Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Aren't the Compass tires the same as Grand Bois?
I have both. Grand Bois cypres and Compass Stampede Pass. They are exactly the same.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slup View Post
I have both. Grand Bois cypres and Compass Stampede Pass. They are exactly the same.
That was my impression as well....
Old 11-03-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Aren't the Compass tires the same as Grand Bois?
The tread is reportedly thinner on the edges of compass tires, same thickness in the center so should wear the same
Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 AM

I regularly head out on the bike set- up with Compass tires to only stop at the end of the driveway to check air pressure thinking it’s low, but each time it’s the plushness of the tires.

The bike I have them on is my heaviest bike, a steel bike with a steel fork. My other two bike are Ti with carbon forks. My best times are on my steel bike. I attribute that to the Compass tires. Seat of the pants comparison.

I don’t know why Jan doesn’t get more credit for the impact he’s had on the industry. Maybe because he’s always seemed to be on the fringe of cycling. But I would argue that he’s had significant influence on an entire industry, caused a major re-thinking in terms of tire composition and size. We’re all now running 25-28c tires at much lower pressures largely due to his influence. It could also be argued that he pioneered the “All Road” bike.

Compass tires are legit. I was also a skeptic but I’m a believer now, took a while. I just received a set that I’m mounting on my gravel bike. Expensive as hell, can’t believe I pay almost as much for two bicycle tires as I would for two car tires, but certainly worth it.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slup View Post
For the same nominal size Compass tires are narrower and shorter.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:29 PM

There's an interview on the Path Less Pedaled podcast with Jan - it's worth a listen - explains how a lot of this got started...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2018, 03:04 PM

I'm a believer, but these things really do cost a lot. Just naively going to the Compass site, it'd cost me $90 each for three Bon Jon ELs.

Are there ever discounts or sales or any way to get a price break?
Old 11-03-2018, 03:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
I'm a believer, but these things really do cost a lot. Just naively going to the Compass site, it'd cost me $90 each for three Bon Jon ELs.

Are there ever discounts or sales or any way to get a price break?
never seen it from compass direct. I think there has been some resellers that have sold them at a small discount.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
We’re all now running 25-28c tires at much lower pressures largely due to his influence.
Dissenting voice here, I don't ride 25-28's, they won't even fit on a large portion of my road bikes. And I am not convinced 25-28's would make me any faster on the wheels I use and the bikes and roads I ride.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Dissenting voice here, I don't ride 25-28's, they won't even fit on a large portion of my road bikes. And I am not convinced 25-28's would make me any faster on the wheels I use and the bikes and roads I ride.
Yea, if they don’t fit then they’d probably would slow you down.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 AM

Hi all,
A question as I'm trying to decide on compass Chinooks - regular of extralight?
Is it worth the added 20 EUR per tire?
I ride in Belgium - roads generally suck.
Anyone compared the two types?
Thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperp View Post
Hi all,
A question as I'm trying to decide on compass Chinooks - regular of extralight?
Is it worth the added 20 EUR per tire?
I ride in Belgium - roads generally suck.
Anyone compared the two types?
Thanks!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk
I dont have experience with either but id go with the regulars because of road conditions.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:22 PM

have compass on my firefly but i'm about to switch to panaracer's. the compass tires are supple but i think that comes at the expense of puncture resistance and i'd like to do some more gravel riding this spring. the added protection and the cheaper price point of the panaracer's has me wanting to try them. most of you know this already , but i just recently learned both are made by the same company. i might be over-simplifying but is compass charging a higher price for a lower quality panaracer? are they the same tire minus some sidewall protection?
Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Corsa G + or Compass Chinook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
^^yup. From my understanding Grand Bois kind of piggy backed compass to the point where people were starting to think they were the same company and when compass started offering different tires/components they stopped distributing GB in order to differentiate themselves.

I converted from skeptic to believer after riding the Compass Barlows.

My question is compass chinook (700x28) vs Vittoria Cora’s G+. Any opinions on this? I wanted to squeeze some 28-30s on the road bike and am waiting until my veloflex wear out to make the choice.
The above question. Just put my deposit down on my last rim brake bike ever. I want to run 28s. One issue: the Chinook isn't tubeless compatible. Not sure about the G+. Anyone with direct experience with both?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
have compass on my firefly but i'm about to switch to panaracer's. the compass tires are supple but i think that comes at the expense of puncture resistance and i'd like to do some more gravel riding this spring. the added protection and the cheaper price point of the panaracer's has me wanting to try them. most of you know this already , but i just recently learned both are made by the same company. i might be over-simplifying but is compass charging a higher price for a lower quality panaracer? are they the same tire minus some sidewall protection?
This is like saying Chevy Cruze and Corvette are made by the same company, so the rides must be similar