Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 10:56 PM

Downtube Cable Adjusters for a Parlee Z5

Putting together a Parlee z5 with downtube cable stops and I’m trying to figure out what, if any, cable adjusters work in these.

The stop is not threaded and the hole looks to only be the diameter of a cable-end. I thought I could use a small inline adjuster, but it wouldn’t fit. Photos I’ve found online of Z5’s show a typical black adjuster like this one:

But I’m only finding these that are designed for threaded holes. I could just leave off the adjusters and let the housing go directly into the stop. I have another bike set up that way without inline adjusters, but thought it might be convenient to set some up. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 AM

I’d contact Parlee and see what they say — their customer support in my experience has been excellent (even though both of my Parlees were purchased 2nd hand)

I think early on the Z series didn’t ship with cable stop adjusters, later on started including them
Old 09-19-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout2015 View Post
I’d contact Parlee and see what they say — their customer support in my experience has been excellent (even though both of my Parlees were purchased 2nd hand)

I think early on the Z series didn’t ship with cable stop adjusters, later on started including them

Good to know, thank you. I’ll give em a ring.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:32 AM

There are a number of cable adjusters designed to fit into cable stops. Here's a few:

Jagwire Mickey cable adjusters:

Jagwire Rocket II cable adjusters:

Ritchey Rocket cable adjusters:
Old 09-20-2020, 09:22 AM

Those adjusters could rest too hard on the frame and rub - I would just use a ferrule and put an in-line adjuster further up. Only needed for front derailleur as you have adjustment screw on rear. That's how I set up my Z4, which has the same stops.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:48 PM

Thanks both. I think I’ll run an in-line for the front derailleur only, as you suggest. Not sure why I didn’t think of that earlier. Glad I asked here.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:22 AM
v a n i l l a

My Z3c same situation. I used inline for FD and nothing for the RD since has a adj by definition

I have never had to adj my FD cable during a ride. So knowing that and your own experience you might even pass on the inline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2020, 01:22 PM

True. I’ve only needed a FD adjuster when getting set up for the first time. My other bike also has no adjusters aside from the RD one and setting up the FD was a minor pain because you have to trial and error the cable tension at the cable clamp.

In any case Parlee got back to me via email quickly and is sending a couple my way. Will report back about whether I use them or not.

Thanks all!