Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Trying to decipher whether this was in jest, honestly can't tell. But, as someone who once had a single digit handicap, @130R's comment above about cycling being expensive made me laugh. Maybe a greater initial cost for good equipment, but once set up it's a cheap hobby. Also, cycling's less of a time sink for sure.

Personally, I was beginning to feel a bit of burnout the last couple of weeks, but just a few days of AQI enforced inactivity has me itching to feel the wind in my face again.

That said, better to let the passion rekindle itself than to force the issue -- best of luck.
Not joking at all. There's a cerebral and physical element in golf that I find appealing. Over the years I've only played a few rounds on par 3 courses but have had periods where I hit golf balls regularly. I think it would take me years to master golf. Whereas three months after taking up road riding, I could sprint at 41mph and keep up with friends who had been riding for years. Based on the golf handicapping system, I'd say I'm a 5.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
Not joking at all. There's a cerebral and physical element in golf that I find appealing. Over the years I've only played a few rounds on par 3 courses but have had periods where I hit golf balls regularly. I think it would take me years to master golf. Whereas three months after taking up road riding, I could sprint at 41mph and keep up with friends who had been riding for years. Based on the golf handicapping system, I'd say I'm a 5.
I love watching golf, especially after a long, difficult ride, on the sofa, with my eyes shut.....
Old 09-16-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I've been on the "meh" train as well for a couple of years, but continue to ride. Although, I'm really only putting in around 2500-3000 miles a year. Just kind of bored with it. There are many times that I'd prefer to take a nap in the hammock instead. I think some different scenery and routes would probably help.

Texbike
Naps are awesome. Hammocks are great.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
also, the sport is also so damn expensive.
I love cycling because it is really not all that expensive. Yes, getting into the sport on a descent bike can cost some serious dollars, especially if you include accessories. That being said, my current stable includes 5 bikes and they are all older than 16 years of age. If I amortize my equipment cost over the years of ownership, that’s not a lot of money. Also, other than a sweet Jersey from Boure, my only other ytd bike expense occurred yesterday when I bought two new tubes.

I also buy replacement consumables on sale when I can and when possible from the Paceline Classifieds with a preference for NOS.

Unlike downhill skiing or golf, you don’t need to pay to play.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:48 PM

Eh, it ebs and flows, just go with it. In the Spring of '90 I was racing 2's in Colorado and tearing it up at 25 YO. Then I enlisted in the Army that summer so I could attend grad school the next year. Cycling took a back seat until 1999 when I blew out a knee skiing and started to cycle to rehab. That led to racing again from '00 to '06. Then another long break for 3 deployments. Retired from the Army in '10, rehabbed my brain from the wars and while I can no longer race I ride 4 times a week. Eb and flow man. Just go with it. It will come back.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Maybe not a religion, per say, but it's definitely spiritual for me.
Quote:
Cycling got bumped down from lifestyle status to hobby status. Been enjoying it ever since
I see stars sometimes on 'that' climb, does that count?

I think this is key..cycling is NOT my 'lifestyle'..it's just another leisure time activity. If it IS 'spiritual' to ride a bicycle, groovy, just not for me and others, it seems, from the responses here.

I am a reformed runner..wife called it 'running away' It was my lifestyle, I was a running evangelist(cycling evangelists anybody?)..the only way to describe it is as an addiction..some get there, cold turkey is hard for them..for the majority, it's firmly in the 'oh well, not today' arena.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
Eh, it ebs and flows, just go with it. In the Spring of '90 I was racing 2's in Colorado and tearing it up at 25 YO. Then I enlisted in the Army that summer so I could attend grad school the next year. Cycling took a back seat until 1999 when I blew out a knee skiing and started to cycle to rehab. That led to racing again from '00 to '06. Then another long break for 3 deployments. Retired from the Army in '10, rehabbed my brain from the wars and while I can no longer race I ride 4 times a week. Eb and flow man. Just go with it. It will come back.
Thanks for your service...
Old 09-17-2020, 02:02 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
Golf is an incredibly difficult sport to master, and I can't even begin to compare it to cycling excepting that you can get some nice scenery. Especially if you are someone used to excelling, golf can be absolutely maddening, each round typically containing at least one well-struck ball that "will bring you back", in conjunction with a number of incidents that will make you question your sanity.

I wish you good experiences if you decide to take it up. My advice is the same as the classic answer to "how do you get to Carnegie Hall?" Especially your short game.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:13 PM

I used to race almost every weekend for ten years then every other week, then once a month, then one or two a year. Now I use my bike mostley jsut for commuting. If the pandemic didn't hit I would get in shape for cyclocross but there is no point this year.

It happens. Just don't worry about it. One day you will either get back on the bike... Or not. No biggie. But I do like the 'excuse' of commuting. THe far majority of my cycling has been training. And so if I don't race any more whats the point? I could get a motorcycle to enjoy the scenery. But commuting is great and I would much rather ride ten miles to work then drive. It helps you wake up and it still provides some fitness.

The other thing that might help is having different bikes. If all you ever do is road ride then think about trying MTB. It's so different it's like a whole new thing and novelty is always good (except if it's a virus )
Old 09-17-2020, 02:22 PM

As you can tell, the wax/wane of interest and motivation is pretty common.

