Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 PM
Formerly rchman

Traveling Advice for Indoor Training in Kansas City

I have to travel to Kansas City for two weeks in the coming weeks and I'm looking for suggestions on maintaining cycling fitness. I have a race I'm focusing on at the end of February so I need to avoid losing fitness.

Assuming I bring my bike, are there any indoor group trainer sessions or possibly a place to rent a smart trainer?

The other option is to get the Feedback Omnium Over-Drive Portable Trainer which should fit in my bike case. Any feedback on these?

Suggestions?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 PM

My advice; don't bring your bike. It will save you a lot of aggravation.

If you'll be staying in hotels that have a gym, take advantage of any stairclimber, exercise bikes, or recumbent exercise bikes.

I once did this at a hotel: 15 minutes on the stairclimber, 15 minutes on the treadmill at steepest incline, and 15 minutes on the recumbent bicycle.

Call ahead to the hotel to see what they have or visit their web site.

No gym? Try this:

I've also just brought along shorts and sneakers, and climbed stairs in hotel. I made a game of it; skip a step, hop up a flight, don't use the handrail, bend over low like speedskating; it crushed me.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I tend to agree with Perer - how about a travel TRX kit? This one comes with a door anchor, which you can use in your hotel room.

TRX has a huge number of different workouts, and if your hotel doesn't have much in their gym, this will certainly be enough to make up for it.

https://www.amazon.com/TRX-Training-.../dp/B01LXL27XI

Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Formerly rchman

If I take a two week break from riding, it'll be a big enough setback that I won't be competitive for the race and it's the one race I want to do the entire season.

If it were the spring/summer, this would be a no brainer, I'd bring my bike and get some quality riding in as I generally do on trips longer than 3 days. But, it's currently pretty poor weather over there and road conditions are bad...and I'm from SoCal so colder than 50 is bad...

So, not riding is not an option. What bicycle related options do I have? Spin class for some reason is now only 45 minutes and is pretty far away from where I'll be staying. Anyone know of a gym in the greater KC area that has spin bikes that I can ride as long as I want?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchman View Post
If I take a two week break from riding,...spin bikes that I can ride as long as I want?
If you insist on riding, then check with the hotel in advance to see if they have a spin bike. Bring your own pedals and a wrench and have at it. Most of the time these gyms are empty so no one bats an eye if you remove the pedals. My co-travelers thought I was nuts as they passed by the windows to the gym-they were on their way to drinks and dinner and I was on a spin bike.

Forget the fact the bike may not have the same saddle or offer the same position on the bike as yours; as long as the heart and lungs are going, you're good.

Here too, I was once sent for training in suburban Chicago. After I knew where I was staying, I looked up local gyms and found one where I could pay for a single spin class. If you do the same, call ahead as some spin classes fill up fast, or the room may be off-limits if an instructor isn't present.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 AM

KC is pretty spread out, which was my only complaint living in the area; where will you be staying? If you are closer to MCI, check out Cycle City in Parkville (owner - Joe Fox). I know they put on classes WED evening.

I will add that most KC cyclists either bundle up to ride or do Zwift.

PM your location and I will give you some suggestions. If you can select your hotel, stay at a Weston; I find the brand to have the best gym, and the last one had a Peleton bike. If you opt to pick up a trainer, I got a KC guy who gives deals ... He may even rent one.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 AM

Spinning classes can work

See my tips below for staying in shape out of town by hitting spin classes.

Alan

Show up early and stay late for classes. They usually don't care
bring your heart monitor and use it.
Ck ahead of time on pedal types. Most use SPD. If you don't have SPD shoes buy some SPD sandals and the cheapest SPD Shimano pedals for cleats. They work well.
You can find places and call ahead of time for details
First try dedicated spinning places and then try rec centers and Ys.
If you want to try the Peloton bike I thinks some hotel chains have them in every hotel. The Westin in Kansas City is on the list below. The Peloton can give you a very tough workout and is entertaining.
http://fittesttravel.com/blog/2018/1...-peloton-bikes

I have been thru this drill many times.

