Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 02:33 PM

For me, Zwift is only good for logging miles on days that its raining this time of year, and I literally do that while mostly ignoring actual Zwift and catching up on Netflix. No interest in the social aspect or any kind of structured training.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:39 PM

One word about Apple TV: occasionally the trainer will stop communicating out of the blue and you'll have to restart Zwift. Apple TV, Zwift and a Kickr are easy to set up but can be glitchy. I went back to using my Mac laptop because of the frustration of killing myself to stay on a B or C ride and having the connection drop and the group ride away.

Last edited by bcroslin; 01-15-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
For me, Zwift is only good for logging miles on days that its raining this time of year, and I literally do that while mostly ignoring actual Zwift and catching up on Netflix. No interest in the social aspect or any kind of structured training.
So what are you paying Zwift for? You can do that with any trainer.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
One word about Apple TV: occasionally the trainer will stop communicating out of the blue and you'll have to restart Zwift. Apple TV, Zwift and a Kickr are easy to set up but can be glitchy. I went back to using my Mac laptop because of the frustration of killing myself to stay on a B or C ride and having the connection drop and the group ride away.
not a big defender of apple tv or anything...but in a year here out in the boondocks of vermont with not the big city sorta connections have never had that happen once and I have that exact setup...300 and something hours on it and no such glitches...maybe it was just your legs?

Last edited by cash05458; 01-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 PM

I haven't read through any of the 3 pages, so what I'm saying might be repeat or different advice from what others are directing. But, I'll give you my input and personal experience.

My set up:
-InsideRide Smart rollers with smart resistance
-Using HP laptop with 20ft USB cable to place dongle next to motor on rollers
-HDMI cable form laptop to 55inch TV

Bike:
I only have 1 (Tarmac)

Make sure you have a fan!
I have a large vornado fan in front of me and plan to get 2 on each side of me as well. Overheating on zwift is no joke and easy to do.

Wheels/tires:
I use my standard road wheels (Enve 4.5) and set my tires to 90Psi for both tires

Why I use zwift:
I have 2 kids very active in sports and school activities. While it's a burden on my riding time, its important to me that they have every opportunity to be as active as possible. I get my time to ride when I can on the weekends if I'm not driving them around to their tournaments. So this leaves me with a small window of time to train or ride during most weeks. This time of the year with it getting darker earlier, that limits my availability as well. This is where zwift has become a MASSIVE influence on my riding. 45 min to 1 hour gets you a full workout. Wanna do more or have time for more, totally can! Im able to get on the bike 4 or 5 days a week now (Making the commitment to do so this year). I've even become pretty addicted to zwift racing. Is it as good as riding on the road? Most people would jump the gun and say NO. I would say YES! HOWEVER, is it as good as the road all the time? Absolutely not. I'd rather be out on the road 9 days a week, But there are circumstances where I only have limited time, the weather is awful...etc where this is about as real life you can get and I enjoy it! I would never replace it fully, but for those moments mentioned above, it can be a life saver. SO much better than just spinning on a trainer and staring a wall or trying to watch a movie.

Rollers Vs. Stationary:
There are advantages to both. To me I hate Hate HATE stationary trainers. I dont like just sitting and spinning with the bike locked into place. I LOVE using my rollers. Its takes a bit more focus and concentration at times, but it adds to the real life feeling where your bike can actually move around. The big downfall to the rollers is that you have to focus a bit more like mentioned and when doing hard efforts, it can take a lot of practice to ride yourself off of them. During races, I can easily see why stationary trainers would be an advantage because when I'm sprinting for that last stretch and I'm gassed out it can be hard to keep form and still push hard. With a stationary it would be SO much easier to allow yourself to get sloppy and just throw down the power however you need to without the fear of falling off.
How to enjoy Zwift:
Don’t take it too seriously. At first, just spin and learn the different courses and how everything works. Depending on your set up, I would take the time to do an FTP test. This will give you a good general idea on where you stand so you can know where your redline is and how you can be most efficient.

