Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2020, 01:39 PM
Vendor

4-bike hitch racks: Kuat vs Thule vs Yakima

I'm thinking about getting a 2-bike hitch rack that has the capacity to expand to 4 bikes. Does anyone have any experience with the Kuat NV 2.0, Thule T2 XT Pro, and Yakima Holdup? I really like all the metal used in the Kuat, but it's also the most expensive.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:49 PM

The 1Up Rack needs to be on the comparison list. Not cheap, but MUSA, and super easy to operate.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:54 PM

I have a 1UP and it is really nice. I can't offer advice on the Yakima or Thule but my buddy has the Kuat and man, it is uber nice. In fact, I'd probably get it over the 1UP if I was buying today. The Kuat has magnetic cable locks built in for each bike and an integrated work stand. It weighs a lot according to my buddy, but I'd imagine they all do. My experience with Thule is they use way too much plastic and here in AZ it has a tendency to crack quickly, not sure if they upped their game.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Riding Along

Add Hollywood Racks to your list. American Company and racks made in Taiwan. Great quality and good price. have many many miles on my 4 bike hitch rack from them.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:06 PM
Administrator

i just bought the Kuat and it's a steller rack with great customer support.

it's the only one that come with the brilliant built in repair stand, which i think is super handy when on the road.

most racks are sold out right now too by the way, so it may not be easy to track one down if you need it now.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:14 PM

Kuat NV 2.0 - had one for a few years and did break a tray on a really dodgy road up in the UP of MI when I hit a hole at maybe 30 mph. Kuat asked for a photo and send me a replacement part next day no questions asked. Great service.

If you are someone who uses their rack with heavier MTBs on jeep trails, I'd probably look at a tray system that doesn't bolt to a central spine like the Kuat and probably go with a rack that hangs bikes like a Lolo Rack.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:16 PM

4-bike hitch racks: Kuat vs Thule vs Yakima

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
The 1Up Rack needs to be on the comparison list. Not cheap, but MUSA, and super easy to operate.

Second.

1UP makes a sturdy no-nonsense rack. You can expand from 2-4 trays. Compatible with a variety of tire diameters and widths. Has some nice accessories too.

Instagram
Old 09-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Kuat

I love my Kuat and customer support is great. (have a post coming about this, along with Castelli).

Only issue i have, with the 4 bike rack installed, my wife has a very difficult time putting the rack up and down, so if we leave it on (her car has the 2" hitch") its a pain in the butt for her, so we usually take it off when not in use.

Its heavy, so from a transport standpoint its amazing, works great, keeps things nice and tight, no bike issues and customer support is great. They sent me a few kids bike adapters for free after we purchased the rack and it works from everything from 20" to my MTB with no issues... packed my Salsa Warbird TI, Wifes old school aluminum stumpjumper HT, sons Yeti FS and daughters Spec. Hot Rock recently for a trip and did outstanding... thats a lot of weight on the back...
Old 09-09-2020, 02:28 PM

I have the Thule T2 XT Pro and have used it for several 500+ mile road trips with no issues whatsoever. Easy to use. Solid.

A friend told me the current delivery time for the 1UP is several months.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM

Another NV 2.0 person here. Very solid, feels like it's part of the vehicle. It is heavy and requires some effort to install, but all the features are great. It folds flat but also folds downward 45 degrees so you can open a hatchback on a wagon or SUV without removing bikes. The built in locks and work stand are a bonus. Great customer service too.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:34 PM
n - 1

I have a Kuat NV and a friend has the Thule T2. Kuat performs great. Built in stand is nice, as well as the integrated cable lock. Also, the “anti-rock/sway” cinch bolt for the hitch receiver works great. Take those three things into account when comparing prices.
The cable lock broke and they sent out the replacement right away. Great service.

Thule is nice but it is much heavier.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Since they all seem to work well and have their followers.....to me the deciding factor when I bought my 3 bike set up was weight, ease of folding, and how much space they took up in my garage when not in use. That's why I choose the 1UP. The 2 bike part weighs 48 lbs, and the addition much less. Both fold neatly in the garage corner when not in use....in the heavy duty boxes they came in. And the KUAT is a very nice rack.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I'm thinking about getting a 2-bike hitch rack that has the capacity to expand to 4 bikes. Does anyone have any experience with the Kuat NV 2.0, Thule T2 XT Pro, and Yakima Holdup? I really like all the metal used in the Kuat, but it's also the most expensive.
I love my Kuat NV 2.0.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I love my Kuat NV 2.0.
using yours and the repair stand is what convinced me to go buy one!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:18 PM

I went with 1up

I looked at the kuat at REI, but it was much heavier. I can easily move the 4 bike 1up from my truck to our SUV for trips. The 4-bike Kuat I'd likely hurt myself. It did seem solid though.