Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
Might want to check your math on that one...

It´s still not good.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
100 miles a week. 26 weeks= 6years. It´s not good.
100 miles a week x 52 weeks in a year (assuming one can ride year-round) = 5,200 miles/year. 26k/5,200 = 5 years.

That’s not a lot of mileage/time in my book. Because I have multiple bikes, I don’t put that kind of mileage on any single one of them, but I wouldn’t expect any of the non-production frames failing like that after 26k miles, regardless of the material (carbon, steel, titanium).

I would expect a well-built titanium frame to last the longest of any material. The problem is, a titanium penny farthing is still a penny farthing... In 50 year’s time, it probably won’t be possible to buy a bicycle without a motor, etc.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
100 miles a week x 52 weeks in a year (assuming one can ride year-round) = 5,200 miles/year. 26k/5,200 = 5 years.

That’s not a lot of mileage/time in my book. Because I have multiple bikes, I don’t put that kind of mileage on any single one of them, but I wouldn’t expect any of the non-production frames failing like that after 26k miles, regardless of the material (carbon, steel, titanium).

I would expect a well-built titanium frame to last the longest of any material. The problem is, a titanium penny farthing is still a penny farthing... In 50 year’s time, it probably won’t be possible to buy a bicycle without a motor, etc.
Yeah, miles are always relative. My bike has over 20K miles and people say it looks amazing and brand new. That is not because I baby the bike but really because it has barely been used! It is 21 years old and yes, has about only 1000 mies per year.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:35 AM

I need to rephrase because I wasn’t trying to kick the retrogrouch hornets nest or incite a materials war as well designed bikes seeing normal use should indeed last long.

At what point do you feel you have gotten your money’s worth from a frame?

For reference, in recent years I have had anywhere from 5 - 8 bikes in my stable, so at my circa 10k km/yr pace, it takes a while to get to big numbers. More often than not my bikes get sold before reach 20k. Not because they are worn, but because bikes are cool and fascinating and its fun to build up new ones.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57 AM

C59 Cracked BB

Quote:

What makes you think everyone is going to be on e-bikes 50 years from now? The penny farthing analogy doesn’t compute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Yeah, miles are always relative. My bike has over 20K miles and people say it looks amazing and brand new. That is not because I baby the bike but really because it has barely been used! It is 21 years old and yes, has about only 1000 mies per year.
Why would it matter that you put 20k miles on a bike over 20 years rather than 2? If you treat it the same and it gets ridden in the same conditions, I’d say a bike would look older after 20 years than 2. Paint fades, carbon resin/clear coat yellows, etc.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
What makes you think everyone is going to be on e-bikes 50 years from now? The penny farthing analogy doesn’t compute.

Why would it matter that you put 20k miles on a bike over 20 years rather than 2? If you treat it the same and it gets ridden in the same conditions, I’d say a bike would look older after 20 years than 2. Paint fades, carbon resin/clear coat yellows, etc.
My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Bikes with caliper brakes and 130 spacing that take 23mm tires are now somehow considered obsolete. And disc road bikes with anything other than thru-axles and flat-mount brakes are pretty much obsolete, too (the penny farthings of the 21st century). The eBike comment was playing off of the Wall-e-fication of society...
Old 09-04-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Bikes with caliper brakes and 130 spacing that take 23mm tires are now somehow considered obsolete. And disc road bikes with anything other than thru-axles and flat-mount brakes are pretty much obsolete, too (the penny farthings of the 21st century). The eBike comment was playing off of the Wall-e-fication of society...
I think you're broadly correct, even without technological obsolescence. About 6 years ago, I bought a titanium bike because I thought titanium was cool and would last forever. I put about 15k miles on it and sold it because I wanted to ride something new.

Now my main ride is a carbon frame I built myself. It's got 15k miles on it. I love it, and it's still going strong, but if I had to retire it tomorrow, I wouldn't mind because I have the itch to ride something new.

I ride about 7500 miles/year and have several bikes, but it seems like 15k miles is about the point where I consider the bike fully depreciated in my mind.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
In 50 year’s time, it probably won’t be possible to buy a bicycle without a motor, etc.
In 50 year's time I won't be able to ride a bicycle without a motor.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-04-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I think you're broadly correct, even without technological obsolescence. About 6 years ago, I bought a titanium bike because I thought titanium was cool and would last forever. I put about 15k miles on it and sold it because I wanted to ride something new.

Now my main ride is a carbon frame I built myself. It's got 15k miles on it. I love it, and it's still going strong, but if I had to retire it tomorrow, I wouldn't mind because I have the itch to ride something new.
Do you make carbon frames as a business, or just for yourself/hobby?
Old 09-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Do you make carbon frames as a business, or just for yourself/hobby?
Right now it's just a hobby, building frames for me, my wife, and some friends.

For my day job, I'm an economist, so it's easy to see that with my current frame-building process and proficiency, it wouldn't be economical for me to do it as a business.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Right now it's just a hobby, building frames for me, my wife, and some friends.

For my day job, I'm an economist, so it's easy to see that with my current frame-building process and proficiency, it wouldn't be economical for me to do it as a business.
I think Adam Smith specifically cited frame building in Wealth of Nations.

He wrote: "You cannot build one frame efficiently. You cannot build 100 frames efficiently. The French cannot build frames efficiently. The Italians, the English, the Americans. No. Leave frame building to Taiwan or China. Or look at it as a labor of love (note to self - in next book distinguish between hobby and business)"
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 09-04-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I think Adam Smith specifically cited frame building in Wealth of Nations.

He wrote: "You cannot build one frame efficiently. You cannot build 100 frames efficiently. The French cannot build frames efficiently. The Italians, the English, the Americans. No. Leave frame building to Taiwan or China. Or look at it as a labor of love (note to self - in next book distinguish between hobby and business)"
I thought it was Mark Twain.. or was it Karl Marx?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:58 PM

More cracks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titans View Post
Contacted Toby at Hottubes and he said repairable at around $400 and he does repainting too so I think I’m going to send it to him.
Toby at Hot Tubes found 3 more cracks on my C59 which I didn’t know about. One was at the seat tube/seat lug juncture, one on the drive side chain stay where it meets the rear dropout, and one where it meets the BB. So 5 all together and this was just from a visual inspection. Debating on repairing or wall art. Check your C59s!!!
Old 09-17-2020, 02:11 PM

Yikes!!!

Wow, 5 cracks? That's crazy. I think I'd make it wall art. Or trash. Not a good reflection on build quality. Who's to say you get it fixed and other areas don't crack? Think I'd get another frame and hang your parts on it.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by titans View Post
Toby at Hot Tubes found 3 more cracks on my C59 which I didn’t know about. One was at the seat tube/seat lug juncture, one on the drive side chain stay where it meets the rear dropout, and one where it meets the BB. So 5 all together and this was just from a visual inspection. Debating on repairing or wall art. Check your C59s!!!
just curious, how much do you weigh?