Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2024, 01:34 AM

Advice or help with shipping a bike from Boulder/Denver to the east coast

Hiya!

I'm looking for a bike for a teacher friend on a budget and found something in Boulder that might actually be perfect for her current needs and budget.

Interestingly enough, I'll be heading to CO next week for a snowboarding trip and should have some time to go check out the bike.

Does anyone have any recs on how I might be able to ship it back? I don't have any relationship with a shop out that way re getting boxes etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: it might be hard to do since I'll have snowboard gear, but I could possibly also fly back with the bike all boxed up which will likely save a bunch vs flying.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 02-24-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Hiya!

I'm looking for a bike for a teacher friend on a budget and found something in Boulder that might actually be perfect for her current needs and budget.

Interestingly enough, I'll be heading to CO next week for a snowboarding trip and should have some time to go check out the bike.

Does anyone have any recs on how I might be able to ship it back? I don't have any relationship with a shop out that way re getting boxes etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: it might be hard to do since I'll have snowboard gear, but I could possibly also fly back with the bike all boxed up which will likely save a bunch vs flying.
I'd go over to FullCycle to have them box and ship the bike back. Taking it on the plane, along with snowboarding gear, may be tough AND expensive.

fullcyclebikes.com

Another to check is University Bikes on 9th st.

ubikes.com

Both these because they are dealers of some of the 'big 4' bike brands so probably have boxes...
Old 02-24-2024, 10:26 AM

Depending on your air line it may be cheaper to ship your snowboard home and check the bike. Just something to look into. I just shipped a snowboard from
NJ to Las Vegas for $32 using usps ground.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Depending on your air line it may be cheaper to ship your snowboard home and check the bike. Just something to look into. I just shipped a snowboard from
NJ to Las Vegas for $32 using usps ground.
I've shipped plenty of boards, but my board bag and all the gear flies for 30-40 each way. 2-3 Boards, 1-2 bindings, boots, jacket, bibs, etc.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd go over to FullCycle to have them box and ship the bike back. Taking it on the plane, along with snowboarding gear, may be tough AND expensive.

fullcyclebikes.com

Another to check is University Bikes on 9th st.

ubikes.com

Both these because they are dealers of some of the 'big 4' bike brands so probably have boxes...
Thank you!

I'll give them a call and see what they might be able to do re bike box and packing.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:38 AM

I would look into checking the bike (along with your board bag). Having done this multiple times, I definitely prefer it to shipping. You can get a box at any bike store. Then just fill it up with clothes and you don't even need a suitcase.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:22 PM

A little pricey but Pro's Closet will prep/box (but not actually ship) for $75
Old 03-01-2024, 02:55 PM

Ended up finding a fuji cross bike locally at a great price. It's TA disc and 1x rival. Currently set up for cross gearing but I'm going to swap a couple of things to make it more approachable for a beginner!