Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 03:50 PM

Campy Potenza vs Centaur shifting

Is there any real difference in shift feel between Potenza and Centaur?

I thought they are the same but trying to determine if they are different and Potenza is worth the additional cost? Parts drawings and pricing certainly looks very close. Part numbers are different for ergo between Potenza and Centaur so just trying to clarify this.

Both would work for my needs as want to run a 12-32 cassette.

Am starting to accumulate parts and want to make sure I am headed the right direction.

Thanks - Alan
Old 01-24-2019, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Alan,

i have them both in regular use and they are identical in function. my Swan has the centaur stuff and my ritchey has the potenza.

i actually prefer the matte black finish on the centaur shifters to the glossy on the potenza personally.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Thanks

I thought they were identical
Old 01-24-2019, 04:39 PM

Potenza is designed to work with Power shift levers only. Don't know if that means Centaur or not. Rear spring is weaker than RD for Ultra Shifters. Understand Chorus now comes mid cage length. From UK Campy service center site.

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/c...shtml#comp-mec

Last edited by Ralph; 01-24-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Potenza is designed to work with Power shift levers only. Don't know if that means Centaur or not. Rear spring is weaker than RD for Ultra Shifters. Understand Chorus now comes mid cage length. From UK Campy service center site.

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/c...shtml#comp-mec
centaur is power shift as well.

I have yet to try centaur 11 but I bet works the same as potenza, only different is it looks a bit cheaper
Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
centaur is power shift as well.

I have yet to try centaur 11 but I bet works the same as potenza, only different is it looks a bit cheaper
Actually....the service center (above) says to use a Potenza RD with a Potenza shifter. I just assumed it w/b the same with a Centaur.

They also say above.....the Potenza RD won't work with a Athena Power shift. Pull ratios different. So....not so sure about Centaur.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:38 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Actually....the service center (above) says to use a Potenza RD with a Potenza shifter. I just assumed it w/b the same with a Centaur.

They also say above.....the Potenza RD won't work with a Athena Power shift. Pull ratios different. So....not so sure about Centaur.
if it works or not I am not sure but I think centaur is technically powershift.

they also say potenza does not work with chorus and record and it does work so maybe works with centaur too.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:44 PM

Sure...Centaur is Powershift. I'm only saying I'm afraid the day of mixing shifters and derailleurs from these groups is about over. Pull ratios and spring rates seem to be designed around shifters and pull ratios of each group. They do say (above) you can still mix most FD's. Although Athena Power Shift is not to be use with Potenza FD's. They seem to be designing them to work within the group. And sure....you can make about anything work....sorta OK. Above description of what works with what is pretty good.

And a Potenza med cage RD with Chorus or Record shifters does not work as designed. The Potenza RD spring has less tension than a Chorus or Record RD. You will get a "lazy" shift action. Maybe you won't care or notice (if chain is tight)....but Campagnolo designed them different.

It's a shame really. I kinda like mixing things.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-24-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Is there any real difference in shift feel between Potenza and Centaur?

I thought they are the same but trying to determine if they are different and Potenza is worth the additional cost? Parts drawings and pricing certainly looks very close. Part numbers are different for ergo between Potenza and Centaur so just trying to clarify this.

Both would work for my needs as want to run a 12-32 cassette.

Am starting to accumulate parts and want to make sure I am headed the right direction.

Thanks - Alan
Centaur 11s and Potenza, mixed together, works just fine..front or rear ders...It's like SR/Record/Chorus..different materials but same innards..

As an aside..when Campagnolo was 9s only, before HG compatible, Campag made freehub bodies..I asked a guy from Campagnolo why they didn't make shimano compatible cogsets( to use a 'shimano' wheel/cogset with Campag everything else) and his answer was that Campagnolo made a full range, no reason to make anything compatible with the 'S' brand..That, along with 'for best performance' statements, is why Campag recommends that if you are going to use a certain level of ERGO, 'Chorus', for example, for 'best results', use everything in that level..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-25-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:50 AM
Administrator

also, for what it's worth, i've been really impressed with the centaur 11 and potenza stuff. set's up fast and works really, really well. i now have thousands of miles on the stuff, much of it on gravel and rough roads, and it's been trouble free.

i know some people like to stick to the top tier record, dura ace, red level of components, and there is nothing wrong with that at all, but i think the days of needing to buy the top tier group to get the top tier performance is behind us. the lower level kit just works!

after dumping the bike on a gravel road a few years ago and trashing a shifter, i'd rather have a pair of shifters i can replace reasonably cheaply, especially on a gravel offroad bike!