Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 06:55 AM

Protective clothing in the TDF

When Marc Hirschi crashed the commentators talked about the bib shorts he was wearing and the added protection. The camera showed where his clothing was torn up except for the panel sewn into the sides of the shorts. Turns out Sunweb is using a special protective fabric sewn into their bibs for added protection. A quick search on their website reveals the anti-abrasion fabric is called “Dyneema”.

I’ve wondered for quite some time why clothing manufacturers have not invested more into designing cycling clothing for protection both from crashes and sun protection. Long sleeve jerseys with breathable mesh in key areas, UPF 50, and “Dyneema” fabric at the elbows and shoulders. Properly designed not only would a Jersey like this offer crash protection and sun protection but also be as comfortable if not more comfortable in hot weather. And knickers (yes knickers!) designed the same way, with breathable mesh in key areas and protective fabric in the hips and knees.

A few years ago I contacted both Champion and Hincape asking if they were looking into designing protective gear for road cycling. This was before the big gravel boom. Hincape did not respond but Champion did basically saying there’s no market and that the pros wouldn’t ride it, and if they don’t, no one will. But now with Sunweb, maybe that’s changing.

And if there was ever a market for such clothing, it sure seems the gravel scene would be it.

Hopefully that mindset is changing. With helmet technology advancing with innovations like MIPS, I believe the time has long passed for manufacturers to put some effort into producing protective clothing for road cycling.

Am I wrong in thinking there’s a big market out there for this?
Old 09-19-2020, 07:39 AM

Dyneema has been used in denim but I don't know how successfully.

I think cycling clothing is too disposable for most people to pay much of a premium but I don't really know. I think it's potential for long term durability is maybe more useful than in any sort of protective/crash scenario. Are there really enough bike racers in the world who crash regularly to drive this or would it just be weekenders with deep pockets who like the idea of an added layer of security, real or not?

I'm waiting for someone to spin a fiber from it that's incorporated into a carbon bike to make dents and dings less of an issue.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:24 PM

FYI, Santini offers a Dyneema "Impact" bib: https://www.probikekit.com/sports-sh.../11683063.html
Old 09-19-2020, 12:51 PM

Sunweb's clothing sponsor is Craft, which produces their CTM Armor Bib Shorts with Dyneema:

https://www.craftsportswear.com/B2C%...907147-999000/

Interestingly, these bib shorts don't appear on Craft's US web site (https://www.craftsports.us/), and a google search only finds it at European retailers. I wonder why they aren't available in the US?
Old 09-19-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Dyneema has been used in denim but I don't know how successfully.

I think cycling clothing is too disposable for most people to pay much of a premium but I don't really know. I think it's potential for long term durability is maybe more useful than in any sort of protective/crash scenario. Are there really enough bike racers in the world who crash regularly to drive this or would it just be weekenders with deep pockets who like the idea of an added layer of security, real or not?

I'm waiting for someone to spin a fiber from it that's incorporated into a carbon bike to make dents and dings less of an issue.

As long as companies like Assos and Rapha can sell 300 dollar shorts, we know that cycling clothing is NOT too disposable for people to pay a premium. I can't imagine it would be that expensive to build some kevlar or something into shorts, so long as they also remained breathable and comfortable. And you don't have to crash regularly--once is enough to know how horrible road rash on your ass can be.

Who makes these shorts now, and how much are they?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:37 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Motorcycling jeans

I think I still have a pair of Draggin’ jeans. Used to wear them in the spring and fall when I went out for easy, moderate paced rides on the Ducati. They had Kevlar in the seat, hip and knee area. Just glad that I never had to test them out
Old 09-19-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
When Marc Hirschi crashed the commentators talked about the bib shorts he was wearing and the added protection. The camera showed where his clothing was torn up except for the panel sewn into the sides of the shorts. Turns out Sunweb is using a special protective fabric sewn into their bibs for added protection. A quick search on their website reveals the anti-abrasion fabric is called “Dyneema”.

