Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 04:23 PM

Lets talk travel bike cases

Never traveled with a bike in an airline but possibly going to Germany this year and would need something. I'd really like the convenience of one that allows me to keep the bars and seatpost in. Obviously that comes at a cost in both size and money. I'm sure some airlines will charge more by dimensional size.

I've been told that bike cases such as the Scicon soft case is super convenient, but many have told me horror stories of expensive damages from lack of robust protection.

Any suggestions for bike cases that have a balance between convenience and good protection without needing to take on a second mortgage to pay for it?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

The various models of cases available from https://triall3sports.com/cases-bike.php are pretty darn sweet.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:43 PM

I'll ditto your Scicon stories, United and dented, bent seatstay. I'm not inclined to solely blame Scicon, but you are right there are many similar stories suggesting they do not protect as well as other soft cases, certainly not as well as hard cases, or even a proper cardboard box for that matter. My brother, the victim, subsequently went with a purpose built cardboard box (I forget the maker).
Old 01-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Bike box alan is the best one I've ever used.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:44 PM
formerly Landshark_98

not sure this strikes the right balance for you, but super convenient, protective, and only requires a second mortgage: https://www.buxumbox.com/product/ventoux-box/

It's great if going one place where you can store it. I used it on trains and in car service going from Nice to Lake Como to Bormio and it was a bit of a chore even though it rolls extremely well on its wheels. Now I needed a really big one, which makes my box a few mm larger than the maximum on some trains (and probalby too big for some local and others). But if you want piece of mindand like nicely constructed things, this is the box. And if flew as a piece of checked luggage without any extra charges on BZritish Airways.

Having said all that, with more and more good rental options available in Europe, the idea of not schlepping a bike and box around is more and more attractive.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:37 PM

I have an old Trico Iron Case that has been from Austin to California at least a dozen times, to Spain three, Iraq twice, and most recently Austin to Phoenix.

It's a total workhorse.

On American sports gear is considered a regular checked bag as of this year.

.TRICO-TRAVELCASE-2T.jpg

Last edited by Hellgate; 01-21-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 PM

If you only intend to use it one, just get a box from your LBS. Free and fits the airline requirements.

If you'll be traveling often and want to purchase a case, I'd look for the most convenient one. If I were purchasing a road only case I'd get the new EVOC that doesn't require removing the bars.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:55 PM

Keeping the seatpost in is pretty limiting from a case option and size standpoint.

Cyclingtips has a piece few years back from an Adelaide baggage handler that soft bags were better than hard cases. Easier to move in the cargo hold, less likely to fall off conveyor belts, generally easier for security to repack after inspection.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

You don't even let a spec of dust fall on your bike. I seriously would not put it through a plane ride because it might as well get scratched up regardless of whatever case you put it on. If that is something that would bother you, maybe rent a bike in Germany?

Also, I would not rely on a case that you get to keep your bike intact, I too looked into one and too many horror stories. I seriously love my post cary, sure you have to take the fork off but if you protect the bike with some foam stuff, it will arrive just fine.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:22 AM

My one experience with flying to Europe (Norway) is that the airlines have different restrictions on bike cases than North America. Lighter weight and some will only accept hard sided cases.
My three go to cases are a Post Carry Transfer Case ( https://postcarry.co/ ), Thule RoundTrip Sport , and a Thule RoundTrip Transition

The Post Carry is great, but requires bike disassembly. The RoundTrip Transition is a beast of a case (40Lb) but offers great protection.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColiins View Post
My one experience with flying to Europe (Norway) is that the airlines have different restrictions on bike cases than North America. Lighter weight and some will only accept hard sided cases.
My three go to cases are a Post Carry Transfer Case ( https://postcarry.co/ ), Thule RoundTrip Sport , and a Thule RoundTrip Transition

The Post Carry is great, but requires bike disassembly. The RoundTrip Transition is a beast of a case (40Lb) but offers great protection.
I bought the Thule Roundtriop Transition when it first came out, and returned it. It's HUGE, and won't fit in many cars, especially with other luggage, just a warning. Other than that it was really nice.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:32 AM

Oh yeah, it's big. It was given to me and I've kept it mostly for the integrated stand. And it's easy to pack my 29+ Trek Stache.
Had to tie it to the roof of a small SUV last fall on a trip to Dominican Republic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 AM

Ok first: keep in mind that hauling a bike around is a serious pita. If you are travelling from place to place even more so. Not as bad if you are on your own where you can just throw whatever you need to in your own rental with no one else in it. But if you are with your family and they are NOT biking, dealing with that bad boy is going to create rifts. Trust me.

Two: lugging a bike around is pricey. Every flight will cost you more (potentially, you must check), every car must be big enough and or equipped to attach a bike or box somewhere

Three: you can never quite completely eliminate the chance of bike being damaged or worse...not arriving on time. If you go with a hard box...maybe but wow those hard boxes are very inconvenient to drag around.

Four: did I mention you will drive your family crazy?

Not to say don’t, I still do , but not if there are multiple legs or if we are moving to different spots or if I honestly can’t see more than 3 rides during the trip I talk myself out of it (usually by just rallying up the transport costs as justification).

If you are doing this just once, just pack in a cardboard bike box from your local bike store. Those things are made to transport new bikes. They are solid, require limited disssassembly and they are free. There is also room to pack some other stuff in there being careful not to exceed weight or size restrictions. Some bike boxes are larger than others FYI. They are a nuissance in the airport because they don’t have wheels but heck, Just find a small axle and wheels and duct tape it to the box on the fly if you really need something!