Alan
Old 01-22-2019, 07:27 AM

I guess walking or jogging to a different BBQ joint every day is not in the cards.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 AM

Try connecting with Mark Horn who organizes KC area racing. He might be able to hook you up with a ride studio to train in. mark@paragoncreationsinc.com

He's on the south side of the city (KS side) Shawnee Mission area. There were a few studios, but has been a while since I was there - maybe gone now. One was set up with RealRyder (realryder.com ) equipment which is a unique experience. If you have power pedals take them along and ride your own workout.

The KC club has rides throughout the year, but weather is going to be an issue for the type of rides and getting out of it what you want.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have an omnium. Bought it for my wife who has yet to use it but I have been using it to bring it down to nyc. Its pretty great and does pack really compact and neatly in its own bag. That would be a good option for you but To me I would get anxiety to have to not only travel with a bike but also a trainner. Airports do that to me. However it really is portable and great. Also would be nice for warmups for races.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 AM
but not really

I've had a few business trips recently where I brought my kickr and bike (without rear wheel obviously) to use in the hotel room. I drove from home for these trips so transporting the equipment was NBD. I was sweating like crazy because the temperature in the hotel room could not be lowered enough and I didn't bring a fan.

If I was flying somewhere for 2 weeks and needed to train, I think I'd

- look for a spin studio or orange theory gym
- find a hotel with the best possible stationary bike option - a Peloton or something that enables you to follow your own prescribed workout
- invest in the feedback trainer and ship your bike ahead to the hotel. Plan on buying a fan to use while riding in your room

Having the bike in your room is probably most convenient for executing your prescribed workouts but also the most logistically challenging and expensive.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:54 AM
Formerly rchman

@Alan
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the Peloton partnership but that's a good option.

@sitzmark
Thanks, I shot him an email. I've probably ridden with him in the past when I was out there for an extended stint in the summer. Did all the weeknight rides and Scooters.

@old fat man
Option C is tempting at the moment but obviously a big PITA. What's the deal with Orange Theory gym?

I'm going to call around a few of the gyms to see which have spin bikes. City Gym KC has one in the main area. If I bought a pair of Garmin power pedals I could bring my laptop and Zwift. That seems like an ideal option, particularly if I get the Garmin pedals second hand, that should be the cheapest too. My only concern is showing up and it being used.

I have to be in Liberty during the day but I've previously stayed in the Plaza and commuted up so I'm more likely to pick where I stay based off of where I can conveniently work out.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:50 PM

I grew up in KC and my folks still live there. I know that woodside health club near the plaza has keiser spin bikes, as i have gone to spin classes there with my pops over the holidays. if you do want to grab the ominum trainer, i have one i'll part with. i got it for work travel but only ended up using it once. i'm in the bay area, hmu if interested.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I've had a few business trips recently where I brought my kickr and bike (without rear wheel obviously) to use in the hotel room. I drove from home for these trips so transporting the equipment was NBD. I was sweating like crazy because the temperature in the hotel room could not be lowered enough and I didn't bring a fan.

If I was flying somewhere for 2 weeks and needed to train, I think I'd

- look for a spin studio or orange theory gym
- find a hotel with the best possible stationary bike option - a Peloton or something that enables you to follow your own prescribed workout
- invest in the feedback trainer and ship your bike ahead to the hotel. Plan on buying a fan to use while riding in your room

Having the bike in your room is probably most convenient for executing your prescribed workouts but also the most logistically challenging and expensive.
thats a smart option. you could bring a set of power pedals if you are following some sort of program.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:00 PM

Not in kc, but we’ve got two bike shops here that hold standing “bring your bike and trainer for a group session” sssions all winter long. Some will let you borrow a trainer, and all will well you a bike. Just a thought.