Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 08:56 AM
slower than you

Yeah, but, how is that bike?

Kind of a variation on, But, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
Old 03-19-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Sharks, from what I can tell, are immediate. Chomp chomp, swim away. Bears, I don't know. Still has to be pretty awful, but I'm just guessing most bear attacks are to protect their young. But, big cats, if you encounter one who is hungry and scared, well, I don't want any part of that, because they know how to keep you somewhat fresh for as long as possible. And they even play with their prey. Anybody have outside house cats? They're sadists. Watch them with birds and rodents. Same DNA.
Did ya ever see this one of a Japanese trekker and a black bear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxJ-zAgJzt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Armadillo's were not around when I was growing up there but then neither were coyotes. Funny thing is the mountain lions are out here in Utah where I live and do wildlife photograph and I've yet to spot one fully to take pictures. Caught one tail going around a boulder one, found a deer carcass in a tree about a mile from my house, and saw two crossing the road in front of me in the same area as the carcass going to work. It was dark and no chance to even use the cellphone camera. I feel like I'll get a shot of Bigfoot before I ever do a cat, LOL!
Yeah the first armadillo siting was in 2019 and it's been increasing. I didn't know Coyotes were a relatively new thing. We used to hear them most nights. My understanding is they all have domestic dog dna in them too.

Yes those big cats are elusive. My wife and I saw one run right across the road in front of us in North California. Beautiful animal from a safe distance.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:02 PM

I was stalked by a mountain lion when I was out owl calling on some timberlands last year.

Pretty scary event. I saw the glowing eyes and tried to rev the quad engine and yell to get it to scare off but nope. Eyes disappeared with no sound and no sight. I blasted the heck out of there
Old 03-19-2024, 05:08 PM
formerly Landshark_98

A young and inexperienced juvenile, perhaps responding to the motion of the woman so nearby. Never run from a cougar.

I'm amazed though that it didn't let go and escape when surrounded and the strength of the cat is amazing. Wrong place wrong time for everyone; what a story.

Re cougars in the East. My sister swears she saw one in Pennsylvania and I believe her. The cat experts say they're not there because if they were there would be some evidence of a breeding and growing population. Juvenile males disperse to unoccupied territory and more than a few have been documented in the east. But females don't disperse nearly as often or as far, so the challenge is getting a female all the way east. The males are considered transient, and often die by car on a roadway. That said there is a whole lot of viable cougar habitat in the east with a very plentiful prey base. And more and more they're showing up in the midwest, but typically get killed, usually intentionally, for having done nothing but being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
A young and inexperienced juvenile, perhaps responding to the motion of the woman so nearby. Never run from a cougar.

I'm amazed though that it didn't let go and escape when surrounded and the strength of the cat is amazing. Wrong place wrong time for everyone; what a story.

Re cougars in the East. My sister swears she saw one in Pennsylvania and I believe her. The cat experts say they're not there because if they were there would be some evidence of a breeding and growing population. Juvenile males disperse to unoccupied territory and more than a few have been documented in the east. But females don't disperse nearly as often or as far, so the challenge is getting a female all the way east. The males are considered transient, and often die by car on a roadway. That said there is a whole lot of viable cougar habitat in the east with a very plentiful prey base. And more and more they're showing up in the midwest, but typically get killed, usually intentionally, for having done nothing but being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
We could use a few of them to cull the dear population. Humans don't harvest them as much as they used to and since they are edge feeding animals when neighborhoods replaces farms they overpopulate.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:53 PM

Here's one that makes you feel the human terror.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coug...UAVmz2Z-0,st:0
Old 03-20-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
i wish a rich cougar would attack me instead.
I don't know if anyone else laughed but I did.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
I wonder if the lady that was attacked was falling off the back, looking like a straggler.
According to their story, the woman attacked was in the middle of the five, riding together in a line.