Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Fire timelapse

Yeah, the real issue was the windstorm. It's a good thing they didn't last another day or two.

I put together a timelapse of the fire spreading, it is pretty crazy how fast it moves. It also looks like it is more or less under control now, or at least not spreading towards major population centers anymore.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:12 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
sorry for the thread drift but, no way! I grew up 20 miles south - Mansfield PA, and was always in Elmira once I got my drivers license since the drinking age was 18 in NY vs 21 in PA. Beautiful country, sometimes when I see old friends post photos from the region on FB I think, I could live there. But then I remember the politics, the lack of decent grocery stores, restaurants, coffee, the winters, the odd remants of hurricanes and tropical storms, the distance to the coast, the mosquitoes, the ticks and think, nah.

These fires notwithstanding, I think the wet side of the Cascades will continue to be one of the more habitable regions (from an environmental perspective) in the decades to come. I do worry that the political unrest will get worse (not much of an issue back in the Northern Tier of PA - it's so red and everyone is well armed ...). I fear other parts of the West, particularly the southwest and dry interior West, may become very challenging places for humans to live.
I used to bike to Pennsylvania from Elmira. Yeah there are some things to love about Western NY and things which could be much better. I would miss the Portland restaurants for sure but Portland has become over crowded and over run. At this point I think with retail dying all that will be left is restaurants, bars and coffee shops. There is so much wealth now and lot of poverty and homelessness. It was never intended to fit so many people. As I have gotten older I think some of my priorities have changed.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab123 View Post
I’m retired and live in the tiny town of Sisters (after living in Bend for several years). Most places in the US seem inexpensive compared to the West Coast! My friends in the Midwest are always shocked at home prices here. But I love this area too much to leave in the foreseeable future . . .
That's a gorgeous area, great place to be. We loved it when we passed thru in '16. Hope you're safe.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:40 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Thread Update

Downgrades occurring from level 3 to 2 and 2 to one.

Like a ten ton weight came off, we just went to 'get set' from 'get outta dodge'.

We are under a mile into the previous level 3 from west edge. So a 30 second car ride and we would be in level 2. Now, we are level 2 and then some. Huge sigh of relief, pray trend does not reverse...
Old 09-13-2020, 09:53 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Downgrades occurring from level 3 to 2 and 2 to one.

Like a ten ton weight came off, we just went to 'get set' from 'get outta dodge'.

We are under a mile into the previous level 3 from west edge. So a 30 second car ride and we would be in level 2. Now, we are level 2 and then some. Huge sigh of relief, pray trend does not reverse...
Good news! It may rain tomorrow evening inshallah.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:45 PM

high pressure system

Plus aren't they forecasting the high pressure system aloft to break up. This would let the smoke travel up versus just lingering near the ground. Praying for rain over here in Bend too.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:14 AM

Here is a cool YouTube channel of a young guy studying meteorology. I highly recommend taking a look.

https://youtu.be/G70tcosvFlM

Last edited by joosttx; 09-14-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:34 AM

Photos I saw of the Willamette River today were crazy... Just a wall of haze. Really hoping that smoke will clear out soon.

Didn’t oxygen bars become a trend at some point in the past 10-20 years?... I assume they fizzled out like the terrible idea they are. But right now I bet it’d be a literal breath of fresh air to have access to something like that in the PNW. I have friends there that are driving multiple hours just to be outside and not feel suffocated. Not a pleasant thought.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Here is a cool YouTube channel of a young guy studying metrology. I highly recommend taking a look.

https://youtu.be/G70tcosvFlM
I rarely click on posted youtube links... but this one was very much worth the watch. I really appreciate his enthusiasm for gathering facts and sharing his analysis.

And to state the obvious, wildland firefighters are true heroes.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Photos I saw of the Willamette River today were crazy... Just a wall of haze. Really hoping that smoke will clear out soon.

Didn’t oxygen bars become a trend at some point in the past 10-20 years?... I assume they fizzled out like the terrible idea they are. But right now I bet it’d be a literal breath of fresh air to have access to something like that in the PNW. I have friends there that are driving multiple hours just to be outside and not feel suffocated. Not a pleasant thought.
Around 10a Sunday 9/13:

Vs. 7p on 9/8:

Last edited by Clean39T; 09-14-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:33 AM

Looking across to Ross Island. It’s behind the smoke somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A30D163C-2A4F-45DD-9D1F-B6E950930B3F.jpg (47.2 KB, 144 views)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:13 PM

We're entering our eighth day of air quality lockdown in Corvallis. The air is a little better this morning, it's just rated as "unhealthy." We tried a short walk one morning last week in similar conditions. It turned out to not be a good idea. Except for a few short trips for groceries (and beer,) we've pretty much been house bound.
I'm supposed to drive to Bend tomorrow to get fit for some cycling insoles, but looking at their AQI and the route that takes me through an evacuation zone, I think I'll have to reschedule.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:28 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

AQI station near me approx 17 miles SE of downtown Portland is reporting 238. That is actually pretty good. Still using a respirator for more than a 1-3 minute trip outside to shop or neighbors etc...

Yesterday and today visibility to the eye is especially low, but thankfully 1/2 that is fog/mist/humidity and rest smoke. My car both mornings showed a lot of dew/condensation. Not seen this for quite a few days... this is a good trend.

So for mist you need wet, bring that on!!!
Old 09-14-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I'm supposed to drive to Bend tomorrow to get fit for some cycling insoles, but looking at their AQI and the route that takes me through an evacuation zone, I think I'll have to reschedule.
I'd cancel. Scott isn't going anywhere and he can get you taken care of anytime. Is rt 20 or 22 even open yet?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
We're entering our eighth day of air quality lockdown in Corvallis. The air is a little better this morning, it's just rated as "unhealthy." We tried a short walk one morning last week in similar conditions. It turned out to not be a good idea. Except for a few short trips for groceries (and beer,) we've pretty much been house bound.
For future reference......who does the insole fitting? I'll put it on my to-do list for late October