Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Backsplashes? Yes, that would do, but ours are volcanic subway tiles that are really cool and still pretty relevant. Our granite is dark and outdated and that is the Easier thing to update.

Back to op, oil based is way better for cabinets. Cabinets are not easy to paint unless they are prepped well ie removed all panels and hardware. There is a reason why when new houses are built the cabinets are half installed and painted in the garage for a nice uniform finish.
I'm in the minority on this--but with all the low VOC requirements, the oil paints of today don't set up and cure as well as those of bygone days. I have had lots of trouble getting a durable finish on doors (for example) using Benjamin Moore exterior enamel.

Here's a good rant:
http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...or_acrylic.htm
Old 12-29-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I've had the best luck with Benjamin Moore paint. Just make sure to prep correctly. If the surface isn't sanded enough the paint will come off from contact pretty easily.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
+1 on Been Moore very much worth the money.
I used it on our kitchen cabinets. Look at the "Advance" product line. 4 years on ...still looks great. Listen to some music or podcasts and take your time.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 AM

In the kitchen environment thorough cleaning of the surfaces is highly recommended to begin. Concentrated tsp. Nothing better.

Going to require a high quality brush and good technique to lay on the paint. Maybe even sanding between coats. Doors laid flat can really help.

I am reminded of those home improvement shows were they discover good quality woodwork underneath old paint and proceeded to strip the paint and refinish it all.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:18 PM

Find a good oil base enamel (if you can) and use penetrol to "thin" the paint per specific mixing instructions. Also pay close attention to the humidity and temperature of the room you're painting in, that greatly impacts the paint adhesion and flow characteristics.

I painted a large built in entertainment unit in the living room with oil enamel, brush and microfiber roller. Sheen was just about perfect, it looked like it was sprayed . Not easy, it took 3-4 coats.

would i do it again? Sure.....if I paid someone to do it!!!!

Last edited by 54ny77; 12-29-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM

30 years ago, oil was king. I recently made some new built ins and painted them with Benjamin Moore Advance $$$$$ water based. Goes on level and gets hard. Expensive stuff but I don't miss oil any more.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:59 PM

As the engineering manager of a cabinet factory, I'd say get an orbital sander and work those surfaces for Jesus and then light sand between coats. My life revolves around the control of VOC's and the cabinet industry is shifting away from high VOC finishes like vinyl paints and stains because of the environmental concerns and added costs.

Here is the future of cabinet finishing.
https://www.rmwrapsstore.com/blogs/n...tchen-cabinets
Old 12-30-2018, 05:05 PM
v a n i l l a

+1000 Benjamin Moore
The cost of the pain is inconsequential to the time and prep you will invest. Don't skimp on the last most visible step.

Behr? no no no no!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:15 PM

as a former house-flipper, painting cabinets is a major chore...taking off doors, hardware is the easy part.

removing all the contents, then so many surfaces to clean, prep, and paint, not to mention the restricted access...screw that.

don't care if they're not 'chic,' the 1950s knotty pine cabinets in my house will never see a drop of paint.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:20 PM

wow, that's very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post

Here is the future of cabinet finishing.
https://www.rmwrapsstore.com/blogs/n...tchen-cabinets
Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM

Well I'm half way into my project and I must say its turning out beautiful!

I TSP the boxes, doors and drawers. I lightly wet sanded with a 220 sand paper.

I did not want the smell of an oil base paint in the home, however I did use an oil based primer on all the doors and drawers, Kilz Complete in a 13 oz spray outside. And used Kilz Adhesion (water based) primer on the boxes inside.

The paint I used is Behr Alkyd Semi Gloss Enamel. I always had good experience with Behr paint and after talking with the rep at Home Depo I thought I would give it a try. Rep said if I didn't like it I could bring it back for a full refund.

I lightly sanded between all coats of paint. The Behr paint designed for Cabinetry flowed nicely, looks like it was sprayed!

So far I'm happy with the way this project is turning out, wife too!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 AM

I'm glad you're pleased with the project. How are you applying the paint?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Well I'm half way into my project and I must say its turning out beautiful!

I TSP the boxes, doors and drawers. I lightly wet sanded with a 220 sand paper.

I did not want the smell of an oil base paint in the home, however I did use an oil based primer on all the doors and drawers, Kilz Complete in a 13 oz spray outside. And used Kilz Adhesion (water based) primer on the boxes inside.

The paint I used is Behr Alkyd Semi Gloss Enamel. I always had good experience with Behr paint and after talking with the rep at Home Depo I thought I would give it a try. Rep said if I didn't like it I could bring it back for a full refund.

I lightly sanded between all coats of paint. The Behr paint designed for Cabinetry flowed nicely, looks like it was sprayed!

So far I'm happy with the way this project is turning out, wife too!
You mention you dont want the smell of oil in the house but you are using behr alkyd which is oil based.
Glad you are happy with the result!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Zinsser Bin + Benjamin Moore Advanced. I'd suggest spraying if you can.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I'm glad you're pleased with the project. How are you applying the paint?
I'm using high quality brushes. The key to getting a smooth finish is to apply the paint, brush than leave it alone. Don't keep working that area. After doing several tests I settled on using a small roller to apply than quickly use the brush.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
You mention you dont want the smell of oil in the house but you are using behr alkyd which is oil based.
Glad you are happy with the result!
There is a difference in the smell of the oil base spray primer compared to the oil enhanced water base paint, Behr alkyd. After spraying the doors and drawers with the Kilz oil base primer I moved them into our sun room. The smell is very strong. After applying the water base Behr I set the doors and drawers in out dinning room, smell is very tolerable and only lasts for a couple of hours.

Last edited by Tony; 01-18-2019 at 10:30 PM.