Your gear:
If you cant afford a smart trainer, there are easy cheap ways to utilize Zwift for what it is, which is a visual and virtual training tool. Even if you don’t have resistance from you trainer, it is still fun to have a destination to ride to on the map. If you are able to upgrade a unit to a smart trainer or smart rollers, you will then be able to experience Zwift in a whole new light. The feedback and resistance you feel climbing a hill and drafting is so cool. Its like watching a movie on TV vs going to a theme park and watching it while getting sprayed with water when a wave splashes and smelling the oranges while flying over an orange field. A whole new level of interaction that makes it enjoyable and fun, even during moments of pain lol.

People use Zwift for different reasons. Some use it as a simple training tool while others use it as a main source of exercise and there is nothing wrong with either. Whatever helps you get on the bike more is what it is all about. Be as competitive as you want or ride as easy as you like. It can help make you a stronger rider for sure as long as you are putting in the time and power.

Last edited by bianchi10; 01-15-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Retired!

Welcome to the worlds of Zwift!

I'd been using a CompuTrainer until last October when I upgraded to a Wahoo Kickr Core. I'm much happier with the Kicker than the CT because of the lack of a need to do a 10-minute calibration at the start of each ride (and the fact that CT went out of business). I had to upgrade because I was having issues with choppy video after upgrading my Mac to Majove and there was no fix to resolve the issue moving forward.

I have two fans to give me a fighting chance at keeping comfortable during my workouts. I use my MacBook Pro to connect to Zwift with an HDMI cable connected to a monitor on the wall in front of me. I use the Zwift companion app to make inputs to Zwift during my ride.

I can't say enough good things about Zwift. I never imagined when I first began indoor training all those (39) years ago that it would one day evolve into what it's become. It's the most motivational tool I have for getting fit on my bike.

I don't typically do group rides or races but I'm warming up to the idea of making them an occasional part of my rides. I've been enjoying the Tour de Zwift series of rides/races. They really get me to push myself to a level much higher than I ever would just tooling around on my own in the worlds of Zwift.

The workouts on Zwift are nice as well but I don't tend to make them my focus. Perhaps I will someday. I can't recommend the program highly enough. I think it's fantastic!

Kevin g
Old 01-15-2019, 08:42 PM
ergottWheels

This kind of fan will change everything. I have it connected to a power strip I can reach from the bike because it's too much until I'm properly warmed up and into the intervals.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/B-Air-1-...5-BL/207012958

Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
This kind of fan will change everything. I have it connected to a power strip I can reach from the bike because it's too much until I'm properly warmed up and into the intervals.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/B-Air-1-...5-BL/207012958

That has great reviews. How's the noise level?

Kevin g
Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
That has great reviews. How's the noise level?

Kevin g
Average for a fan. Not very loud at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Retired!

Quote:
Average for a fan. Not very loud at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
👍🥂

Kevin g
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
not a big defender of apple tv or anything...but in a year here out in the boondocks of vermont with not the big city sorta connections have never had that happen once and I have that exact setup...300 and something hours on it and no such glitches...maybe it was just your legs?
Ha! I wanted nothing more for zwift to work with the apple tv I specifically bought for zwift. When I say glitch I mean no connection and my avatar rolls over to the side of the road and stops. YMMV.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I read elsewhere that some will connect to a smart plug so you can turn on/off from your phone, Alexa, etc.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
My set up:
-InsideRide Smart rollers with smart resistance
-Using HP laptop with 20ft USB cable to place dongle next to motor on rollers
-HDMI cable form laptop to 55inch TV
Wow those rollers are cool, I just looked them up. I use rollers too, simple ones with a mag resistance. Do those have a fly wheel? The promo video showed the guy actually coasting. I'm guessing that built in rocker mechanism is for things like standing? I can stand on my rollers no problem but it doesn't feel anything like the road at all.

Those look cool. And +1 on the rollers, it's the only way I can ride inside.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
So what are you paying Zwift for? You can do that with any trainer.
Was wondering the same thing. If you're not going to use it but still use it, I can save you $5 a month. Send me the money, I'll do nothing for you for $10.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
"Alexa, turn on fan"