Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 PM

Merlin experts?

Anyone know which model this is? Just curious as to how it would ride (performance/comfort). I think their pricing is a little optimistic, but I really am not knowledgeable at all about them.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Administrator

might want to start here Mike:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=581

few points of discussion there.

agree overpriced as is.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 PM

Well, those don't look like Merlin dropouts, nor do those look like Merlin seat stays. The pic is fuzzy so it's hard to tell, but maybe the answer is "it's not."
Old 03-13-2019, 10:51 PM

Looks like an old Litespeed
Old 03-14-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Looks like an old Litespeed
Good call. Looking at old turn of the century Vortexes and Tacheyons, those seat stays look awfully familiar. Somebody rebadged it as a Merlin. Maybe not the seller, but somebody tried to pull a fast one.

Let's see- a $500 frameset, a couple hundred (if that) in old 9 speed parts, a $1500 (retail) S&S retrofit... sure, that adds up to $2400.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Does this bike, sold in December, look familiar?
Interesting.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 PM

Last edited by cribbit; 03-18-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:39 PM

I threw the guy what I considered a decent offer (probably a little generous) for the frameset and case. Told him I knew it wasn't a Merlin, and that those super-sweet Zipp handlebars, Cervelo saddle, Neugent aluminum rims, and Veloflex tires don't justify a $1400+ bump in price. Chances are, he got it for less than the $1,000 asking price since it was sitting out there for a few months.

He'll probably ignore me, at least for a couple hours until the auction closes. Then he'll probably ignore me some more. Maybe somebody will bite.

For a flipper, he didn't do his research on the bike and isn't aware of the current market value of non-premium titanium frames (re-badged or otherwise). It's a nice enough bike, and I would have snapped it up back then if I had seen the post, just to avoid the hassle of sending a frame off to Bilenky. Flipping rim brake bikes (or pretty much any road bike) these days isn't a lucrative profession for the vast majority of people.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 PM

The eBay auction ended without any bidders, he didn't answer my email, and he relisted the bike for the same price. Maybe those Zipp bars are super-nice...

I'm watching it just to see if someone goes for it.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM

He just responded:
Quote:
Thanks for your critique Mike. I am trying to flip it, but its packed up in the suitcase in my closet now, so it doesn’t take up a lot of space, and I may go to Hawaii next winter.

Your offer is interesting, but at the moment doesn’t make sense to me for less than $1750, since I don’t have much use for the leftover parts either, and I’d have to spend some time and effort taking them off and disposing of them in some other way.

As to whether its really a Merlin: I have a Litespeed from the 00’s and yes it does have those seat stays. It also has Litespeed deeply engraved on the bottom bracket, which this one does not. My initial effort in contacting Merlin to verify the serial number stamped on the bottom bracket was unsuccessful. I was told by the Merlin brand manager those records didn’t survive the transfer of the original company to the present holding company. I got it from a guy in Davis who said he used to work for Gor-tex back in the day and that he knew people at Merlin and they made it especially for him. My mechanic, who has been in the independent manufacturer and dealer business for almost 20 years and has seen a lot of titanium bikes didn’t have any question about it being a Merlin in spite of the seat stays.

I appreciate your interest and consideration,
Allen Davenport
While I appreciate the response, I'll pass. In today's market, it just doesn't add up. However, if someone wants to throw him an offer on eBay, here's a starting point.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM

If it was early 2000's it could have been badged by Merlin, built by litespeed.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Never seen a Merlin with thise seat stays.
Just sayin'
Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Again, no expert on Merlins or Litespeeds or pretty much any other manufacturer, but even if this were true, it would be a Litespeed with a Merlin badge, and should be priced accordingly. I can't see why a company with such a desirable heritage of ti building would rebadge what is obviously the work of a competitor. It's kinda like Moots outsourcing frame building to Lynskey, and selling a stock Lynskey Helix with Moots stickers.

Then again, it's the bike business, and few things make sense.

I have yet to come across a picture of another Merlin that looks like it- in any era.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
I guess what you are referring to is that in 2000, Merlin was purchased by American Bicycle Group, which also owned Litespeed, and all Merlin manufacturing was moved to the same factory as Litespeed. While Litespeeds and Merlins were built practically side-by-side, they maintained their own brand identities and design features. Those curved seat stays were a Litespeed design feature, and as far as I am aware, none of the Merlin models used them.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:23 PM

So it's entirely possible the "bro deal" the guys at the factory gave the Gortex guy was a Litespeed with a Merlin head badge from across the aisle. "Custom" and stuff.