Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 12:33 PM

Performance sourced some really good cutters a couple of decades back, these have made thousands of cuts and still work like new.

The good thing is that, looking at the small details, it appears that these were and still are produced under various brand names.

I rank these way up there (with my Shimano chain breakers) as some of the very best bang-for-the-buck tools I've ever bought (or given, by Shimano's seminar staff).
Just the way that certain tools wildly exceed their expected service life!

Old 09-18-2020, 12:42 PM

No, never found any good use for my Dremel with those tiny exploding cut-off discs.
More a toy than a tool IMO.

This for me:
Old 09-18-2020, 01:34 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Performance sourced some really good cutters a couple of decades back, these have made thousands of cuts and still work like new.

The good thing is that, looking at the small details, it appears that these were and still are produced under various brand names.

I rank these way up there (with my Shimano chain breakers) as some of the very best bang-for-the-buck tools I've ever bought (or given, by Shimano's seminar staff).
Just the way that certain tools wildly exceed their expected service life!

I think those cutters are the same as Pedros’s, which I believe are German.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 17391A1E-A8DD-4629-8E9C-2C9B51403B0F.jpeg (59.2 KB, 138 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
I think those cutters are the same as Pedros’s, which I believe are German.
I see the identicalness, but the Pedros cutter curiously doesn't appear to have the semi-circular cutting edges that I think is a good feature.

Mine does also have the "knurled" latch-pivot pin head like the Pedros cutter, it has a P logo but country of origin must have been on the packaging only.

Last edited by dddd; 09-18-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkaiser View Post
Has anyone used the Pedro's cable cutter? I've used a few of their tools with much success and they're easier to come by than the Shimano CT10's.
I mispoke. My cable cutter is Jagwire not Pedro's. The yellow confused me.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
No, never found any good use for my Dremel with those tiny exploding cut-off discs.
More a toy than a tool IMO.

This for me:
The smaller discs are simply the wrong tool for the job.

Need to use the fibre reinforced discs, which cut through pretty much anything and last a long time.

My Dremel is an integral part of the toolset used to keep a large bike collection looking good and performing at its peak.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:13 PM

I have good luck with these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Felco.JPG (115.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 09-19-2020, 07:57 PM

After 35yrs+ of using cutters, now my rechargeble Dremel with cutoff wheel wins for me every time. Straight 90-deg cuts, quick awl insertion opens the liner, no need for dressing ends with a file or grinder.

The amount of time saved every single build is considerable, and my bikes shift/brake just as smooth as when I used cutters. Better, actually, but that's mainly due to better modern cables/casing.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:27 PM

Had to resurrect this thread because after reading it originally, I've been looking for an opportunity to try using a dremel for a new cable installation. I did so today and found it to be infinitely more annoying than simply using proper cutting pliers and a file to clean up the cut. The heat generated from the cutting wheel does melt and/or soften the outer housing which makes the end look sloppy. Worse, the inner lining of the housing kept melting such that the inner cable wouldn't pass through at all because of the melted plastic blockage. I found that pushing cable through while the inner lining hadn't cooled down and re-hardened completely helped to eliminate the blockage. The usual awl clean-up often pushed the blockage further in. I like rotary tools, dremels or pneumatic ones, but for cable housing cutting I'm placing one more vote for the tried and true method.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:13 AM

Gotta do it fast and quick, at a high speed, with a fibre wheel.
Otherwise, results as you have described.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:03 AM

A neighbor used a die grinder. Worked well and fast.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:19 AM

I have a Pedro's cutter, and it basically doesn't work on brake cables. I need to file down the end for several minutes to get it nice and smooth after the cut.

What cutter currently on the market do you all recommend? Several have mentioned the Shimano CT10, which is not available now, replaced by the CT12.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I have a Pedro's cutter, and it basically doesn't work on brake cables. I need to file down the end for several minutes to get it nice and smooth after the cut.

What cutter currently on the market do you all recommend? Several have mentioned the Shimano CT10, which is not available now, replaced by the CT12.

Thanks!
The CT-12 cutters are essentially the same as the CT-10. The cutting blade section is the same, they changed the handle shape and material and the crimping area. Other than that they are the same and work the same. Excellent cutters. I have a pair but never use them cause the 2 pair of CT-10's are still perfect.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post

Thanks!
Brake cable housing needs to be cut in two steps to avoid having to file the end flat.

First step is to slowly clamp the cutter onto rotating/bending housing until one blade slips between adjacent coils, then cut.

Second step is to rotate the cable housing against half-closed jaws until the big burr catches on one of the blades, then clip it off.

Learning curve for this fast two-step cut goes quickly.

I don't know how the brand of cutter makes any difference. The shape of the blades (the sharpening angle and the (lack of) a circular indentation in the blades) could affect the ease of achieving results.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Rockstruck

Calvin Jones suggests different cutters for brake and shifters: starting at 5:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5MrDgLhHI (he does note that cutters like the Pedros, Felcos, Parks, etc. will work on brake cables.)

I came across this thread the day after I bought a pair of Pedro's at the LBS. So I tried out the Pedros on the shifters, my existing angle cutters (a bit like those Calvin shows) and the Dremel on the brake cutters. All worked well, but the Dremel involved more setup, care and risk, and is no substitute for having a pair of cutters at hand, e.g. when it comes to trimming cables installed on the bike. Sorta wish the Pedros had a crimper, but most any other pair of pliers work there.

Last edited by RWL2222; 10-12-2020 at 01:27 PM.