Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Vendor

A friend has the Kuat and it's solid. Right now I've got a two tray Thule roof rack. Next summer I'd like to be able to carry two more bikes and it seems the hitch rack is the way to go for ease of loading/unloading. I forgot about 1Up. They're nice, but also pricey. Another friend has the Holdup and thinks that offers the best value.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I looked at the kuat at REI, but it was much heavier. I can easily move the 4 bike 1up from my truck to our SUV for trips. The 4-bike Kuat I'd likely hurt myself. It did seem solid though.
Kuat just started selling a one-bike add-on, so you can use it to transport a total of 3 bikes. I wish this was an option earlier. For me, 3-bikes is the magic number, and rarely do I need to transport 4 bikes at once.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Big fan of the 1up...

Heavy, but solid and so easy to use.

We have the double tray, and two extra single trays for versatility!

Big ups for 1up...only downside is weight, price, and having to explain it to those enamored with the simplicity of the rack at trailheads / parking lots!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:45 PM
I need you cool.

I've have a Thule T2 (classic) for 10+ years....heavy, but is solid and works great. I had a 2 bike extension, but never used it...sold it to a forum member hear a couple years ago.

All the racks you mention are solid and well made...you probably won't go wrong with any of them. Get the one that has the features you want, best price, and looks coolest on your vehicle.

I was checking out a new Thule hitch I saw that looks like it is trying to mimic the 1Up. Check out the Thule Helium rack....it looks pretty nice, but I think it has only a 2 bike option.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:53 PM
v a n i l l a

I also have a 2" Thule T2 from 10+ years ago acquired just after they bought Sportworks and made some modest changes, like adding a lock to the arms.

Back then, Yakima was not a consideration. As a person who once owned the gold bar roof rack, I was very disappointed to not be able to support them.

The T2 is a solid unit. It is heavy, but I roll it from the driveway to the garage wall on a furniture dolly. The weight isnt unmanageable, but I dont need to swing it into my washing machine when I am tired from a long day.

That said, IMHO the Kuat NV2.0 is the rack to buy.

The 1up I will consider for single bike carrying. Love the light weight but it is not without issues
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ack-55043.html.
Other than the weight, what is the advantage?

None (IMHO) when compared to the CS of Kuat and the little features they built in.

So 20 years ago I bought a suburban and 15 years ago I bought a Thule. If I have a do over its a Sprinter and a Kuat NV 2.0
Old 09-09-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I also have a 2" Thule T2 from 10+ years ago acquired just after they bought Sportworks and made some modest changes, like adding a lock to the arms.

Back then, Yakima was not a consideration. As a person who once owned the gold bar roof rack, I was very disappointed to not be able to support them.

The T2 is a solid unit. It is heavy, but I roll it from the driveway to the garage wall on a furniture dolly. The weight isnt unmanageable, but I dont need to swing it into my washing machine when I am tired from a long day.

That said, IMHO the Kuat NV2.0 is the rack to buy.

The 1up I will consider for single bike carrying. Love the light weight but it is not without issues
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ack-55043.html.
Other than the weight, what is the advantage?

None (IMHO) when compared to the CS of Kuat and the little features they built in.

So 20 years ago I bought a suburban and 15 years ago I bought a Thule. If I have a do over its a Sprinter and a Kuat NV 2.0
I'm with you on this though I have no hate for Yakima.

I think people (read enthusiasts) like 1UP because it has a very minimal and industrial design to it that mates well with cool custom bikes. And their neighbor doesn't have one.

They all work fine IMO but things start to stand out if you use them more frequently than a lot of folks do. Weight is certainly a consideration for some and not so much for others.

They all hold 20lb bikes without much problem and often the problems with racks are user error not poor design.

People buy cool cars and cool bikes and want a cool rack to put cool bikes on the cool car.

Cool.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:42 PM

I'd look at either RockyMounts or 1UP.

There is a RockyMounts rack that has a 180* swing away function that's really cool. They also have an internal mechanism to prevent wobble.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:49 PM

I have the Yakima holdup, with extension for 4 bikes. Had it for 4 years or so. Works great. Hold 4 bikes!

Bought it cause it was the cheapest and thought it would be reliable enough. It is.

Not flashy, maybe not the "best" but definitely has provided value for me.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:51 PM

Am I the only one on here who likes to put his rack away in garage corner when not in use? Not take up much space? That's a big deal to me....and I have a well organized 3 car garage. Racks that fold up to small packages go to the top of my list.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Administrator

kuat looooooove.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Am I the only one on here who likes to put his rack away in garage corner when not in use? Not take up much space? That's a big deal to me....and I have a well organized 3 car garage. Racks that fold up to small packages go to the top of my list.
I don't have a garage.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
not me. during riding season here, i'm on the road with my bike at least once a week, so the rack just lives on my jeep unless i need to tow something and would need the hitch free, or we're going away as a family and i put the rack on our honda odyssey.

i take it off for the winter though, i wouldnt want to subject it to road salt, but we know you dont have that concern Ralph!
Old 09-09-2020, 07:59 PM
Administrator

One thing i do find a little funny/impractical is that all of these racks are made to look rather "stealth" with dark colors or even matte black - i'd rather the rack stick out visually - less chance of getting rear ended that way. i already added a band of reflective tape to mine for better night stick outability.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:07 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
One thing i do find a little funny/impractical is that all of these racks are made to look rather "stealth" with dark colors or even matte black - i'd rather the rack stick out visually - less chance of getting rear ended that way. i already added a band of reflective tape to mine for better night stick outability.
I have a Sherpa 2.0. LOTS lighter than the Thule T2 that preceded it.

I stuck some red/silver 'trailer tape' on mine so when it's folded up I've got this huge reflective stripe across the rear of my vehicle.

Mine lives on the car/truck, so no worries about storage

M
Old 09-09-2020, 08:09 PM

I have reflective duct tape all over mine.