Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 12:44 PM

CrossFit and cycling for an older rider

I’ve been doing CrossFit for several years as well as weight lifting. I definitely believe the lifting helps me stay fit. I’m now 63. I’m beginning to wonder if the super high intensity of CrossFit might be counterproductive. Does anyone have any insight?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:06 PM

Man, crossfit is worse than politics when it comes to eliciting opinions. I don't do it, but am familiar enough with it, and have plenty of experience with many of the movements, lifts. I'd say just use some good common sense. So, are you using good form? Getting any injuries from it (then something's wrong)? Don't use crazy weights etc. Honestly, at your age (and I'm not too far away), I'd probably lean toward a solid free weight routine, with solid and controlled movement. Just my two cents.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Crossfit made me so hungry and tired that I started to do poorly on the bike. If your focus is to stay healthy, a blend of crossfit and light cycling probably won't be bad. But if you're trying to bump your riding numbers up, I would avoid the crossfit.

On the plus side, crossfit is usually packed with young people and high energy, and the workouts zoom by.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Yeah, lots of opinions on crossfit. I've been doing it for about 1.5 years and really enjoy it.

If I were racing my bike, I would keep my intensity training for on the bike (not doing crossfit) and only do crossfit maybe once/twice per week in the winter - our gym does 1/2 the class doing weighlifting and 1/2 the class as metcon. Not all gyms follow that same program.

I don't race anymore, I get one longer ride in per week and one shorter training race and that's it. Even then, I think the crossfit (which i do 4x/week) is "counterproductive" in the sense that it doesn't make me any faster on the bike but it gives me a good enough base to do any physical activity I encounter. For example, I feel comfortable going for an hour run, long ride or short training ride with no dedicated bike/running training.

It's not "counterproductive" in the sense that I'm still getting a good workout in, enjoy the people at the gym and have a good time challenging myself in relatively new movements.

Depending on your goals it can be productive. For my goal of being "in shape" it works well.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:38 PM

Thanks. I do try to use good form to avoid injuries. I seem to observe, at least for me, that too high of intensity is detracting from bike performance. Probably an individual thing. I will be going soon to the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine to get my base numbers checked and also ask them. I’ll post their thoughts.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM

Crossfit

You didn't mention your cycling background?
What sort of riding and volume do you do?
Are you performance oriented, or a racer? If this is the case, crossfit could be counter-productive.
By design, crossfit workouts are high intensity and hit a lot of muscle groups.
This can leave you too fatigued to do quality work on the bike, or unable to recover from the quality work that you do (assuming that you do specific training on the bike).

That said, if you ride more for fun and fitness- crossfit can be great if you work out a box that teaches good form and technique.

I think an athlete of age 63 should be on some sort of 12 month per year strength program- Even if racing.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Cycling seems to be very cycling specific. If all you want to do is ride for fitness that's different. But I noticed that my running was interfering with my competitive cycling so I gave it up. ymmv
Old 03-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Crossfit has some pretty strong opinions itself about "chronic endurance exercise" doesn't it?

They don't have a high opinion of distance runners and cyclists.

Weight training is great and important but it is definitely hard to balance cycling & weight training if you want to perform well cycling.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:32 PM

I hate to sidetrack here but I can't resist an observation.

One of the rules of Fight Club was that you never talk about Fight Club.

Folks that do Crossfit seem to be in the opposite of Fight Club. It's like the anti-Fight Club.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
Thanks. I do try to use good form to avoid injuries. I seem to observe, at least for me, that too high of intensity is detracting from bike performance. Probably an individual thing. I will be going soon to the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine to get my base numbers checked and also ask them. I’ll post their thoughts.
I've never seen anyone over 40 at a crossfit gym. Do they tailor workouts based on age group.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:03 PM

I used to be a somewhat performance rider and would still like to be. I really do like weight lifting. I’ve been feeling “sluggish” on the bike this early season and last year which has made me look at everything. Got my heart checked, full physical, thyroid, etc. Fortunately health is good. The drop off seemed more than expected from just being a year older.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:36 PM

I do boot camp classes two days a week. Lots of stretching, kettlebells, plyometric stuff, some dumbbell work, all done in sets for an hour. It's helped my core strength tremendously.

I ride the other five days of the week and since it's winter I've primarily been on the trainer using Zwift. I've seen a steady increase in wattage in the past three months so my cycling specific work is being complemented by the boot camp exercises. I'm not flipping tires or anything, just lots of leg and core work. And I'm 54.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
I've never seen anyone over 40 at a crossfit gym. Do they tailor workouts based on age group.
Hi,
The gym I was at did not. The one I am at now does. The coaches here are pretty good at keeping the workout scaled for the individual.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:44 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Same here, the CrossFit gym I go to has scaled recommendations if you can't/won't do the workouts prescribed weight.

My gym ranges in age from early 20s to mid 70s with median being 30ish.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:06 AM

Cross fit

Again lots of opinions, for me, at over 60, it’s best for the young person. It’s easy for form to breakdown when you are tired, and since most Crossfitters work to exhaustion that’s a fairly regular situation.

I do strength training with a Personal Trainer, TRX, Rip-Trainer and free weights. I do a bunch have of pull-ups and push-ups too.

Getting injured over 60 is something I am working hard to avoid.

Ray