Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I'm a longtime Sram eTap/AXS user. I've had eTap since it first hit the market.

I think Sram's hydro are the worst ****ing thing ever. I wish they'd just fix them so they'd stop sucking so much.
Please expand. When I got Red AXS on my Pursuit I had some trepidation due to all the sour comments. I did have a couple chain drops but a K-Edge keeper fixed that. No big deal, I have always had keepers on my bikes previously. My main worry about the disk brakes were all the reports of noise and rubbing. Mine are dead silent...no pinging...no squealing. However, I expected more power than rim brakes but that does not appear to be the case.

Tim
Old 03-01-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I'm a longtime Sram eTap/AXS user. I've had eTap since it first hit the market.

I think Sram's hydro are the worst ****ing thing ever. I wish they'd just fix them so they'd stop sucking so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Please expand. When I got Red AXS on my Pursuit I had some trepidation due to all the sour comments. I did have a couple chain drops but a K-Edge keeper fixed that. No big deal, I have always had keepers on my bikes previously. My main worry about the disk brakes were all the reports of noise and rubbing. Mine are dead silent...no pinging...no squealing. However, I expected more power than rim brakes but that does not appear to be the case.

Tim

Same here, I've got Red AXS Hydro on 2 bikes and once dialed in have had no issues. Consistent stopping, no squeals when dry, and no FD issues. It's definitely finicky to set up but once dialed, it's no different than any other group. Discs all suck in my mind and are definitely more of a pain than rim, but these have worked well
Old 03-02-2023, 08:17 AM

Everything I buy these days makes me feel like the victim of cost cutting. New Force feels like more of the same. Brumble Bikes in Westerly, RI has old Force on sale if you’re interested.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:52 AM

The only thing I've found annoying are the stock SRAM brake pads. I prefer Galfer standard pads. I use the SRAM pads on the rear, which I consider far less important and use the Galfer pads up front.

The stock pads seem tough to get bedded in and have made more noise. I brake very little, so pads should last me a long time. I have 50 mile rides where I may use brakes four times or less. An 18 mile descent from Estes Park requires none.

Last edited by Dave; 03-02-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:12 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The only thing I've found inadequate are the stock SRAM brake pads. I prefer Galfer standard pads. I use the SRAM pads on the rear, which I consider far less important and use the Galfer pads up front.
Interesting, I've had the same set of SRAM organic pads on my RED calipers for 3 seasons now. YMMV
Old 03-02-2023, 09:21 AM

This is nice update, but my fear is that rim brake AXS will now trickle slowly out of dealer stock and not be replaced leading to the price of replacement levers skyrocketing a la etap 11.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2023, 09:44 AM

I'm not a fan of the new "sparkly" finish but the graphics and black bits look good. My takeaway is that if you are having FD or pad spacing issues then you now have an option to replace to those parts. Other than that just a mid cycle refresh. I've found Force to be group that doesn't look great (especially compared to 12 speed Ultegra and, of course, anything Campy) and is a boat anchor but functions really well. The FD can be fiddly on some setups but I've always been able to tweak it so it works well other than occasional random chain drops. If I was planning a new, non-Campy build I'd go with 12 speed Ultegra Di2 based on both looks and performance. I built a bike to sell last year with it and it looked great, was easy to build up and shifted perfectly with minor adjustment needed.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried bake View Post
This is nice update, but my fear is that rim brake AXS will now trickle slowly out of dealer stock and not be replaced leading to the price of replacement levers skyrocketing a la etap 11.

Isn’t the only unsupported 11s etap component the front derailleur? SRAM still offers the force 22 group on their site, which is 9 years old.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
Isn’t the only unsupported 11s etap component the front derailleur? SRAM still offers the force 22 group on their site, which is 9 years old.

This is my understanding as well. Maybe my fears are overblown.

Old 03-02-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Interesting, I've had the same set of SRAM organic pads on my RED calipers for 3 seasons now. YMMV
I should have said annoying, not inadequate. They stop fine but they're more prone to making some noise and harder to get bedded in. Pads should last me a long time since I use them so seldom. I have some Campy rotors and they don't work well together.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:21 PM

Of course only weeks after I update my bike with a new force axs group this happens. At least I get it on sale.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:55 AM

I am about to put in an order for a RD, Cassette and levers (rim brake) for a 1x setup finish for a build in the works on an older Cannondale Caad Optimo. I was admittedly excited yesterday as I could "get the new stuff". What a loss they are no longer supporting any rim brake option for an honest road bike group. I digress. Hopefully they keep at the RED level at least, when they update that this year.. likely..
Old 03-03-2023, 06:52 PM

Looks like the new Force is an upgraded Rival for the most part whereas before it was a downgraded Red. I cant say I care for this new Force much. Prefer the large hoods to the Rival ones, and maybe I’ll change my mind when I see it in person but the new look doesn’t do it for me. Really poor looking groupset to me (and I really like OG etap and Red AXS).
Old 03-03-2023, 07:01 PM

snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Not really a fan of the smaller levers, but I know that's not the majority opinion.
Speaking of smaller levers, I am not a fan of cranks shorter than 180mm.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:31 PM

Does anyone have significant time on the new Force FD? Getting a new bike in a week or two and building it frame-up. So I can get the new Force or go w/ Ultegra.
TBH, the chain dropping is a major concern for me. I do not think we should be so accepting of chain drops this often w/ new tech like this.

Overall, I prefer the appearance of the new Force and shifting (one per side). I prefer shimano for a quiet driveline and more accurate shifting.

Battery I'm indifferent to. ALthough price on the SRAM batteries is a little nicer and so is the fact that it's totally wireless.

But for chain drops....whats the recent word on the street? Better or same ol same ol.