Back in the day when I raced, every ride became a training ride and eventually that became no fun. When I felt like a had to be out there instead of wanting to be out there... I was done for a while.

Now I find that having a fun goal is a great way to motivate. A few years ago it was the SB Century. A few years before that it was going to Italy to ride up Stelvio and Gavia.

Now I'm scheming to hook up with my brother (a relatively recent convert) to attack some epic soCal climbs. He's super into it and I want to spend time with him.

Like others said, maybe what tool you use helps too. I have always loved bikes, so there is joy in petting my croutons and for me that helps get me riding. Lately I am in love with tooling around town on my restored steel classic.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
As you can tell, the wax/wane of interest and motivation is pretty common.

Back in the day when I raced, every ride became a training ride and eventually that became no fun. When I felt like a had to be out there instead of wanting to be out there... I was done for a while.

Now I find that having a fun goal is a great way to motivate...
Similar story--After I quit racing, I found it hard to enjoy riding my bike--it was either 'not going fast enough' or missing the previous levels of fitness. or going harder than my current condition made comfortable...

So we took up hiking--and blitzed while hiking too.

It took a long time for me to come back to cycling with a different attitude--have fun on your bike.

Now I go a lot slower, and try to enjoy my rides-I gawk at scenery, take stops for ice cream if I'm on a long ride and have not had a computer near my bike.

I don't poke, and I have been trying to maintain some fitness but I think you need to find enjoyment rather than duty. I even started going for late afternoon zips around the nabe in sneakers and street clothes--like we all did as teenagers, to make it less of a 'thing'...
Old 09-17-2020, 04:34 PM

You can also just quit riding until you start getting old, then start riding again, and suddenly realize that damn, you don't have many years left to ride. I mean I'm 75 and fully aware of the speed with which the riding window, and a lot of others, is closing. I've always felt that there's nothing better than competition to ruin one's enjoyment of a sport. Then again I've never raced so can't speak from experience but that's what I've felt. Based on many of the comments on this thread, my suspicion seems to be validated.

But I also have to admit that I have an enormous advantage because of where I live. The palette of rides I have nearby is pretty amazing, and even after 26 years I still haven't come close to touching all of it. Plus even better is my fat-tired road bike, what I call my StonerBike, that has opened up even more incredible options. One huge reason I ride is because the bike takes me into wonderful places I'd never see otherwise.

You might also just try my recipe, bowl and roll. Been doing that for, what, more than 50 years. Doesn't make me any faster but I sure do love the buzz I come back with after the ride. Probably heavily frowned upon by most roadies of course.

I've also been told that there are lots of people who are perfectly happy not riding a bike. Seems bizarre but apparently such is the case.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2020, 04:53 PM

zwift saved it for me, got a good deal on a Neo2t before covid. I just leave my bike on the trainer so there's minimal setup to get a ride in.
The group workouts and multi day group rides/races are fun IMO.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Golf is an incredibly difficult sport to master, and I can't even begin to compare it to cycling excepting that you can get some nice scenery. Especially if you are someone used to excelling, golf can be absolutely maddening, each round typically containing at least one well-struck ball that "will bring you back", in conjunction with a number of incidents that will make you question your sanity.
after riding regularly for 25 years, I gave up riding to devote my spare time to learning to play golf...gave it several years and finally worked my way to a legitimate 81 (every stroke counted, no mulligans, etc.) on a moderately difficult course. thought I had gotten the hang of things...

on the very next outing, I scored a 99 on a ridiculously easy course and didn't even sink every putt...took a bunch of gimmees. pretty sure there was some do-over tee shots too...

went out a week later and was standing on a tee box waiting to hit when 3 guys on road bikes went by at speed. I knew I would much rather be with them than sweeping a little ball around a pasture. finished the round and never touched my clubs again.

my best advice on golf...don't try to self-teach. find a good instructor and avoid learning a bunch of bad habits.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:53 PM
The bass playing cyclist

After, oh my gosh, fifty years of enduring the constant irritation of golfing, I finally gave up. Golf won. Comparing cycling to golfing-it would be like if every time you went out to ride your bike, every three crank rotations your foot would slip off the pedal and you wouldn't be able to figure out why. Then a hand would randomly slide off the bars and you wouldn't know why. Then you'd steer left and the bike would go right. After every ride you'd throw your bike in a corner in disgust trying to figure out why you keep taking the abuse. At least that's the way golf was for me, and I still played for fifty years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
after riding regularly for 25 years, I gave up riding to devote my spare time to learning to play golf...gave it several years and finally worked my way to a legitimate 81 (every stroke counted, no mulligans, etc.) on a moderately difficult course. thought I had gotten the hang of things...

on the very next outing, I scored a 99 on a ridiculously easy course and didn't even sink every putt...took a bunch of gimmees. pretty sure there was some do-over tee shots too...

went out a week later and was standing on a tee box waiting to hit when 3 guys on road bikes went by at speed. I knew I would much rather be with them than sweeping a little ball around a pasture. finished the round and never touched my clubs again.

my best advice on golf...don't try to self-teach. find a good instructor and avoid learning a bunch of bad habits.