I have an evoc soft case which I have used on multiple occasions. It’s great AND it can fold up. I have also used ship bikes.com for US travel where I have used cardboard box from bike store. They work too but sometimes they take a beating during first trip and require...shoring up or replacement altogether for return trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 01:12 PM

I like riding my own bike when I travel vs renting. So if the trip involves at least a couple of days of riding, I’ll always bring my bike. With that said, I’ve travelled quite a bit with my bike and here are my thoughts on the few travel cases I’ve tried.

Trico cases or anything similar where you pack your bike like a sandwich. They suck. It’s heavy and when the TSA checks the bike they never put it back correctly.

Orucase – it’s nice that it packs down very small but you literally have to take apart the entire bike. When placing it in the bag, I was literally trying to push my 53cm frame in there to a point that it was uncomfortable. I ended up not using it. I can’t even imagine how it would be with bikes with disc brakes. I’m assuming

Thule Round Trip Pro XT – I really like this case. It opens from the top so it’s easier for TSA to check. The bike is secure and the bike stand comes in very handy. It also has rolling wheels. This would be my second choice.

Pika Packworks – This is hands down my favorite bike case/bag. It’s unassuming and can usually fly under the radar with airlines. It’s light and the bike packs easily and secure. Like the Thule Round Trip Pro XT it opens from the top so it’s easier for TSA to check. It’s also very, very light. The only thing is that it doesn’t have a wheel for rolling but it’s light enough for me to carry it around.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
If you only intend to use it one, just get a box from your LBS. Free and fits the airline requirements.

If you'll be traveling often and want to purchase a case, I'd look for the most convenient one. If I were purchasing a road only case I'd get the new EVOC that doesn't require removing the bars.
That looks pretty good and with any sort of sale or discount, its much more affordable than some of the top tier price points I've seen. A friend of mine just got one and is going to Spain with it this weekend. She said she would keep me updated with how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
You don't even let a spec of dust fall on your bike. I seriously would not put it through a plane ride because it might as well get scratched up regardless of whatever case you put it on. If that is something that would bother you, maybe rent a bike in Germany?

Also, I would not rely on a case that you get to keep your bike intact, I too looked into one and too many horror stories. I seriously love my post cary, sure you have to take the fork off but if you protect the bike with some foam stuff, it will arrive just fine.
Lol, Yeah I know. I see both sides, however I'd be going for a photoshoot and brand summit for Biehler Cycling and I'd certainly want my own bike for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Ok first: keep in mind that hauling a bike around is a serious pita. If you are travelling from place to place even more so. Not as bad if you are on your own where you can just throw whatever you need to in your own rental with no one else in it. But if you are with your family and they are NOT biking, dealing with that bad boy is going to create rifts. Trust me.

Two: lugging a bike around is pricey. Every flight will cost you more (potentially, you must check), every car must be big enough and or equipped to attach a bike or box somewhere

Three: you can never quite completely eliminate the chance of bike being damaged or worse...not arriving on time. If you go with a hard box...maybe but wow those hard boxes are very inconvenient to drag around.

Four: did I mention you will drive your family crazy?

Not to say don’t, I still do , but not if there are multiple legs or if we are moving to different spots or if I honestly can’t see more than 3 rides during the trip I talk myself out of it (usually by just rallying up the transport costs as justification).

If you are doing this just once, just pack in a cardboard bike box from your local bike store. Those things are made to transport new bikes. They are solid, require limited disssassembly and they are free. There is also room to pack some other stuff in there being careful not to exceed weight or size restrictions. Some bike boxes are larger than others FYI. They are a nuissance in the airport because they don’t have wheels but heck, Just find a small axle and wheels and duct tape it to the box on the fly if you really need something!

I have an evoc soft case which I have used on multiple occasions. It’s great AND it can fold up. I have also used ship bikes.com for US travel where I have used cardboard box from bike store. They work too but sometimes they take a beating during first trip and require...shoring up or replacement altogether for return trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All great points. If I end up doing this trip, it will be alone. Not with the family. It will be a brand summit and most likely photoshoots for the week, so having my own bike there would be highly desired. I dont travel with my bike. Have never gone on a plane with one. So paying the $600+ for any bike case is hard to justify. A friend of mine told me yesterday I could use his Thule Transition case as long as he isn't traveling. So that may be a route I go. I just dont like borrowing friends things in case something happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalrey View Post
I like riding my own bike when I travel vs renting. So if the trip involves at least a couple of days of riding, I’ll always bring my bike. With that said, I’ve travelled quite a bit with my bike and here are my thoughts on the few travel cases I’ve tried.

Trico cases or anything similar where you pack your bike like a sandwich. They suck. It’s heavy and when the TSA checks the bike they never put it back correctly.

Orucase – it’s nice that it packs down very small but you literally have to take apart the entire bike. When placing it in the bag, I was literally trying to push my 53cm frame in there to a point that it was uncomfortable. I ended up not using it. I can’t even imagine how it would be with bikes with disc brakes. I’m assuming

Thule Round Trip Pro XT – I really like this case. It opens from the top so it’s easier for TSA to check. The bike is secure and the bike stand comes in very handy. It also has rolling wheels. This would be my second choice.

Pika Packworks – This is hands down my favorite bike case/bag. It’s unassuming and can usually fly under the radar with airlines. It’s light and the bike packs easily and secure. Like the Thule Round Trip Pro XT it opens from the top so it’s easier for TSA to check. It’s also very, very light. The only thing is that it doesn’t have a wheel for rolling but it’s light enough for me to carry it around.
All great points. The Pika packworks bag looks like it requires you to take the bars off as well yeah? This trip would definitely require me to take my own bike, so having a proper bag that provides some reassurance would be great!