Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
I will say Campagnolo has paid attention to certain things. Like how some bike companies have used their parts and had the retro touch done to them.
This could be cool, I just scored a closeout chorus 11 speed kit for my CX bike but wouldn't mind other options for a different frame.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:03 AM

The bigger opportunity for Campy - at all levels - is to address the clear trend toward mixed surface riding.

Some ideas...

1:1 ratios (32 or 34)
Clutch RD (or at least a competitive mid-long cage solution for wide range cassettes)
Wide rims

It might even be interesting to see a 1x solution, although I don't think that's the perfect move for Campy.

The reality is that Campy is squarely a pavement focused brand. They don't provide a real CX solution anymore.

We can debate the merit or necessity of "gravel" products, and the relative utility of Campy for unpaved applications - but the market reality is unambiguous. Campy needs to address where the market is moving, and soon.

12speed is great, and hopefully lays the foundation for a more compelling wide range cassette.

Would also be good to see some real leadership on the wireless side of things - so much untapped (ahem) potential.

I just took delivery of my first non-Campy bike in 15 years, and I'm not quite ambivalent about it because Campy didn't have what I wanted today.

If/when they address most of the items on my list, I'll switch back in a blink.

12 or not.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:13 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I just scored a closeout chorus 11 speed kit for my CX bike…
Bully for you. Anything to point others to? I'd gladly grab a Chorus 11 mini-group…
Old 03-02-2019, 02:02 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Bully for you. Anything to point others to? I'd gladly grab a Chorus 11 mini-group…
Bully? $199 for shifters is as low as I've seen them. Also got the RD for $150. https://planetcyclery.com/search/?q=2015%20chorus

Last edited by shinomaster; 03-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Bully? $199 for shifters is as low as I've seen them. Also got the RD for $150. https://planetcyclery.com/search/?q=2015%20chorus
'Bully for you' as in 'kudos' https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ly%20for%20you.

Thanks for the link.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:44 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
'Bully for you' as in 'kudos' https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ly%20for%20you.

Thanks for the link.
A new word!! Welcome.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:03 PM

Old 03-02-2019, 03:51 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post
The bigger opportunity for Campy - at all levels - is to address the clear trend toward mixed surface riding.

Some ideas...

1:1 ratios (32 or 34)
Clutch RD (or at least a competitive mid-long cage solution for wide range cassettes)
Wide rims

It might even be interesting to see a 1x solution, although I don't think that's the perfect move for Campy.

The reality is that Campy is squarely a pavement focused brand. They don't provide a real CX solution anymore.

We can debate the merit or necessity of "gravel" products, and the relative utility of Campy for unpaved applications - but the market reality is unambiguous. Campy needs to address where the market is moving, and soon.

12speed is great, and hopefully lays the foundation for a more compelling wide range cassette.

Would also be good to see some real leadership on the wireless side of things - so much untapped (ahem) potential.

I just took delivery of my first non-Campy bike in 15 years, and I'm not quite ambivalent about it because Campy didn't have what I wanted today.

If/when they address most of the items on my list, I'll switch back in a blink.

12 or not.
100% on this but I know none of it will happen since campy does not care about non road stuff.

clutch RD would be fantastic (specially if they did a 11 speed one... I would put one on my bike right away)... bigger cassettes are nice but since I can just put a shimano or sram it does not matter to me, I have 11-36 and 11-34 all working great with campy right now (road link of course, I think the 34 could probably work without it though).
Old 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Administrator

me if campy releases a subcompact crankset...

Old 03-02-2019, 03:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
me if campy releases a subcompact crankset...

I will be VERY surprised... but you can always just run a 11-34 cassette and have that 1:1... cheaper too.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Chorus 12s Mechanical

Quick review here
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/campa...peed-groupset/

So, Campagnolo only maker with 12s and mechanical..rim and disc.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 AM
aka RAEKWON

I am impressed...

"It’s claimed that upshifts have eliminated any shift lever freestroke, meaning any lever movement will cause an immediate derailleur reaction. The Chorus rear mech is optimised for 11-29 and 11-32 cassettes, but Campagnolo also offers an 11-34 option, still with single-tooth jumps across the first seven smallest sprockets.

Since the mech design matches that of Super Record, you could, in theory, run the 11-34 cassette with the premier groupset too. All three cassettes have aluminium spacers and a chemical treatment on the surface of the sprockets that is claimed to improve durability. It maintains a similar look to Campy’s loftier offerings, albeit with less machining."

Look at that, campy is LISTENING!

Had no interested in 12 speed campy until this chorus group, this is NICE.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am impressed...

"It’s claimed that upshifts have eliminated any shift lever freestroke, meaning any lever movement will cause an immediate derailleur reaction. The Chorus rear mech is optimised for 11-29 and 11-32 cassettes, but Campagnolo also offers an 11-34 option, still with single-tooth jumps across the first seven smallest sprockets.

Since the mech design matches that of Super Record, you could, in theory, run the 11-34 cassette with the premier groupset too. All three cassettes have aluminium spacers and a chemical treatment on the surface of the sprockets that is claimed to improve durability. It maintains a similar look to Campy’s loftier offerings, albeit with less machining."

Look at that, campy is LISTENING!

Had no interested in 12 speed campy until this chorus group, this is NICE.
Sexy! now they need to give me a 48-32 crankset and some of their nice discs and gravel town here we come!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Sexy! now they need to give me a 48-32 crankset and some of their nice discs and gravel town here we come!
the crank is 48/32! And comes in disc too, we are set!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
the crank is 48/32! And comes in disc too, we are set!
for reals? oh my next fishing/gravel bike ideas just got better!