Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2020, 01:30 PM

3 Flats in two weeks but even weirder then that...

It's just bizarro and I cannot figure it out. I have gotten 3 flats in the last two weeks which is not terribly unusual and I often refer to myself as the King of Flats. But these three were different. Two of which coincidentally happened within about 25 meters of each other along my 16km commute. But that's insignificant.

So I'm just riding along on nice smooth pavement when Pfffffttttttt. You know the sound. And the sound whirrs around and round as the puncture goes around and then..... It magically just stopped??????

The first time it happened I pulled the tube and it had several patches on it so I figured maybe the leak was at one of the patches and that as it was going round the patch forced itself up against the tire or the rim tape and just held.

So I put a brand new tube in and it happened again. This time I have no excuse as to why this is happening and chalk it up to being just plain weird.

Now it happened this morning again. I'm at a total loss. I mean I am grateful that I was at least able to ride home or finish my ride to work on a low pressure tire but this is just the oddest thing.

And no I am not using a sealant like Stans though that's exactly what it feels like when Stans fixes a flat in motion.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:38 PM

Probably a tiny strand of cable or a shard of glass embedded in the tire. They can be hard to find and very frustrating. Look very carefully for something poking through.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:48 PM
Tired Member

Run your thumb along the inside of the tire to make sure that you've got everything out of the tire.

Also, inspect the bed of the rim along the spoke holes for any roughness as well as the bead seat. Look at it, but also use your thumb.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:55 PM

I will do that for sure but have you ever had a flat that only half deflates? That's what I find so odd and in happens 3 times in a row.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I will do that for sure but have you ever had a flat that only half deflates? That's what I find so odd and in happens 3 times in a row.
The leak rate changes as the pressure goes down. I vote for tiny piece of wire embedded in the tread. Run your hand inside the tire in one direction then reverse. Sometimes it's a really thin piece that lays down in one direction but not the other.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:19 PM

I'd also inspect the rim tape really carefully.

About the only time I ever had a wheel that was behaving badly like yours it was a sharp edge on a plastic rim strip. Didn't feel very sharp but under pressure it was enough.

To a certain degree "I never get flats" vs "I seem to be prone to flats" is just preparation of the wheel & tire.

I flat maybe once every 5k miles if that. I've had plenty of tires I wore out without ever getting a flat, and it's not like I'm 120lbs or stay on smooth stuff. I'm not gentle on rims at all.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Yes, I have had this. A slow puncture that slows down air loss after the initial 'ppppssssst' sound. The less pressure in a tube, the less air is forced out, so what was a 70psi tube might end up at 30-40psi and I can just ride home on it and maybe pull over a couple of times for a quick blast of air. I then just patch the tube when I am home
Old 09-11-2020, 03:00 PM

I've had this happen a number of times where there is tiny piece of wire embedded in the tire. They can be really hard to find and even harder to pull out. As suggested by others, you can carefully trace the inside of the tire with a finger to locate the culprit or I often use a bright LED light. I also carry tweezers in saddle bag to extract the wire once located. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2020, 03:53 PM

I vote michelin wire too (tiny wire shards from destroyed steel belted car tires.)

Dragging a cotton ball along the inside of the tire usually finds it.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:58 PM

This. A few weekends ago I had 3 flats same day.

Thank goodness for Uber to get me home...

Upon forensic tire inspection that took awhile, there was a tiny tiny strand of wire that was poking through just enough to penetrate the tube upon a certain amount of tire compression.

Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
The leak rate changes as the pressure goes down. I vote for tiny piece of wire embedded in the tread. Run your hand inside the tire in one direction then reverse. Sometimes it's a really thin piece that lays down in one direction but not the other.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I vote michelin wire too (tiny wire shards from destroyed steel belted car tires.)

Yep
Old 09-11-2020, 04:04 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:

DO NOT drag a thumb or finger along the inside of the tire - you may find the shard or the wire and as an added bonus slice your thumb or finger open.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:09 PM

If you haven't, align your tire label to the valve stem.

That way, when you get a flat, if you know where it is on the tube, you'll know roughly where to check on the tire.

I would change the tire as i suspect a short piece of wire also. If that solves it you can them look for the wire in the old tire.

Quote:

Now I need to add a cotton ball to my tool pouch.