I’ve wondered for quite some time why clothing manufacturers have not invested more into designing cycling clothing for protection both from crashes and sun protection. Long sleeve jerseys with breathable mesh in key areas, UPF 50, and “Dyneema” fabric at the elbows and shoulders. Properly designed not only would a Jersey like this offer crash protection and sun protection but also be as comfortable if not more comfortable in hot weather. And knickers (yes knickers!) designed the same way, with breathable mesh in key areas and protective fabric in the hips and knees.

A few years ago I contacted both Champion and Hincape asking if they were looking into designing protective gear for road cycling. This was before the big gravel boom. Hincape did not respond but Champion did basically saying there’s no market and that the pros wouldn’t ride it, and if they don’t, no one will. But now with Sunweb, maybe that’s changing.

And if there was ever a market for such clothing, it sure seems the gravel scene would be it.

Hopefully that mindset is changing. With helmet technology advancing with innovations like MIPS, I believe the time has long passed for manufacturers to put some effort into producing protective clothing for road cycling.

Am I wrong in thinking there’s a big market out there for this?
Interesting. Dyneema Cuben Fiber, aka DCF (formerly cuben fiber) was/is used in high end racing sails. From there it trickled down to backpacking gear (tents, backpacks), which is how I first came across it.

Like all materials, it has advantages and disadvantages. It has high tensile strength (low susceptibility to tearing). The tradeoff is relatively high susceptibility to punctures. High tensile strength makes sense for cycling shorts, or any cycling clothing. If it's punctured while you're riding, well, you've probably got bigger problems.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
FYI, Santini offers a Dyneema "Impact" bib: https://www.probikekit.com/sports-sh.../11683063.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Sunweb's clothing sponsor is Craft, which produces their CTM Armor Bib Shorts with Dyneema:

https://www.craftsportswear.com/B2C%...907147-999000/

Interestingly, these bib shorts don't appear on Craft's US web site (https://www.craftsports.us/), and a google search only finds it at European retailers. I wonder why they aren't available in the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
As long as companies like Assos and Rapha can sell 300 dollar shorts, we know that cycling clothing is NOT too disposable for people to pay a premium. I can't imagine it would be that expensive to build some kevlar or something into shorts, so long as they also remained breathable and comfortable. And you don't have to crash regularly--once is enough to know how horrible road rash on your ass can be.

Who makes these shorts now, and how much are they?
Interesting. I guess I thought it would command bigger premium. Still, I don't know how many bibs in the $300 range are sold ea. year but it's not that many. I think pearl Izumi sells ten times the amount of clothing as Assos and even Pearl is mid price, not budget price clothing.

I recall Dyneema and Kevlar needing special equipment to sew it but maybe that's not a big deal any longer.

The problem I see with using too much of it in a short is that it doesn't stretch.

Cool stuff either way but I'm not a customer.

Craft always seems to have cooler stuff avail. outside the US market. Not sure why...maybe tariffs play some role but it's been that way for years as I recall.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:27 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Interestingly, about 10 years ago, aerospace engineer cycling buddy of mine Designed and tried to market a line of road cycling clothing with either Deneen’s or Kevlar layers at impact/slide zones in the shirts, bibs, and jerseys.

The project went nowhere as he could not find a clothing manufacturer willing to partner the project.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:49 PM

Q36.5 has been using Dyneema in their stuff for a couple years now.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Q36.5 has been using Dyneema in their stuff for a couple years now.
Q36.5 with the bulletproof crotch.

Who knew...
Old 09-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

I would very gladly pay-up for nice reinforced garments.
Find a way to prevent jersey pockets from sagging, too!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
I would very gladly pay-up for nice reinforced garments.
Find a way to prevent jersey pockets from sagging, too!
Besides the sagging pockets, what do you feel needs reinforcing or is it just a long term durability issue/desire?

Do you put everything in jersey pockets?
Old 09-19-2020, 07:22 PM

Back in the day, early '80's, many people worn a tee shirt under their jersey and two pair of short during crits.

In the late '80's I had a pair of shorts with thicker, tougher fabric on the hips. They were marketed as MTB shorts. The chamiois was terrible l.

Last edited by Hellgate; 09-19-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Back in the day, early '80's, many people worn a tee shirt under their jersey and two pair of short during crits.
I remember those days indeed.