a quite a few youtube vids on these. Mostly praise. The primary complaint is that the material is somewhat higher friction than pleather, but that's true of the major brands as well. For stubby saddles, less of an issue as you slide around less.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the link. I want to tinker with my indoor setup

Last edited by AM7Jeremy; 01-17-2024 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:18 PM

Same. I love the 155mm Power saddle and have been thinking about trying a Mirror as I start sorting out a setup for MI C2C, which will likely be more than twice the time I’ve spent on a bike in a single day. Plus 2+ hour indoor sessions can use all the comfort help they can get.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
For what it is worth the 00 we refer to are different saddles
I am intending to go "down" a model to one with flex wings, every other antares vs saddle I have ridden has been great.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:05 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

There are a couple variations of this-one that mimics the Power and this guy that I have that uses the Pro Stealth saddle shape. Arrived in like 10 days...

There a quite a few youtube vids on these. Mostly praise. The primary complaint is that the material is somewhat higher friction than pleather, but that's true of the major brands as well. For stubby saddles, less of an issue as you slide around less.

Thanks. I almost exclusively use Brooks C17...have em on 5 of 6 drop bar bikes, but always curious about a deal and a style of product I havent tried.

The C17 is 164mm wide, so pretty wide, but the shell is curved and that measurement is along the curve.
So I will add your link as well as a couple others from that brand into the mix to consider. Looks like 150mm wide is the widest I've seen for these 3d saddles.
Some other 3d saddles by 'Racework' are also opened in browser tabs.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:51 AM

I swapped out my classic Aliante for an s-works power mirror 143 saddle. First impressions are good.
The new flat short shape was noticeable and unfamiliar, and so I am surprised that it was immediately comfortable...and this is on a longer indoor training ride where any bad saddle can be extra bad.

I will give it a few hundred miles outdoors before giving a final verdict.

Instagram
Old 03-21-2024, 09:37 AM

I’ve got several bikes with non-3d printed Romins and one Romin in the 3d printed version (aka Mirror). Although the shapes are not exactly identical, they are very, very similar, so I think it is a good way to assess the 3d material.

I prefer the 3d — it conforms much better to my sit bones without being squishy, and the result is I rarely notice the saddle at all while riding or have to adjust my position to relieve pressure build up. The only time I prefer the regular Romin is on short hard rides, like, say, a hard Sufferfest session indoors. Hard to explain why — it just feels better to sit on a smoother, firmer surface when I’m going really hard.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:38 AM

I like the Fizik one I had but it was hard on bib fabric so I sold it.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:40 AM

I rode regular Antares for a long time and put on the 3d printed version about a year ago. Set and forget.
Probably has 3.5k miles on it with some 150mile plus days 7hrs on saddle time. No issues here. Would buy it again.

Have an Ergon SR on my gravel bike and switch to that often no issues either and much cheaper. 🤣
Old 03-21-2024, 04:18 PM

I think some 3D printed saddles are certainly different.

The Specialized models are definitely squishier/bouncier under the sitbones, at least for me as a fairly lean person. I couldn't get on with them on the road, but the 3D Romin is the only saddle I have ever been able to do 2hrs+ with on a stationary trainer without appreciable discomfort. My theory is that's because it restores some of the lateral movement that an outdoor ride provides and a fixed trainer takes away. I'd say if you do long indoor rides and struggle with saddle issues, it's definitely worth a look.

I absolutely couldn't get on with the Fizik (Argo? It wasn't the Antares, I know that), but that was a shape issue. It was way too triangular.

For context, I'm comparatively saddle agnostic, and have been very happy with the San Marco shortfit dynamic, Bontrager Aeolus, and (non-3D) Romin on various bikes, but for long indoor stuff, the 3D Romin is by far the best.

Of course, I'm happy to concede a rocker plate might have the same effect...
Old 03-21-2024, 05:26 PM

I have a Specialized Power on all my bikes (except the new one) and actually just took the plunge on a Pro Mirror a few minutes ago.

The new bike (Fairlight Secan) came w/ a Terra Argo and it's OK but gets old after an hour or two. If I don't like the Mirror on the road it can certainly go on my trainer bike; as much as I like the regular Power, 3 hours is pretty much my indoor limit on it.

Last edited by dmitrik4; 03-21-2024 at 05:31 PM.