Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
All I'll say is that's an impressive price it's listed for...especially with the slammed stem!*

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ke-2016-59-5cm

* inside joke in these parts..
Didn´t you guys just bought this bike?
Old 09-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Didn´t you guys just bought this bike?
haha...I love the "you guys" part of this sentence. Yes, Clean bought it and subsequently sold to me. I had no plans to sell, yet on a whim (after seeing one of their ads....so their advertising worked once!) I submitted two pictures and TPC came back within 12hrs with an offer I couldn't refuse (and allowed me to buy the Factor O2 I'm building) and frankly wouldn't have felt comfortable selling it for here since it had already changed hands so recently.

Also agree on the "made in China" own line of bikes. Look at Merlin, Ribble, etc....they're all doing it and I'm assuming doing relatively well. What's to stop TPC from becoming the dominant US e-tailer and displacing (or rolling up) Nashbar, what's left of Performance, etc??
Old 09-17-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
......if I paid $5k for that bike and found that upon arrival I'd be seriously pissed and asking for a refund.
Refunds are now for store credit only, unless purchased through eBay, where you have more protection as a buyer.

This is my main frustration with them - they are managing a high volume of sales and seem to miss quite a few condition and measurement details that I would consider critical to appropriately valuing and considering a used bike purchase.

But I am in general not their target demographic for complete bikes or framesets, unless somehow they significantly underprice something on accident, as has happened in the past.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
haha...I love the "you guys" part of this sentence. Yes, Clean bought it and subsequently sold to me. I had no plans to sell, yet on a whim (after seeing one of their ads....so their advertising worked once!) I submitted two pictures and TPC came back within 12hrs with an offer I couldn't refuse (and allowed me to buy the Factor O2 I'm building) and frankly wouldn't have felt comfortable selling it for here since it had already changed hands so recently.

Also agree on the "made in China" own line of bikes. Look at Merlin, Ribble, etc....they're all doing it and I'm assuming doing relatively well. What's to stop TPC from becoming the dominant US e-tailer and displacing (or rolling up) Nashbar, what's left of Performance, etc??

That Pina is a hot selling bike on line w/ guys jumping to get one. Pros closet must rate the dogma line on the top of their "buy it" list.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
That Pina is a hot selling bike on line w/ guys jumping to get one. Pros closet must rate the dogma line on the top of their "buy it" list.
Yep, that is the only rationale I can think of....plus it has a virtually new groupset and really nice set of wheels that most aren’t going to get with their standard LBS build.

That K8-S is a killer bike....was way better than I expected.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Watching the TdF..ad-free hasn't started so watching the 'pre game' with VanderVelde, Horner and some 'civilian' bean bag..2 Pro's Closet banners on either side of their podium plus ads...I guess so, that can't be cheap.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I assume this spike in bike sales is all about limited recreational things to do with families due to Covid. Is it safe to assume that this spike will increase or even remain at the same level for the next 12 months? I'm not sure about that?

I trust bike shops and others in the industry will be prudent, especially if it involves debt.
Initially there was an enormous supply issue because of the pandemic. Many basic things like tires, pumps and kickstands were on backorder for months.