Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2023, 01:01 PM

2023 SRAM Force Update

Visually, it's all been downhill from Red A2/Force 22/G1 Etap IMO. Force AXS was super ugly, and this is a marginal improvement, but still ugly. I think those black rings will look sweet with the current red arms though.

Not really a fan of the smaller levers, but I know that's not the majority opinion. I really like the current lever shape - great for riding aero hoods.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:20 PM

Even with small hands, the current force levers work fine for me. I don't use sram cranks, due to their limited range, so basically nothing new to interest me.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:47 PM

I'll keep taking the discounts on the now-previous Gen Red and Force, thanks.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:52 PM

Pic is too small to really glean much detail. Any links with more info?
Old 02-28-2023, 02:29 PM

If they are moving to the one piece powermeter chainrings for Force as well, then I don't like that. You are gaining +/-1 percentage point of accuracy when you do that, judging by their accuracy claims for Red vs current Force. In the grand scheme of things, that's probably not enough to justify moving to disposable chainrings + power meter. You would expect the chainrings to go before a PM, especially SRAM's smaller chainrings.

I guess that if I went SRAM and I decided I wanted power, I'd buy a pair of Assiomas.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:00 PM

Do the levers now have hidden buttons for head unit control?
Old 02-28-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
Do the levers now have hidden buttons for head unit control?
No. Also no bite point adjustment, like Rival. There's a translation from German on weight weenies, but there may be a translation error between buttons and levers.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...2660&mode=view

Last edited by Dave; 02-28-2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:22 AM

The updated Force info is now on the SRAM website. No contact adjustment on the brake lever is a downgrade.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/ed-frc-d2
Old 03-01-2023, 11:29 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

I'd be interested in the weight difference between 50/37 RED and new Force 2x power meters. I like the black rings, other branding is still meh.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:30 AM

Does the front derailleur no longer drop the chain? Because Jumbo Visma doesn't even trust the FD from SRAM, the big ringed the entire omloop het nieuwsblad
Old 03-01-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The updated Force info is now on the SRAM website. No contact adjustment on the brake lever is a downgrade.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/ed-frc-d2
Depends on if it ever even worked to begin with. Having set up 12 different axs rigs it never made a difference in my cases, so removing the option was a welcome addition especially since it made the shifter shape better at the front.

At the rear there's more of a pronounced ridge, but in my hands I liked it since it filled the transition area between the shifter and bar.

The only real difference between Force and Rival shifters is the blade, which is carbon instead of CFRP. Probably something like a 30-40g total weight difference for $200-300 street.

They basically did a trickle-up with most of the changes from Rival now going to Force. FD design, single sided power meter option, and shifter shape. I expect Red to be the full redesign many have been asking for, and introduced later in the year if not next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I'd be interested in the weight difference between 50/37 RED and new Force 2x power meters. I like the black rings, other branding is still meh.
The difference is all in the rings. Something like 70-80g. Think it's the exact same rings as Red, just painted black instead of the extra finishing required for the bare metal look.

I also like the look, think they're a viable option instead of the $800+ Red PM rings, although the replacement price is about the same. Red got you 50% discount on new PM rings, while Force is only 10%. Still, from my experience the one-piece ring lasts forever, especially with a waxed chain.

Last edited by yinzerniner; 03-01-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:44 AM

Detailed video by GPLlama today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ULrPrPOgQ

I personally like this sparkle grey finish. And I've never had a bike long enough to wear out chainrings up front, so that's not something that would keep me away either.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:09 PM

At least they named their rotors after us, that's cool.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:54 PM

Regarding the contact adjustment - it does work. To get the maximum pad clearance, the adjuster is turned fully clockwise. For those with larger hands who don't need a reduction in the lever reach, this may work to have some significant lever travel with no braking. If the lever reach is reduced quite a bit, the contact adjustment needs to set the pads as close as possible, or the levers will hit the bars before full braking power is achieved.

Without contact adjustment, the default would have to be the minimal pad clearance position, or I couldn't get the levers close enough to reach.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:52 PM
Deconditioned!

I'm a longtime Sram eTap/AXS user. I've had eTap since it first hit the market.

I think Sram's hydro are the worst ****ing thing ever. I wish they'd just fix them so they'd stop sucking so much.