Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 06:46 PM

Tire wear, GP5000 (tubes)

I have just under 1,500 miles on a pair of tubed 25mm Conti GP5000 tires on my Firefly. Really happy with them. I notice they have two small wear indicator indents and that I seem to have a fair bit of tread left. What are folks finding for tire mileage life on these tires? FWIS, I'm about 140 pounds or so, and riding pretty good pavement.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:22 PM

I am at nearly 4000 miles on their predecessors the 4000s, and I’m still trying to wear that pair out. the caveat is that I weigh 133 lbs. At this rate, I’m still going to be on the 5ks when the 6ks come out.

Last edited by weiwentg; 09-20-2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:25 PM

I'm closing in on 3000km on a set of 28s. I run them at about 80psi and gave about 20% tread left.

I weigh 200lbs and ride these tires on all surfaces.

I've read they should be good for about 3500km.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:21 PM

5000 miles on a set, rear is probably close to needing to be replaced. Front looks like it’s ready for another 5000. I’m at 170-175 pounds, and run them at 90 psi....
Old 09-19-2020, 11:56 PM

I have around 1500 mi on a pair of 32mm 5000 tube model. The wear indicator looks less than half way gone on the rear. No flats. I just picked up 28mm GP 5000s and I'm looking forward to those. The 32's are close to 34mm wide on Belgium Plus rims and are too plush for my 145 lbs!
Old 09-20-2020, 02:12 AM

I replace these due to tears well before the wear indicators are a factor. Lots of city riding (glass) and gravel sections on my end, I find they last around 5k (km).

150lbs and 90psi here.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:20 AM

Haven't used the 5000's, but with the 4000's the tire was squared off long before the wear indicator signaled replacing. So I don't know if the wear indicator is much of an indicator.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:34 AM

In my experience (as lighter rider), think long before the tread will wear out on a conti, the ride is going to degrade. Rubber gets harder, less supple and I start dropping pressure to get the same nice feeling of fresh tires. If you are happy with the ride, then ride it until the threads show up (which I have also done on other tires), as long as you're not flatting. Tires are pricey these days, but I still will throw on a fresh set ~1x per year. On any main bike, I'm guessing thats 4+K .
Old 09-20-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Haven't used the 5000's, but with the 4000's the tire was squared off long before the wear indicator signaled replacing. So I don't know if the wear indicator is much of an indicator.
Agree ^^^

I just changed out a set of 4000's to 5000's yesterday. I had 6077 miles on the set.

Both still had wear indicators showing some depth,but yes rear as usual squared off pretty well by this time.

Could have kept front going as it doesn't square off but it had some decent small cuts & well....really 6000 miles Felt I got my monies worth & wanted to try the 5000's
Old 09-20-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with using tires that have "squared off"? I've never noticed any real change in perfomance with "squared off" tires.

A tire's propensity to appear "square off" is mostly a function of the tread profile. Tires with "bulged" profiles (thicker tread in the middle and thinner on the sides) tend to appear more "squared off" with wear than tires with uniform tread thickness across their width. But as long as there is sufficient tread in the center, they should be fine to use.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:33 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
What's wrong with using tires that have "squared off"? I've never noticed any real change in perfomance with "squared off" tires.

A tire's propensity to appear "square off" is mostly a function of the tread profile. Tires with "bulged" profiles (thicker tread in the middle and thinner on the sides) tend to appear more "squared off" with wear than tires with uniform tread thickness across their width. But as long as there is sufficient tread in the center, they should be fine to use.
I agree wit this. I suspect that folks figure that when they lean into a turn with a squared off tire they will be rolling on the edge of the squared off part and have reduced traction; like tipping a box on its edge. The tire conforms and the contact patch does not change much due to the supple nature of a bike tire.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:49 PM

Thanks, all, for lots of good data. Sounds as though I have a lot of life left in these shoes!
Old 09-20-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I suspect that folks figure that when they lean into a turn with a squared off tire they will be rolling on the edge of the squared off part and have reduced traction; like tipping a box on its edge. The tire conforms and the contact patch does not change much due to the supple nature of a bike tire.
.....Or maybe it's because the tire's feel and performance are designed around a tread that's only 2.7mm thick, and when you wear away half of it, it doesn't ride as well.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
.....Or maybe it's because the tire's feel and performance are designed around a tread that's only 2.7mm thick, and when you wear away half of it, it doesn't ride as well.
But can any one really tell from the saddle? I'm sure there will be some who say (and believe) they can feel it - but has anyone really tested their ability to feel it? I know someone who thought that he could feel the difference between latex and butyl inner tubes by how they feel. Then he and a friend set up a test where each of them would randomly install one type or the other of tube on the others bike, and then they would ride their bikes and try to figure out what type of tube was installed by feel. It turns out, he couldn't really feel the difference.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:39 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
"...Rubber gets harder, less supple and I start dropping pressure to get the same nice feeling of fresh tires. If you are happy with the ride, then ride it until the threads show up (which I have also done on other tires), as long as you're not flatting. Tires are pricey these days, but I still will throw on a fresh set ~1x per year..."
Agreed. My feeling is tires are "cheap insurance" considering we are balanced on two tiny contact patches at 45 mph downhill.
If going to a big planned ride I ensure fresh tires have been fitted onto the bicycle and tested to minimize opportunities for punctures or failure.
New tires also feel really good and boost handling confidence. I get thousands of miles from my GP3K, GP4K, and GP5K tires. :-)